Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query re. Parish Records

• 06-07-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

How long have parish records been freely available on microfilm in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I couldn't give you an exact date but at least 50 years I would think.
    The Mormons did the microfilming in the 1950s and they retained copies of the registers (plus the censuses).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Well if that's the case then I'd say the next decades i.e. early 1900's are well over due! That means we should have records up to the 1950's on microfilm !

Ah.

It was a one-off thing.
    I doubt very much you'd see more recent parish records ever being given over to the National Library.
    Almost everyone post 1900 will have a birth cert (of course I realise there are exceptions).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

They've been microfilming in the National Archives (at least) since then. Some records in the 2000s. Would love if they would do the rest of the Civil Registration registers, even up until 1920.

Oh I know they continue to use microfilm - I just mean I doubt that there'll be any more parish records. The civil registers are not held by the National Archives. As far as I know, the microfilm of the indexes were done by the Mormons and go up to 1958.

The NLI was tendering to get the existing microfilm digitised - with a view to putting them up untranscribed as pdfs on the website. I cannot wait for this! 24/7 access and a computer's ability to blow up images. No more eyestrain from the old microfilm readers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The NLI was tendering to get the existing microfilm digitised - with a view to putting them up untranscribed as pdfs on the website. I cannot wait for this! 24/7 access and a computer's ability to blow up images. No more eyestrain from the old microfilm readers.

Yes, I have hear about this. Does anyone know how it is going?

When I queried the NLI they said they would be digitised within the next two years i.e. end of 2013.

The last time I asked, they knew nothing about it!

How could that take 2 years?!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sent: 11 January 2011 11:16
    To: Info
    Subject: Digitising Parish Records

Hello,

I understand from Tipperary Libraries that the National Library is now looking at digitising the parish records and allowing remote access to those with readers’ tickets. I am wondering if this is true and at what stage this process is at?

Thanks,

Subject: RE: Digitising Parish Records
    Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:19:24 +0000
    To: ....................

Dear Mr. ..........,

Thank you for your email. This initiative was recently announced just before Christmas and when the project is completed (which I’d imagine will be 2 years minimum at the very least) it will be announced in both the national and internal media.

Kind regards,
    Mary Broderick.
    Duty Librarian

Sent: 11 January 2011 11:26
    To: Info

Thank you for your email.

Will it be free to access the digitised records?

Regards,

Sent: 11 January 2011 11:35
    To: ................

Dear Mr. .........,

Please be advised that as this initiative was recently announced none of this information is available as yet.

Kind regards,
    Mary Broderick.
    Duty Librarian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The initial project was a contract just to digitize the existing RC films - there was no mention at this stage of making them available online

I think the initial plan was to make them available as images on computers on-site

Shane

Below is an email to received today.

Dear Mr .......

Thank you for your email to info@nli.ie regarding the digitisation of catholic parish registers. The National Library issued a Request for Tenders for this work last year and we are now in the final processes of evaluating and awarding the contract.

With best wishes

Sandra McDermott
    National Library of Ireland

• Advertisement

Wow - the phrase "snail's pace" is not slow enough.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement