Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d Printer for beginner ?

Options
  • 13-11-2017 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'd like to get a 3D printer, but I'm new to it.
    I'm pretty technical, but I have 2 young kids so don't have that much time to build something from scratch.
    Any recommendations as to what to go for ?
    I'm thinking around 300 Euro for the budget, but could stretch it a bit if needed to.
    Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddy_murphy

Much interested in this! Is still the famous MakerBot available in the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneod1

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'd like to get a 3D printer, but I'm new to it.
    I'm pretty technical, but I have 2 young kids so don't have that much time to build something from scratch.
    Any recommendations as to what to go for ?
    I'm thinking around 300 Euro for the budget, but could stretch it a bit if needed to.
    Thanks !

For that money you are pretty limited to what build size and extras you can get.

In my opinion the best low cost printer out there at the moment is the creality CR-10. I bought one about 4 months ago and have ever had an issue with it.

I got it from a site called gearbest and it cost me at the time about €350 shipped to my door.

It comes mostly assembled. All you have to do is bolt the gantry to the bed frame and plug in a few cables. I think there are 4 types. All of which have big build volume.

My CR-10 has a build volume of 300x300x400. I know you can get it up to 500x500x500 but i think that one is about a grand.

My best advice is have a look on youtube. There are a few very good reviewers that will give you an indication of what printer to go for and what price. Have a look at Makers Muse, 3d printing nerd, press reset and Thomas Sanladerer.

Press reset's review of the CR10 is what made me buy one.

I also have a Wanhao Duplicator I3 but i dont really use it anymore since i bought the CR10.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneod1

Much interested in this! Is still the famous MakerBot available in the market?

Hi Paddy,

Makerbot are still around but they are more on the high end of desktop printing. They were fantastic at the start but then sold their IP to straysas and that changed the whole MO of the company. Their printers are very expensive and i think there are some better options when it comes to the higher end printers. Ultimaker is superb and also the Prusa Mk2S is one of the best in the world and still under a grand.

What is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

As a starter I went with the Anet A8 Desktop - it's quite cheap and you can print some upgrades for it that apparently really help.
    I like tinkering around with stuff so this seems good for me, but might not suit others.
    Its' only 120 Euros on GearBest : https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html?wid=21

Here's a review of it
    and
    Here's some of the upgrades
    There are more upgrades you can do also.

It's not been shipped yet, but hopefully I'll have it in time for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

deadl0ck wrote: »
    As a starter I went with the Anet A8 Desktop - it's quite cheap and you can print some upgrades for it that apparently really help.
    I like tinkering around with stuff so this seems good for me, but might not suit others.
    Its' only 120 Euros on GearBest : https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_337314.html?wid=21

Here's a review of it
    and
    Here's some of the upgrades
    There are more upgrades you can do also.

It's not been shipped yet, but hopefully I'll have it in time for Christmas
    shaneod1 wrote: »
    For that money you are pretty limited to what build size and extras you can get.

In my opinion the best low cost printer out there at the moment is the creality CR-10. I bought one about 4 months ago and have ever had an issue with it.

I got it from a site called gearbest and it cost me at the time about €350 shipped to my door.

Just happened to see 3D printers advertised on website and had no idea until now that they could be bought for such low prices.

I know this is an old thread but I don't know anyone who owns a 3D printer and I curious as to what you guys use it for in the home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

I'm looking into getting one of these too for the STEM club I run in my primary school. I'd love to hear more reviews from people on here on what they bought and if they'd recommend it.

Advertisement