Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of "Hydrated Lime"

Options
  • 20-01-2019 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi

In the process of moving home and there's a big bag of "hydrated lime" powder in the shed. I won't have time to do pH tests on the soil (out next week so that's a job for new owner !!). What's the best way to dispose of it ?. I don't want to leave it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Feck it in the green bin??

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

How big is the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Raven_k42

Similar size to the large bags of compost - and about 30% used. I can try and see if there's a weight on the bag tomorrow. Don't fancy throwing it in the green bin - not convinced exposing the bin men to a blast is a good idea !. Is it dangerous or toxic at all ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Similar size to the large bags of compost - and about 30% used. I can try and see if there's a weight on the bag tomorrow. Don't fancy throwing it in the green bin - not convinced exposing the bin men to a blast is a good idea !. Is it dangerous or toxic at all ??

I've spread lime with my bare hands and didn't have any adverse reaction. I might be wrong but I don't think it's toxic atall. If you swallow it tho,. Different story then

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

I've spread lime with my bare hands and didn't have any adverse reaction. I might be wrong but I don't think it's toxic atall. If you swallow it tho,. Different story then

It's non toxic but would be considered an irritant. If you know any local farmers they'll should take it off your hands as it is used as a natural disinfectant for cattle housing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement