Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of open wardrobes?

• 19-02-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

in the last month 3 different people who visited my house spotted one of my wardrobes slightly ajar and requested that it be closed as it was freaking them out? wtf?

is this a common phobia? and if so what is it called?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

wtf do you have in there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if it's open then whatever monster/murderer that is inside the wardrobe can see you.

if it's closed then you're safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Narniaphobia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

wtf do you have in there?!

just the usual stuff: an old rolled up rug, ironing board and other stored items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

All the socket switches must be off when not in use.

Open doors must be closed.

Standby light on telly/PC must be off.

Harry Potter books must be in order.

I am not excessive compulsive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

They're probably homophobic, they are afraid of someone coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

A common phobia, if you're 5

If you're older it's just attention seeking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

I cannot have curtains open in night time, freaks the hell out of me.

But wardrobes.... Never heard that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My gf is like that, the bedroom door has to be closed, can't be ajar, the red and blue standby lights have to have something put in front of them. I find the whole thing bizarre.

Luckily she hasn't insisted on taking the battery out of the smoke alarm yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

no axe-wielding murderers in my wardrobe, if that's what they're afraid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

When we were kids, if my sister was reading a scary book she would put it under other heavier books before she went asleep, naturally it was my duty as an older brother to take it from the bottom of the pile and move it halfway across the floor towards her bed during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

in the last month 3 different people who visited my house spotted one of my wardrobes slightly ajar and requested that it be closed as it was freaking them out? wtf?

The strangest part of this is that 3 "visitors" are in your bedroom - what sort of place u got there bud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I used to be like that until not too long ago.
    Fine during the day, but I couldn't sleep with an open wardrobe in the room.

I suspect it went back to when I was staying at granny's, she had this massive old wardrobe in the guest bedroom, and when I was little it used to freak me out no end.

I never really thought about it much, until I got together with someone who would always have their wardrobe doors ajar. I hadn't even realised up until then how much it bothered me.

It doesn't any more, btw.
    And again, I'm at a loss to explain why it went away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Shenshen wrote: »
    It doesn't any more, btw.
    And again, I'm at a loss to explain why it went away.

The wardrobe dwellers got your soul, while you were sleeping, after a while you won't even remember that you had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

for the people who don't get why some people have to close their wardrobes, they do it for the same reason you won't sleep with a foot hanging off the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

FatherLen wrote: »
    for the people who don't get why some people have to close their wardrobes, they do it for the same reason you won't sleep with a foot hanging off the bed.

Fear of a cold foot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

most likely fear of the under the bed toe munchers! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PrincessPreach

people with phobias and OCD are like vegetarians....they're just attention seeking whores who are pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

people with phobias and OCD are like vegetarians....they're just attention seeking whores who are pointless

Whores seeking attention, well I never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PrincessPreach

Whores seeking attention, well I never.

Whores seek the attention...the glory...the jewels...the power...getting slammed on the reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Obviously afraid you're video-recording them? Can't be too careful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't believe strong bad is still on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Told this by someone else ages ago. This guy owned a wardrobe in his house. Now this was no ordinary wardrobe, and did not do what normal wardrobes were supposed to do. Instead, it covered a wall which had a hole in it, and led out to the back garden.. Now the owner had some dogs, and of course with the wardrobe leading out to the garden, they would let the dogs out through the wardrobe and into the garden, then close the wardrobe behind them.

To a stranger who didn't know any better though it looked liked something else, and one day he got a call from the R.S.P.C.A, following a complaint from a neighbour who had passed by and saw your man opening the wardrobe door, putting the dogs into the wardrobe, and closing the door again. There's not many people who have wardrobes that act like back doors after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

As a child I was terrified of the wardrobe in my bedroom. It didn't close and I used to borrow/steal a tie from my dad to tie it closed. I was convinced something truly evil lived in it.

On a seperate note, nothing good ever happened in that house, quite the opposite. I can remember being in the back garden and feeling watched 1 afternoon, I looked up and the curtain was clearly moving. Nobody was in the house and all of the windows and doors were shut. It felt like I was being taunted, I was a sensitive child. I insisted on switching bedrooms after that. Thankfully we moved home shortly afterwards.

Just because you're paranoid......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

OP has skeletons in his wardrobe?

Actually.. somewhat similar.. something that does freak me out slightly is when shower curtains are closed when you enter a bathroom. I've seen enough horror movies to know it's a bad idea to open them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Things live in cupboards FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

As a child I was terrified of the wardrobe in my bedroom. It didn't close and I used to borrow/steal a tie from my dad to tie it closed. I was convinced something truly evil lived in it.

On a seperate note, nothing good ever happened in that house, quite the opposite. I can remember being in the back garden and feeling watched 1 afternoon, I looked up and the curtain was clearly moving. Nobody was in the house and all of the windows and doors were shut. It felt like I was being taunted, I was a sensitive child. I insisted on switching bedrooms after that. Thankfully we moved home shortly afterwards.

Just because you're paranoid......

this was'nt your gaff was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

I remember my granny had a really old farmhouse and in one of my Uncle's bedrooms, there was a high wardrobe up in the corner of the room over the bed. It was more of a storage area than anything.

Always remember my uncle trying to frighten me one day. I asked him what was in there and he told me that it was haunted and I should never leave it open at night because ghost would jump out and get me.

I was a little sh*t head when I was younger so when he went out that evening, I messed up the bed to make it look like I was on it, climbed into the wardrobe, left the door ajar and just waited. An hour of so later the Uncle came up into the room and I could hear him bitching about the way I'd left the place. He climbed up to close the door and as he did I leaped out and knocked him over.

Frightened the sh*t outta him but gave me a fear of opened doors for awhile too! Every time I saw an open wardrobe I was sure there was someone waiting to jump me once I passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

It's called were-you-born-in-a-barn-itis...

Had a dose of it myself. Took 4 Metallica records to get over it. I blamed it on the country mother and stephen king books BUT not necessarily in that order...

RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Op
    Is this a way for you to tell everyone that your coming out? ( closet/wardrobe all the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Op
    Is this a way for you to tell everyone that your coming out? ( closet/wardrobe all the same)

It's all metaphysics on after hours this late! :) He probably just needs better hinges!

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ellie.yay

I think I have this. I literally stumbled upon this when searching for other people with the same problem...

For me, it's not really a fear and I don't freak out. It's just... I feel very, VERY uncomfortable when a wardrobe isn't closed well. And not just wardrobes, just cupboards and closets in general. Sometimes I hear someone opening the cupboard, but I don't hear it closing properly, and even though I'm not even in the same ROOM, I still stand up to close the cupboard... I don't know when this develloped, I know I haven't always had this.

No one will see this 'cause it's 2019 already but who knows.... maybe someone else has this too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is it because the wardrobe is full of zombies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Maybe it was the strap-on horse coock sticking out of the door that was freaking them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It's because they fear you walk in it without putting your shoes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

most likely fear of the under the bed toe munchers! :eek:

Your avatar looks like a creature who would hide under beds looking for toes to munch :D

Edit: I've only just realised I'm replying to a post from 6 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Dressing gown hanging on the back of the door. I know some adults who find this to be a no no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement