Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10 updates back on track

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

bogman wrote: »

They're also promising to focus more on quality and transparency from now on, about time. Two major updates in a row with major problem is an embarrassment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

WIN 10 updates are unfortunately still NOT on track, they have yet again managed to cause significant problems

Well, it would be nice to see the reality of this being demonstrated, but my experience this week flies in the face of that statement, and I have been lucky not to have a much bigger problem, as they still seem not to have got it right.

I have a new Lenovo Laptop here, which received a critical BIOS update a couple of days ago, and after that, everything seemed to be working, albeit that using a PIN to log in to Windows didn't work after the upgrade, it has to be set up again to allow a PIN to be used to log in. Later, while I was out, Windows decided that it would start downloading version 1809, the machine was running 1803.

Once it had downloaded, it started installing, which didn't greatly please me, in that I would have been happier to have been able to carry out a backup before it made fundamental changes to my setup and configuration.

On completion, it needed a reboot, and that's when the fun started, after everything was up and running again, it wasn't up and running, in that it was impossible to log in to Windows, as the PIN/Password window would not accept input, so logging in could not be done. The mouse worked, and I could select Icons, but it wasn't possible to type anything in.

Tried all the usual options, like a power down, a full power off, a reboot etc, but nothing. Then tried forcing it into Safe mode, which it went into, and there was enough keyboard to navigate the boxes, but nothing to help other than to take the option to unwind the update, which I eventually did, and after that, I could log in again, and everything seemed to be OK.

Went online after I'd checked a few things, and allowed Microsoft online support to disable Updates, so it won't brick again, but it also won't install any other patches that may be required for things like Defender, or drivers, and I'm not sure how I will find out if this issue has been fixed or not, right now, I don't know if this is (another) Microsoft mess, or if it's a mixture of a Microsoft issue combined with a BIOS issue, and at the moment, Lenovo have not responded to my support request, but I am aware that a huge number of machines were being recommended to update their BIOS, so this update was clearly significant, but there's no details on line about exactly what was patched, or why.

So, while I have a working machine for now, it's far from fixed, in that I can't get any updates or patches until we undo the changes that were made to prevent it bricking itself again.

So, yet again, Microsoft are in trouble with me, I'm not a sharp end user as such any more, but it seems that even regular users are being screwed by Microsoft with the way that they are (mis)managing the updates to users systems. That does not impress me one little tiny bit, their neglect of basic security concepts, like allowing users to back up critical data before performing an update seems to have been abandoned, probably because they assume (wrongly) that users will use Cloud backup to protect their data.

I'm not sure if that attitude can be best described as ignorant or arrogant, either way, putting user critical data at risk is not something that they should be doing, even more so with an update that's been seen to be fundamentally flawed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi guys. I am looking for some help here.

I had installed the new October 2018 update from Windows 10 on my laptop yesterday. I had installed it via the Windows 10 update assistant from Microsoft's website. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C50-B-137. I bought it on the 12th of July 2014 from D.I.D. Electrical in Stillorgan.

The laptop is having some issues with the graphics card at the moment with it not being up to date. The last version that is working now is from the 4th of April 2016. It's working driver version number for now is 10.18.10.4425. The graphics card is an Intel HD Graphics Card. I should have realized that Toshiba had installed this card as a customized graphics card inside the laptop which is currently not up to date. After I installed the update; I discovered that the laptop is not supported for the new Windows 10 update at all according to this list from Toshiba.

The advice that I'm looking for a customized graphics card driver that is compatible for this laptop. I had tried to look for an updated graphics card driver from Toshiba's website. I had no luck so far in searching for one. The last updated display driver from their own website is from 23rd of September 2015. That is of no use to me whatsoever. I need an customized display driver update that is later than the 4th of April 2016. Now; I am aware that if I installed a generic graphics card from Intel; I will cause instability on my computer system which can range from very minor to having major issues.

There is a another thing with D.I.D. Electrical. I have an extended warranty with this company. I had asked a member of staff who said that they apparently don't run their Tech Service division anymore. I had bought the laptop with a 5 year warranty which is due to expire in July 2019. They also had updated their certificate of insurance with A.I.G. They put in a service plan helpline for customers to ring up about their broken or faulty equipment. But it does not cover replacing or updating software on computers or tablets. D.I.D have an email address for customers & a live chat for their customers too. But I'm not sure about them giving update customized graphic card drivers.

