Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving parts from an old full suss to a new hardtail

Options
  • 20-01-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have an old full suss that I always thought was too small for me and felt like I was always about to go over the handle bar. It also would have that older geom from 2005.

I have seen a new 2019 hardtail frame. I have checked and it will all my old parts from the old bike except for a headset adapter i'll have to fit. It's on offer and it seems a bit bigger .

Old bike full suss
    Effective top tube 580mm
    Headtube angle 69 degrees 30'

Possible new frame HT
    Effective top tube 620mm
    Headtube angle 68 degree

I wanted to ask here if those in the know would think that's enough of a significant difference in size/headtube angle that I'd notice the bike being more fun to ride.

Also I am thinking that a new geometry Hardtail that fits is better than an old geometry full suss that is too small? Also the hardtail is more future proof and can take 27.5 wheels and has an oval headtube.

I only do easy trail center stuff like the ballyhouras so I imagine I wont really miss the rear suspension

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Hi

I have an old full suss that I always thought was too small for me and felt like I was always about to go over the handle bar. It also would have that older geom from 2005.

I have seen a new 2019 hardtail frame. I have checked and it will all my old parts from the old bike except for a headset adapter i'll have to fit. It's on offer and it seems a bit bigger .

Old bike full suss
    Effective top tube 580mm
    Headtube angle 69 degrees 30'

Possible new frame HT
    Effective top tube 620mm
    Headtube angle 68 degree

I wanted to ask here if those in the know would think that's enough of a significant difference in size/headtube angle that I'd notice the bike being more fun to ride.

Also I am thinking that a new geometry Hardtail that fits is better than an old geometry full suss that is too small? Also the hardtail is more future proof and can take 27.5 wheels and has an oval headtube.

I only do easy trail center stuff like the ballyhouras so I imagine I wont really miss the rear suspension

I hope the headtube isn't oval...

I just updated in a similar way, the new geometry will blow you away.

Might be worth getting a shorter stem and wider bars to go with the new frame to match the geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It also would have that older geom from 2005.

I have seen a new 2019 hardtail frame.

You want to put 14 year old parts onto a new frame?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

well I was replacing parts on it as I went so I have some fairly modern stuff on it , modern xt brakes/ rotors etc , race face N/W , dropper post , tubeless tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

well I was replacing parts on it as I went so I have some fairly modern stuff on it , modern xt brakes/ rotors etc , race face N/W , dropper post , tubeless tyres

I would be considering stem length & height, steerer offset, and hub width/diameter before any of those other parts you just listed. How you, the rider, are positioned with modern frame geometry is quite different to old school frame geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Thanks I have a wide bar 780mm and short stem 60 mm that should match the new bike

this new frame actually takes the 135mm hubs on the wheel I have

steerer offset i'm not familiar with I think the fork is a fox float 140mm

I'm wondering if an extra 4 cm of toptube and a degree slacker headtube is noticeable enough an improvement to make it worth doing

• Advertisement
Advertisement