Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT bike - thoughts

Options
  • 29-12-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new TT bike and race wheels.

What are all the cool kids riding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

depends on the cool kids budgets ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What I am looking for is suggestions of brands and models I suppose - what are people riding and how happy are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/triathlon-bikes/2018-andean-3-pre-built-41

Disc breaks, electronic SRAM, HED wheels, loads of storage for your bits... it looks like its been designed by someone with a red A4 sheet, Set squares and compass, and exacto knife, but I think it owns its own style.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

tunney wrote: »
    What I am looking for is suggestions of brands and models I suppose - what are people riding and how happy are they?

I use the Kuota Kalibur with Di2 & Cant fault it! Love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

If I was in the market again I would give Quintana Roo serious consideration. I like that they have made ease of ownership a priority. Simon Ward had the designer on a podcast a couple of months back - worth a listen.

• Advertisement

ray o wrote: »
    If I was in the market again I would give Quintana Roo serious consideration. I like that they have made ease of ownership a priority. Simon Ward had the designer on a podcast a couple of months back - worth a listen.

Looked at them. The cabling seems a bit dirty, exposed up front. Will check out the podcast, cheers.

Anyone own a Canyon?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Looked at them. The cabling seems a bit dirty, exposed up front. Will check out the podcast, cheers.

Anyone own a Canyon?

Lot of Canyons and Argons in the club over last 2-3 years. Haven’t heard any complaints

I have a Shiv (not the new one), it’s been troublesome, but when it’s happy... it’s great :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Canyon is a lovely looking bike, my only concern with them is the parts, a lot seem to be specific to canyon and have to be bought from them, like headsets.

Trek speed concept, p5, argon 18 e119 or felt IA is probably what I would be looking at if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Just to add, I've had/have a speed concept and have the argon 18 e119. Both great bikes, both fast bikes, both have little if any external cabling. I'd say the argon is easier to adjust, the stem on the trek is a block that the bar is based on, all the cabling is thru this so it's a big enough job to change the height of the bars. Argon is bit easier to work on the front end, easy to add stack and the reach is pretty decent too, but more tilt available on the argon bars. Both have good bit of integrated storage too.

Both I'd say though are coming to the end of their life spans and I'd say we will see disc versions of both soon. Had seen pictures of heather Jackson on a disc brake argon before but nothing mentioned yet and the pictures are gone. From talking to rob in wheelworx he thinks it might be same for speed concept, no huge changes mainly the additional of disc brakes. Bit like the new felt IA's coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Anyone own a Canyon?

I've seen them with the Tririg Alpha One added and they're damn sweet once cleaned up.

Canyon get good reviews from anyone I know with one.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have a Canyon Speedmax, no complaints. Bang for buck the Canyons are hard to beat, and if you're willing to wait a while there's value to be had in the outlet store, getting the right size/model may take patience though. Have bought from the outlet twice, zero issues and I got what could pass for brand new bikes. They operate a 30 day return on new bikes, no questions asked, so I suspect a lot of brand new bikes wind up there having been returned for sizing issues. Getting the size right can be tricky, given that it's online only, but there's enough info on the site geometry wise to make it reasonably easy to figure out.

Getting parts for them can take slightly longer than buying from the likes of Wiggle etc, but it's really only headsets and possibly stems that are an issue. They've swapped stems for me FOC on new bikes to sort fit issues, so it's unlikely that's going to be an issue again, as for headsets they can be ordered direct from Canyon, takes about a week for delivery. The way I look at it a headset generally won't fail suddenly, it's a 'planned' replacement type of job so having to order one from them doesn't really bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I'm in the market for a new TT bike and race wheels.

