Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family Tree Layout

• 10-07-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what layout / style do people here think is best suited to present a branch of a family. I have a few versions, but I'm not happy. I want something that is easily readable for a third party. I find my current versions are very confusing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

This is something that I have been struggling with.

For me, the real issue is that a chart showing names and relationships doesn't actually tell much of a story. Knowing the name of one g-g-g-grandfather (which is the furthest I can reach) is not that exciting; knowing something about him would be.

So I am experimenting with writing mini-biographies of couples, telling what I can of their shared history and their family. I'm finding that quite difficult, especially being clear about what I can actually prove, and what components of my account are my best judgement, but not actually proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Most of my branches spread 3 or 4 generations. I would start at the top say with my g.g.g grandparents and name the children say six; plus write up anything I know about the parents, story's, land, etc.

The problem is if these six children married and had families then those children had families.

My g.g. grandfather might be the third child. i.e. the most interesting from my current relations perspective. So they are trying to take in all this info, then trying to understand who child number 4 is and who it's parents were, etc. It's very confusing. I know who's connected to who, but no-one else does!

I've scanned the net for templates, but I just can't seam to come across anything that gives me the right balance i.e. between easiness of understanding
    whilst at the same time still giving loads of info !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I do a bit of both - a family tree laid out in a traditional manner can get messy when you have say 8 kids in one generation and a couple of those having several kids as well, not to mention trying to print out on a standard A4 printer! I just put names and dates on that and do a companion document with paragraphs on the people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

As I said, I'm struggling with this area.

I'm not sold on the usefulness of the family tree as a way of representing things, particularly if you want to include all the descendants of X and Y. It just becomes too unwieldy to produce and for other people to read.

I use a free software package to record what I find, and have told people if they want to have the file, they are welcome to it. They can download the software for themselves to allow them to look through it.

At the moment I am writing a set of reports. Each one will include a graphic. The graphics will differ a bit, according to what I am dealing with, but will typically be a section of that larger diagrammatic representation that I am not going to bother drawing -- perhaps representing a couple, their parents, and their children. As it evolves, I might add in cross-references to indicate that if you want to know more about child Thomas, his story is told in the report about Thomas and Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I've found that I usually end up with a few different trees - as well as the documentation with the certs, photos, maps etc. On the main tree I just show primary ancestors (no siblings) with very basic details such as year of birth and death plus year of marriage.

I also do subtrees for families I have good details on - which include more detail, such as siblings and their marriages etc

For my own use I also keep a full tree (multiple pages stuck together) with all the ancestors and all siblings etc - but just the basic details to save space. I use this as a quick reference on paper, and it gets scribbled on as I locate various details..

I think visual representation is the best way to see the relationships..

Shane

• Advertisement

I thought about this again last night and I believe the only coherent way to present a branch or branches is to have a summary. These summary pages would be broken down in generations, say, one generation per page and only include name, dob & dod and spouse, possibly children (depending if that generation fits into one single page); and so on for the next generations. I think it would be important to have a generation on a single page, parents at top and 5, 6, 7, etc children underneath. Then bulk up the branch / people later on in the document.

Maybe (definitely) index names or have a contents page (so that the reader can fast forward to a beefed up section regarding that particular person).

That way people can reference the 'clean' summary pages and will be more at ease reading through it all. Knowing that they can always flick back to the summary page when they get lost.

Another issue is that there are many people for whom only half your family tree will be interesting. My cousins on my mother's side won't be greatly interested in my father's ancestry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh I only give the common ancestry for the relevant branch. If it was my mother's side, my Dad just gets mentioned as her husband, and vice versa.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's a reason why I am not thinking of compiling a single master document.

As one of my grandparents married twice, I have first cousins whose interest is focused on only one-quarter of my ancestry; they have a lower level of interest in another quarter.

Another issue is that there are many people for whom only half your family tree will be interesting. My cousins on my mother's side won't be greatly interested in my father's ancestry.

Luckily for me my fathers side has been fully researched by my aunt!

I would only be showing relevant branches to relatives and only mentioning spouses name of my mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

This is a ongoing issue with me. I have done a few narratives written from the point of view of great grandparents so different ones for different lines. But I must admit they are probably unwieldy despite much tweaking. But they do allow for developing some more interesting episodes and adding in pictures, maps, bit of historical perspective etc.

Some people are good at map reading and others not ... so reading a familytree is probably a similar skill. So much more detail is accumulated that does not lend itself to be put on the tree yet fills out and clothes the story hence the narrative approach.

The problem is that these ancestors become so familiar to us but the level of detail is overwhelming to a half interested family member. I think I am reconciled to researching primarily for my own pleasure rather than attempting to share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Colleen317

The problem is a family tree is more like a forest, filled with mighty oaks and scraggly shrubs. Getting lots of clear information on one piece of paper is very challenging. Perhaps this is where a website or blog is useful. Your relatives can click on the tree where they have connections to learn more or share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

wikitree.com lets you upload anecdotes and photos as well as the relationships. it is easy to use also.

Advertisement