Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Register my foriegn marriage for Tax

• 18-01-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,

My wife and I are both Irish and got married in Croatia not too long ago. It was a civil ceremony and recently we received the Marriage Cert. I've been searching for a while now and can't find any way to register our marriage with the tax office. There is a list of certain registered foreign marriages that Revenue will recognise but Croatia doesn't seem to be there.

I'm just wondering has anyone had any experience registering a marriage in Croatia or a country not recognised by revenue?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,710 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Revenue page is slightly misleading. What they are actually talking about there is foreign marriages/civil partnerships that are recognised in Ireland as creating the equivalent of an Irish civil partnership. This dates from back in the days when we didn't have samee-sex marriage, but some other countries did; there was a list of countries whos marriages between a same sex couple would be regarded as creating an Irish civil partnership (which, at the time, was all that was available to same-sex couples in Ireland).

Assuming you and your wife are of opposite sexes, none of this is relevant to your situation. You're in pretty much the same situation as is you had got married in Ireland; you just tell the revenue you're married, and opt for joint assessment (or whatever form of assessment you want). If they need to see your marriage cert, they'll ask for it.

Advertisement