What are all the cool kids riding?

the fact is that unlike 2011 when the fastest bikes where cervelo p4 and trek speed concept there is now many more bikes at that level

still the 2 above named bikes would still be as fast as anything out there and in many cases faster , so in short at the top end nothing much has changed .

what has changed is that on the whole tt bikes have become shorter and higher to make them more usable for the weekend warrior and it has become harder to get them into real race positons ( cervelo p 5 for instance many pros struggle to get that right)

out of the box the trek speed conept 7.5 is one i would look at if i were you and if you want to customize the cervelo p2 ad 3 frame are still very good and will work for you, but both come with sub standart aero bars.
    i think you ( as in you dave) will get very frustrated with canyon.

of course you have to make the decisonson if you buy new disc break or no disc break if disc break i would say value wise quinta roo for disc brakes the rest is more like day light robbery.

wheels wise i would give zipp the fingers and look at hed or swiss side.

and one bike i think you would enjoy ( if the price is right in irelnad)

is premier bike the full bike with race wheels race chain and great travel case is $5600 and unlike canyon i think you would enjoy the interaction more as you deal with the owner of the company who knows his stuff . and i guess thats important for and with you lol

where do you stand on disc brakes peter?
    a) for road bikes
    b) for Tri bikes

where do you stand on disc brakes peter?
    a) for road bikes
    b) for Tri bikes

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Disc_Brake_Primer_-_Part_1_6977.html

i think i stand very closely where this guy stands about pros and cons ( iam not even sure if thats the right article and if not the guy has written some other stuff on it)

for me non drafting tri is no ( more expensive , more work more weight ,added risk something getting bent in transit ( the rotor) , also in case of puncture you need to be more accucrate fixing t the wheel so it dosnt touch rotor which i would think at race stress is something many do not fancy)

but then again there is reasons when they can make sense.

if i was a bike racer or itu it would be a likely yes ( not a happy one as i find them more annoying ) again for a training road bike no

really useful on tandem as a 3rd break( where i have one) for longer downhills and cyclecross re dirt not clocking up as much.

on the other hand if one is really nervous even for tt bike about breaking and downhills it can be the right thing so i guess as always the answer is it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Is it a case that most development in future will be focused on disc brake wheels so that in the medium (long?) term they will stop producing rim brake versions of new wheels? i.e. will the manufacturers eventually force everyone to disc wheels? I guess it doesn't make a difference if you plan to keep the wheels for as long as you keep the bike anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

Great Question on disk brakes wrt road v tri. Great reply from Peter K. The slowtwitch article is really enlightening for me.

mcdonrob wrote: »
    Great Question on disk brakes wrt road v tri. Great reply from Peter K. The slowtwitch article is really enlightening for me.

Yeah, hard to read that and think disc brakes for road/tri are a good idea.

Direct mount rim brakes seem the way to go.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Is it a case that most development in future will be focused on disc brake wheels so that in the medium (long?) term they will stop producing rim brake versions of new wheels? i.e. will the manufacturers eventually force everyone to disc wheels? I guess it doesn't make a difference if you plan to keep the wheels for as long as you keep the bike anyway.

my guess is that like mechanical shiffting and electronic shifting. both disc and non disc will keep going in the furture. potentially i guess disc will become a bit more dominant than eletcronic

and the thing is i thing there is still imprpvement to be made between tyre and rim intigration and this is where a disc rim gives more freedom

for that.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154692

Interesting one on the aero cost of disc brakes on road bikes.

Also a point raised that I had said in a bike shop previously. Everyone moves to disc brakes, then weight limit for bikes dropped/removed, and now everyone needs to buy rim brakes again.........

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=154692

Interesting one on the aero cost of disc brakes on road bikes.

Also a point raised that I had said in a bike shop previously. Everyone moves to disc brakes, then weight limit for bikes dropped/removed, and now everyone needs to buy rim brakes again.........

going to have a closer look at this over the weekend but isnt the fastest bike a disc break bike ?

ps is there a public protocol how they tested numbers like 203 just mean realy nothing... 203 at what yaw or how did the distrubte different jaws

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    going to have a closer look at this over the weekend but isnt the fastest bike a disc break bike ?

ps is there a public protocol how they tested numbers like 203 just mean realy nothing... 203 at what yaw or how did the distrubte different jaws

Yes - but its the comparison of the disc to rim of the same model bike.
    No rim brake system six to compare to.

Yes - but its the comparison of the disc to rim of the same model bike.
    No rim brake system six to compare to.

the head C engineer said the disc bike is faster.( only a tinny bit but faster)

Advertisement