Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a GPS

Options
  • 25-04-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Anybody else favour a GPS in conjunction with an OS map? You can spot Vistas on the map, enter the data into your GPS and walk that way. Pretty handy too if you come across a great spot but the conditions aren't great...you can just pinpoint your location and come back some other day.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Can you recommend a half decent GPS that wont break the bank?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Garmin eTrex are one of the most basic models out there. Won't do any mapping or autorouting as you'd find in the car type models, but will give you map grid references and let you load/ save waypoints and then get it to point you in the right direction to relocate that perfect view point from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I use a basic Magellan explorist. As was mentioned, the basic handheld units don't operate in exactly the same way as the in-car units. It's great for walkers/hikers and in this case, landscape photographers! If you use it in conjunction with an OS map, you're sorted. You can input a six figure grid reference and follow the on screen arrow. Set it to back-track your route and you can find your way home easily. Basic map skills are required, but if you need an overview, I'd be happy to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭quickg

robinph wrote: »
    The Garmin eTrex are one of the most basic models out there. Won't do any mapping or autorouting as you'd find in the car type models, but will give you map grid references and let you load/ save waypoints and then get it to point you in the right direction to relocate that perfect view point from before.

Garmin etrex is the best all rounder. You can get accessories to clip on to a push bike handlebars for speed and positioning. The best bit though is I use it with an adaptor on my D300 which stores longtitude and latitude coordinates of the shot embedded in the exif data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Depends on your phone but you can get a GPS receiver that connects to your phone via blutooth for around €50 depending on the phone you have it might be possibly to get mapping on it nokia do a couple. I can get very simple gps tracks on my basic phone doing this you can output as a .KML file and view it in google earth afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

quickg wrote: »
    The best bit though is I use it with an adaptor on my D300 which stores longtitude and latitude coordinates of the shot embedded in the exif data.

Perfect. Now is there such a thing for Canon, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

sheesh wrote: »
    Depends on your phone but you can get a GPS receiver that connects to your phone via blutooth for around €50 depending on the phone you have it might be possibly to get mapping on it nokia do a couple. I can get very simple gps tracks on my basic phone doing this you can output as a .KML file and view it in google earth afterwards.

I use a gps unit that I bought from ebay (looks like a rebadged version of this) with a nokia N800 and maemo mapper. While it is quite true that it would'nt be any match for dedicated hillwalking units it is a usefull combination and much more usefull in other situations, plus its a gadget lovers dream.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

quickg wrote: »
    Garmin etrex is the best all rounder. You can get accessories to clip on to a push bike handlebars for speed and positioning. The best bit though is I use it with an adaptor on my D300 which stores longtitude and latitude coordinates of the shot embedded in the exif data.

does that do it as its taking the shot?

I'm interested as I am just after completing a Java project that writes gps data to an image file..... Have i left it too late to flog youlot a software application that geotags images???? damn:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭quickg

sheesh wrote: »
    does that do it as its taking the shot?

I'm interested as I am just after completing a Java project that writes gps data to an image file..... Have i left it too late to flog youlot a software application that geotags images???? damn:(

Think you might be a wee bit late. On the D300, the GPS unit is connected to the camera via an adaptor. When the shot is taken, the altitude, bearing, longtitde and latitude are all recorded in the exif data. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement