Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday 5th January

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Laurina has had multiple entries to take on Champion Hurdle contenders but yet swerved them all to run that joke of a mares race. I don't think what the connections have done is accidental at all. I think it will run over 2m4 like it did today in the mares race at Cheltenham.

No they haven't done it accidentally. She hasn't run to date became of the ground. Why would they risk her on it this early in the season. She will be running on decent ground in Cheltenham so time enough.
    They think she is an absolute monster and in a poor champion hurdle she will lead home a WP forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looks like she needs it soft. Will she get that at the festival?

She will go the mares imo. Otherwise they would be testing her in top races before March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

They'll have a fair idea of how she'd go against Melon, Sharjah et al and someones backed her to the extent she's extremely short based on anything done on track.
    I suppose the decision for them is 7 lbs off Beuver D'air and the rest or levels v Apples Jade?

How many proper tests in open company did Annie Power get before her CH? World Hurdle?

They'll have a fair idea of how she'd go against Melon, Sharjah et al and someones backed her to the extent she's extremely short based on anything done on track.
    I suppose the decision for them is 7 lbs off Beuver D'air and the rest or levels v Apples Jade?

How many proper tests in open company did Annie Power get before her CH? World Hurdle?

Certainly more than Laurina. Beat Zarkandar a couple of times on the snaff and had course form on good ground and went off around 3/1 in a weak enough Champ Hurdle. Laurina is nearly that price now and facing a 2 time champion in his prime and has never run on decent ground.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Looks like she needs it soft. Will she get that at the festival?

She will go the mares imo. Otherwise they would be testing her in top races before March.

She doesn't need it soft but why risk her on it before you have to?

They know exactly what they have, so why bottom her out before the big day. WPM a genius. Owner wants the CH and that is where she will run.

• Advertisement

Certainly more than Laurina. Beat Zarkandar a couple of times on the snaff and had course form on good ground and went off around 3/1 in a weak enough Champ Hurdle. Laurina is nearly that price now and facing a 2 time champion in his prime and has never run on decent ground.

Well they think she is a fair bit better than Melon who was just beaten in the CH last year. Winner alright, winner alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I just can't keep my mouth shut on this Laurina waffle any longer. The 4-1 currently on offer is a crap price. Who has she ever beat in open company? All of her form is on soft or heavier ground. This nonsense needs to stop. Anyone who thinks 4-1 is value needs their head examined.

If she turns out to be as good as she is I am delighted for her and her connections. As it stands she is rated 152. This is the same rating as any of the current leading novice hurdlers. How many of those are 4-1 for the champion hurdle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I just can't keep my mouth shut on this Laurina waffle any longer. The 4-1 currently on offer is a crap price. Who has she ever beat in open company? All of her form is on soft or heavier ground. This nonsense needs to stop. Anyone who thinks 4-1 is value needs their head examined.

If she turns out to be as good as she is I am delighted for her and her connections. As it stands she is rated 152. This is the same rating as any of the current leading novice hurdlers. How many of those are 4-1 for the champion hurdle?

1000 percent agree with the above, bvd is rated 169 and she gets the allowance. Still has loads to find but at 4s its a crazy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Sounds like a good lay opportunity for you if you feel that strongly.

The what has she beaten argument is a bit bogus as Buveur Dair could hardly have been more decisive than she has been in dispatching very inferior opponents. She’s beaten everything she’s faced on the snaff.

You are right though in that she hasn’t been tested and might well fall short of what’s required when upped against the very best. I saw someone post that she’d need to improve a stone to challenge Apples Jade. The problem with that argument is that we don’t know her current ability and the handicapper doesn’t either. What we can say is that it’s north of 152. How far north is conjecture.

The weight of money must tell something about the regard that she is held in by Willie and co. It’s not all mug punters money that has her where she is in the betting.

Kauto wrote: »
    She doesn't need it soft but why risk her on it before you have to?

They know exactly what they have, so why bottom her out before the big day. WPM a genius. Owner wants the CH and that is where she will run.

All her form is on a bog. How do you know she will handle decent ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

All her form is on a bog. How do you know she will handle decent ground?

That certainly is a question mark. None of her sires progeny have ever won a race in Ire/UK on ground with good in the description from very few opportunities admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

ground wont be good on day 1 lads, that's a given
    twill we watered to death if no rain
    ground wont be an issue
    good to soft at absolute best
    anything with soft in the name and with a race already run on it will be fine for her

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

They know what they have in Closutton lads. Doesn’t matter what she’s done or how she has looked. Bigger engine than Annie is what I’ve heard

The Mig wrote: »
    They know what they have in Closutton lads. Doesn’t matter what she’s done or how she has looked. Bigger engine than Annie is what I’ve heard

They regularly don't know. If it was that straightforward they stable lads would be driving Lambos.

They'll know when we know on the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

They regularly don't know. If it was that straightforward they stable lads would be driving Lambos.

They'll know when we know on the 12th.

That doesn’t make sense.
    In general you can get an idea in a big yard by how a horse runs in its work against graded animals.

Earendil wrote: »
    That doesn’t make sense.
    In general you can get an idea in a big yard by how a horse runs in its work against graded animals.

Of course, yeah.

They don't how good a horse is going to be on the track though, i.e. that Laurina will be as good as Annie Power.

Plenty of horses touted as machines by various yards have not been machines. It's not that simple.

Advertisement