Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chair loose joints and fractured wood

Options
  • 06-01-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Several of these chairs...of sentimental value with loose and crumbling joints. Fixing the loose joints has been straightforward with new dowels, drill, glue and strapping...

However many joints are crumbling into sawdust... what do do here... It looks like cutting out to much wood for so much work.. I am tryinv a few steel braces too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Try and let in new wood by half lapping the joints.Cut out the bad wood and simply glue in a good hardwood to match. Its rare that the entire joint is rotten. If the chairs are worth salvaging try and do it properly - metal brackets are a bit of a bodge at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Thanks... my partner has the idea we can perfect restoration..., which I thought would be along those lines of cutting away wood.

Don't think I could easily do that hardwood matching you suggest..Hence I am limiting my material choice to that I can easily handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The easiest way to match the wood is to use wood of a similar age and type, can get some old mahogany to use a doner wood,

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Thanks.. I have an old mahogany shelf.. Well some sort of heavy darkwood. I guess if it makes someone happy its worth it.. Should I be going with old cow hoof glue was well, or is PVA ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will have to cut out any bad wood and remake the joint. You can glue a few pieces of the mahogany shelf together to get the required thickness.
    Looking at the photo the frame is quite thick but is not a 'chippendale' alas so you can use PVA glue for restoration. The trick as usual is to have the right clamp for the job. You might have to use some wood dye and coloured wax to blend it all together - all part of the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Some pics of the whole chair would be helpful?

Another option is to go the opposite and use a timber that contrasts with the existing so that you acknowledge your repair and highlight it for it's own sake. Accept the imperfection and it might look better than trying to approximate the aging with dye or stain. Not saying you want to but it can look well too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Advertisement