Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken torx head

Options
  • 09-01-2019 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Was torqueing my new scope mounts to 25 inch/lbs when the torx head snaped inside the screw..

Any ideas how to go about removing this without damaging the mounts?

Comments

I’d get in into a vise with padding obviously and use a sharp punch and hammer to back the bolt out.
    Or slot it with a dremmel and use a flat driver.
    Have a look on youtube,loads of interesting videos on the subject!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

I’d get in into a vise with padding obviously and use a sharp punch and hammer to back the bolt out.
    Or slot it with a dremmel and use a flat driver.
    Have a look on youtube,loads of interesting videos on the subject!!!

Theres no actual way to back the bolt out as its attached to the rifle, I need a way to remove the broken screw head in the nut

Have it all sorted now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Out of curiosity how did you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This happened to me when putting a €400 mount on my brothers rifle. Had expensive mount, fancy torque screw driver and used a cheap torx bit. Never again.

I was really lucky, I turned the rifle upside down and the broken torx head fell out, could have been so much worse.

• Advertisement

Was just simply torquing the screws on the mount and the head snapped, the head I used I found in the shed in the fathers tool box so was probably a cheap head and just gave way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That's why boys&girls, cheap tools are NEVER cheap!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Many of these driver bits are designed to break before the screw breaks because it's much harder to remove a broken screw. However as Griz says the cheapo bits that come packaged with cheap tools are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

GolfVI wrote: »
    Was just simply torquing the screws on the mount and the head snapped, the head I used I found in the shed in the fathers tool box so was probably a cheap head and just gave way

I think he meant, how did you get it out ?? ;)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I think he meant, how did you get it out ?? ;)

In that case I used a very small pliers thats used in fly tying to just pull the head out

• Advertisement
Advertisement