Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technically the truth.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

f
    Grinchbot wrote: »
    McGodwins law.

It is now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Humans are the only mamal that.....
    -cant fly, but do!
    -have to learn how to swim!
    -drink milk when adults!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Humans are the only animal that can swim a river, climb a tree, and run forty kilometres under the heat of the noon sun while you overheat and when your brain cooks throw stones at you and then beat you to death with a stick.

Every other animal's nightmare, the persistence hunters that come in packs 150 strong and will slaughter your entire species if they even think you are a threat to their young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Correction!

They are British subjects, not citizens, no Brit is a citizen technically
    "British citizen" is the correct legal term for someone who holds citizenship of the United Kingdom, and has been since 1983, when it replaced the term "Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies".

"British Subject" used to be the correct term, but that hasn't been the case since 1948.

British subjects today are a small, and closed, and declining class of people who have an ancestral connection with the UK but don't have citizenship of the UK or of any other Commonwealth country. British subjects don't, as such, have a right of abode in the United Kingdom.

(Ironically, most British subjects alive today are Irish citizens.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Kolido wrote: »
    Technically not true.

I don't know man. Veins seem to work better when kept internal. If you lay the out end to end you'd also be separating them.

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't know man. Veins seem to work better when kept internal. If you lay the out end to end you'd also be separating them.
    You might be dead before you'd finished laying them out, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You might be dead before you'd finished laying them out, though.

Technically true. You may need a buddy to assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One I discovered when trying to understand life on an atomic level, is that no two surfaces really ever meet.

There is always space between them, otherwise the electrons in each thing would hit each other.

So when I sit on the sofa, I'm not really sitting on the sofa! (is that true, really).

NIMAN wrote: »
    One I discovered when trying to understand life on an atomic level, is that no two surfaces really ever meet.

There is always space between them, otherwise the electrons in each thing would hit each other.

So when I sit on the sofa, I'm not really sitting on the sofa! (is that true, really).
    Depends on whether you think the sofa consists only of the particles in the atoms, or also includes the forces that operated between and on the particles in the atoms. And ditto for the atoms in your own body, of course.

Deep, man. I think I feel a Flann O'Brien moment coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Tokyo isn't a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Prostate cancer screening shortens life expectancy.

The shortest commercial flight from Dublin that lands outside the EU will not be different after Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

3DataModem wrote: »
    Prostate cancer screening shortens life expectancy.

Huh?

Huh?

Many people with prostate cancer never have any symptoms or impairments as a result of it.

PSA screening detects the cancer in these people, and puts them on a treatment path, because it is impossible to know if the cancer is one that will impair life or not. However the treatment itself can be life-shortening or altering.

A recent study in europe estimated that for every 1 life saved by screening, 1000 men are screened, and 50 men are treated.

This is why doctors are very very slow to screen young and / or unsymptomatic men.

Huh?

Expectancy being the key word.

Many people with prostate cancer never have any symptoms or impairments as a result of it.

PSA screening detects the cancer in these people, and puts them on a treatment path, because it is impossible to know if the cancer is one that will impair life or not. However the treatment itself can be life-shortening or altering.

A recent study in europe estimated that for every 1 life saved by screening, 1000 men are screened, and 50 men are treated.

This is why doctors are very very slow to screen young and / or unsymptomatic men.

I took it a different way. Person before screening thinks I'll live until I'm 80sih, post screening that expectancy will reduce for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Tokyo isn't a city.

I was looking up where Iwo Jima was yesterday, turns out its in Tokyo, even though its an island 1,200 km south of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I took it a different way. Person before screening thinks I'll live until I'm 80sih, post screening that expectancy will reduce for some.

If a man with prostate cancer was never screened, his life expectancy would be greatly reduced than if he had early screening and treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have all the money I would need to live for the rest of my life, provided my life ended on May 28th, this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

The shortest commercial flight from Dublin that lands outside the EU will not be different after Brexit.
    Cos the planes won't be flying after brexit, amirite

Cos the planes won't be flying after brexit, amirite

Isle of Mann.

Nice loophole from Reddit:

It's not pre-marital sex if you just never get married

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭its_steve116

2 + 2 = 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The first powered aircraft, the Kitty Hawk, flown by the Wright Brothers was simultaneously the best and worst plane to ever fly.

Advertisement