Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS App Permissions

Options
  • 19-01-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. Quick question for any of you iPhone/iPad users. I don't have one myself, and we (at work) are having issues with an App that keeps getting put to sleep. This interferes with the Apps main function, and causes functions for a device to not working correctly until the App is opened and it gets permissions again. Yes, it would make sense if the powers that be gave us an iPhone to test this with, but c'est la vie.

We've contacted Apple who are possibly the most useless shower I've ever had to deal with, and tried to fob everything off on anything but themselves. We thought we had all the power saving settings sorted, but still the App keeps getting put to sleep, especially for those who don't use their phones very often.

Is there some special setting or something that we can perform to tell the iPhone/iPad to just leave an App alone to do its thing? We don't want it controlled at all, and want it to have permission to run/check background data 24/7. Below is what we have:

Check Permissions

* Tap on your phones settings
    * Tap on 'General'
    * Tap on 'Background App Refresh'
    * Ensure it is on by tapping the switch at the top to the right/green
    * Find the Canary App and ensure the switch is also to the right/green

Battery optimisation

* Open your Android phone Settings.
    * Tap on Battery.
    * Tap the menu icon in the top right corner.
    * Select Battery optimisation.
    * Where it says not optimised tap that and change to all apps.
    * Scroll until you see Canary app and tap it.
    * Change to Don't optimise.

Background data

* Open your Android phone Settings.
    * Tap on Data usage.
    * Select the Canary app from the menu.
    * Make sure that the Restrict app background data is Off.

And aside from 'Don't use a power saving mode, such as Low Power mode', we're stuck as to what else could be causing this. Any and all help would be massively appreciated! I've tried to use appetise.io but without paying for it, you're limited to 30 seconds and it doesn't have full phone functionality.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Third party apps can't run in the background 24/7. Only for 10 minutes at most I think. After that only apps that use certain background permissions (VOIP, GPS, etc) can keep running and Apple is very strict about what they allow. App developers have workarounds but it will usually get the app rejected from the App Store so only possible with side-loaded apps. And even then I'm pretty sure newer versions of iOS will reign in apps that are raping the battery after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That is fantastic information I was not aware of! Thank you.

Advertisement