Do any also know anything about DCH Universal Windows Drivers between Microsoft & Intel? Does this apply to anyone using Windows 10 on older laptops like mine in future?

I have an article link here about Intel's drivers so you can read it in your own time.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers-windows-10

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I think your best bet is to roll back to 1803.

Using the update tool was a mistake, if Windows Update didn't offer 1809 it was because of compatibility issues.

Pureinfotech have a guide to downloading 1803, if you Google 1803 ISO it's the first result.

There is another big bug which is happening on 1809 which covers the built-in administrator enabled from Windows.

The built-in administrator has been disabled in 1809. It is expected that a hotfix will be given from Windows in late January.
    Currently, if you are using Windows 10 version 1803 and there are people who are considering upgrading to version 1809, it is reported that the built-in Administrator account is inadvertently invalidated , Thank you for your attention.

This problem is known to occur when upgrading from Windows 10 version 1803 to version 1809 when both of the following conditions are satisfied.

// Conditions for occurrence of this problem
    * The built-in Administrator account is valid.
    * There are other accounts that also have Administrator permissions.

We are currently working on solving this problem, and at the moment we aim to release a patch in late January 2019.
    Therefore, if you need to upgrade before the patch is released, please confirm that you can surely sign in with a user with administrative privileges other than the built-in administrator, before you upgrade Please do it.
    Also, if you have already upgraded and you have invalidated the built-in Administrator, you are signed in as a user with administrator privileges other than the built-in Administrator, activate the built-in Administrator Thank you for your kind attention.

You can normally find the built-in administrator in Computer Management. To do that; you follow these instructions.

1. Right-click on Start button.

2. Click on Computer Management.

3. When there; click on Administrator (Local Users & Groups)

4. Finally click on Users.

Now; when I tried to follow the instructions; the option for Administrator was not there to be seen in Computer Management. I am currently using my user account with Administrator privileges. Is this issue normal when I use my own microsoft account for this function. It is supposed to be there even when a user account is activated for Administrator use?

FLAC support in Windows native music apps has also been affected with this new update. If you're a fan of music with being an audiophile; it appears that FLAC is broken with no sound coming from some of the format's short music tracks.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3068697/windows-10-users-beg-microsoft-to-stop-giving-them-flac-microsoft-misunderstands

• Advertisement

Just on the question of doing clean reinstall on Windows 10. Have any of you tried an exe file called a Refresh Windows Tool on your device? It was included for those on Windows Insider Program first & then it was subsequently rolled out via public release for anyone using the anniversary update & later versions of Windows 10.

I have read that this process is the exact same as a clean install on your computer. You need to back up everything you need first before you run the refresh tool on your desktop. The difference here is that it's meant to remove every bit of bloatware given from your computer OEM. When the process is finished; the computer turns itself into a Microsoft Signature Edition PC. This is the same as an out of the box experience on your PC when it was like brand new but without the bloatware attached. When you install things like driver updates for example. It will give you just generic drivers via Windows Update instead of customized ones from your OEM's support website.

I have never used this tool before on my device. I'm asking you guys for advice & opinions from anyone who has used this tool before in the past. When I bought my laptop when it was brand new in 2014. It was pre-installed with Windows 8.1. This tool wasn't even in existence at that time. I have Windows 10 1809 right now. But I have no way to rollback to 1803 as of right now. The reason I avoided going back to 1803 was because my graphics card on the laptop was failing leaving me with numerous restarts with BSODs popping up at unexpected moments. I am currently backing up my stuff on the cloud to go ahead with trying this refresh tool from Windows. Is there any good points about this process. Is it any good to do it as ASAP?

Here is the link for the refresh tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10startfresh?wa=wsignin1.0

Windows Update is apparently broken down again for applying 1809 onto people's devices. The problem is caused by an ISP DNS settings. It's causing Windows Update to break down. A temporary workaround is known to fix it for now. We might have to change your DNS to Google DNS instead to let MS download 1809.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/02/02/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-problem-price-cost/#66a3003a213d

When in Windows Update. You get the following message.

“Error encountered. We’ll continue to check daily for newer updates. We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you‘re connected to the Internet.”

There is also an issue with incompatible apps from Windows Store.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-19h1-well-fix-confusing-setup-error-messages-promises-microsoft/

Advertisement