Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High index Reading glasses?

Options
  • 25-11-2018 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Single vision spectacles

I have a -7 prescription for distance glasses.

My reading glasses are +2.5 in both eyes.

What I can't understand is this:

When I hold my reading glasses in my hand and look across the lenses I can see all the rings at the side just like my distance glasses have.

Should my reading glasses not look similar to the ones you can get in the shop with no jam jar rings in them and nice and light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭jeoun

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Single vision spectacles

I have a -7 prescription for distance glasses.

My reading glasses are +2.5 in both eyes.

What I can't understand is this:

When I hold my reading glasses in my hand and look across the lenses I can see all the rings at the side just like my distance glasses have.

Should my reading glasses not look similar to the ones you can get in the shop with no jam jar rings in them and nice and light.

The +2.50 is the difference between your distance and reading power. So if you are -7.00 in your distance, you add (-7.00) + (+2.50) = -4.50

So the power of your reading glasses is -4.50 which means your lenses are still a minus power hence why they look similar to your distance glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks for that I kinda get what your saying, I'm going for an eye test shortly,
    and if I decide I don't want to change my distance glasses.

can I change my reading glasses (if necessary) just for close up reading but not based on my distance prescription but on its own.

appreciate your help

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

danjo-xx wrote: »
    thanks for that I kinda get what your saying, I'm going for an eye test shortly,
    and if I decide I don't want to change my distance glasses.

can I change my reading glasses (if necessary) just for close up reading but not based on my distance prescription but on its own.

appreciate your help

But if you get the reading glasses that will completely disregard your distance prescription, it would mean they would only function if you had e.g. contact lenses in.

Advertisement