Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese recipes

Options
  • 15-11-2003 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey all;

Just wanted to see if anyone has any cooking ideas as I'd love to hear what different regions in China do with regards to food etc. I've heard that many places in the northern regions rely on a stable diet of man tow (steamed buns) as opposed to rice for most of the southern region.

Anyways, here's my recipe on veggie fried rice that I like :) if anyone has any old recipes to share that will be cool

I've worked in a take away for years so I don't measure things by grams or pounds.. I play it by ears.. I use ladles or massive metal spoons mostly for cooking with a thin wok and gas (electric is just too slow).

1 persons amount of boiled rice (just made + 10 minutes to let it steam for a bit longer - some people each more, some less, this is a one person recipe).

1/4 bag of frozen findus vegetables, alternatively:
    1/4 of the smallest tins of sweetcorn (drained)
    10 sugar snap peas
    10 long (french?) beans
    1/4 of red/yellow pepper sliced very very thinly
    1/4 of tin of bamboo shoots & water chestnuts (I think sharwoods/blue dragon does this in supermarkets)

1. Heat the wok on full heat, if your hand is warm 4 inches above the wok, add in 2 teaspoons of your choice of oil (I tend towards extra virgin olive oil).
    2. Add the veggies and brown them - taking care not to burn by turning over frequently, for frozen veggies take care to make sure they're cooked on the inside too.
    Add a pinch of salt. It takes about 5 minutes, 7 if frozen.
    3. Add the rice and stir. Add another pinch of salt and for variety I like to add either pilau rice flavouring (schwartz) or sprinkle liberally with curry powder (sharwoods). keep stirring - if you've got the wok, try flipping the rice over to keep the heat consistent and make sure it doesn't stick to the wok by stirring - if the rice is sticky it'll stick. After 5 minutes add in about 2 tablespoons of Soya sauce (i like to add it one of light soy and one of dark soy for flavouring). Stir for another 5 minutes and you should see the rice going slightly brown around the edges.
    4. Ready to serve :)

Tip: If you've got the big metal ladle like I do, beat the rice in the wok to keep it heated in a consistent manner - it'll take less time to brown, it's ready when you say so depending on whether you like slightly browned or slightly crispy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Seems complicated for something so simple, I don't have access to woks but when I do I'll try it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

it's truly not complicated, i describe it in detail because it's easy to get it wrong - if you want to vary the recipe - add chicken + a little salt and brown it before adding the veggies.

Advertisement