Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo editor that will do white background and remove shadows

Options
  • 07-01-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Would be grateful if someone on this forum could recommend an app for a laptop and an iphone that allows you to change the background to white and removes shadows. That's all I want to do.

I am selling stuff online and have some of the free apps such as background blender but it doesn't seem to allow me to select parts of the photo in detail.
    I tried gimp but it's beyond me.

Would I be best to lay out cash on Photoshop Elements?

Would be grateful for any advice - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

belinda502 wrote: »

You'll either have to learn GIMP, learn PS or pay somebody to do it for you.

Also remember that when product photogs do this they use a flash to remove most of the background before they start. If you start with a messy image the result will take longer and look inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Thanks for the advice - yes - that's pretty much what happened - the images were not great to start with as there isn't enough light where I live. I took them on the ground on the only white carpet in the house -but it's so dark even when I enhanced them afterwards with Windows 10 photo editor they're grainy and you can't see the material properly (selling clothes) -

I actually looked into getting a flash attachment for the camera I borrowed today - a Panasonic DMC-GF6K - got a shock at how expensive they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Would be grateful if someone on this forum could recommend an app for a laptop and an iphone that allows you to change the background to white and removes shadows. That's all I want to do.

I am selling stuff online and have some of the free apps such as background blender but it doesn't seem to allow me to select parts of the photo in detail.

Would I be best to lay out cash on Photoshop Elements?

Would be grateful for any advice - thanks.

No, they're all going to have a learning curve.
    There is a Gimp forum, so even a search on Google, how do I kind of thing should bring lots of help.

Gimp is easy enough, does take experimenting same as anything though. Make sure you're feathering the selection properly and well zoomed in for complicated parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Thanks for the advice - yes - that's pretty much what happened - the images were not great to start with as there isn't enough light where I live. I took them on the ground on the only white carpet in the house -but it's so dark even when I enhanced them afterwards with Windows 10 photo editor they're grainy and you can't see the material properly (selling clothes) -

I actually looked into getting a flash attachment for the camera I borrowed today - a Panasonic DMC-GF6K - got a shock at how expensive they were.

Any chance of taking the pictures again, outdoors or on a bed or table somewhere with natural light coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Could you put the clothes on a hanger with a plain background and then try taking the pictures using your phone's flash?.
    For VERY simple editing I use photofiltre. It's free, simple, doesn't need to be installed and has a great variety of plug ins. You can download it HERE

• Advertisement

Yep they'll have to be taken again. Have googled up a bit on photography and apparently the colour is wrong because the white balance is out - I will need to lower the ISO and increase the shutter speed apparently
    The flash gun will be too expensive - I have some fairly strong stand alone torches and will use them and try again.
    I found some info on the pixc.com on budget product photography which was quite good.

Will check out Photofilter thanks. Have already tried taking the photos with the built in flash against against the wall but the flash obviously is not strong enough and the colours come out wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Sounds you are trying to get a Professional results without the experience to achieve it.

The equipment and software are only really useful to someone who has put in the time to make them work. There are really no Apps which will substitute for having done the work and gained the necessary experience and ability.

Products staged like you are seeking may look simple but that is deceptive, as you have discovered. I would suggest you find an easier format for presentation which will be more achievable with your current skill set while you work on improving them, which you have started to do.

Best to concentrate on good fundamentals rather than shortcuts.

Thanks - that's it in a nutshell - going to check out some free photography courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ablelocks

use AI to remove the background for you!

remove.bg

not sure if it also does the white bg for you as well though....

verge article

Advertisement