Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lathe buying advice

Options
  • 02-01-2019 12:57am

I'm looking for a lathe for occasional use making things like knobs and basic spindles/legs. No need for or interest in bowl/ornamental turning.

I owned a Record CL3 about 15 years ago, but it was overkill. It was put to similar use, which was kind of a waste of a nice machine.

I've found a Record DML 24x that's taken my interest. It's an older blue coloured model, but it's in good condition from the pictures. Just includes the standard screw drive and I'm not sure if it's a live centre or not, but that's not a major factor as I'm happy enough to replace and add appropriate bits and pieces like that.

Any ideas on what I should be checking and how? Headstock bearings? Motor? What can I do to check these if the lathe's been taken off the bench (I think it has)?

Comments

Bought it. Basic machine, well made, in fine condition and affordable for the little use it will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Drive belt may want changing. Bear in mind if you have to remove the drive shaft that there are (iirc) two grub screws in the same thread that need removing to change the belt - one grub screw locks the other in place. One of those things that took me a while to work out without the instructions :o

Advertisement