Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sega Megadrive 1, 2, cd, that 32 thingy, Saturn and Dreamcast

• 24-05-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭

Ive never owned a Sega and only played a few of its games on friends consoles when younger namely Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Goldenaxe, Sonic and Altered Beast.

Just been looking at the consoles and compared to Nintendo there's a lot of them.

Whats up with the Megadrives and Genesis (spelling?)? Are the all near enough the same?

Is the Saturn a good console?

Do I need a Sega CD?

And what is this 32 ex thing? Is that even a thing?

Basically which ones are worth getting and which has the best games?

Also what do I need for a Dreamcast? Also what the prices of them?

Thanks if you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Whats up with the Megadrives and Genesis (spelling?)? Are the all near enough the same?

Exact same console. The name 'Megadrive' was already copywrited in the US so they needed a different name for that region.

Yep, but to truely appreciate it you'll need to import Japanese games as a hell of a lot of them weren't released here. Either that or they have a very low number and are expensive.
    Do I need a Sega CD?

Not nearly as much as you need a Megadrive and a Saturn!

It's an add on for the Megadrive which plugs into the top and has it's own games. Was Segas biggest failure..there's only about 30 or so games for the system.

Thanks if you can help.

Buy a Megadrive, Saturn and a Dreamcast. They're by far the best three systems. The Mega CD and the 32X are just for die hard Sega collectors really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Genesis is the american name for the Megadrive. It was the Megadrive in japan as well.

Yes it's a fantastic system. However be prepared to fork out. There's only a few games that made it to the west that were actually any good. Japan on the other hand has a slew of amazing releases for the system. You'll need a way to play these games which means a console and an action replay 4 in 1 cart. Also if you get a PAL console a 50/60 Hz switch is essential (same with the megadrive). That will cost money. Next, some of the best saturn games are very expensive so either fork out lots of money or fork out for a system that has been chipped.
    Do I need a Sega CD?

There's some excellent Sega CD games but if you don't want the expense then you might be better off emulating. Games like Snatcher, Lunar 1 and 2, Keio Flying Squadron and Robo Aleste as well as a few more mean there's a good few excellent titles on the system.

The 32X eh... might not be worth it. Outside of some good arcade conversions and a version of Doom that's terrible but has the bonus of music with drum samples that sound like someone is farting on you it's not worth the bother. The ports are available on the saturn or through emulation anyway,

Too many amazing games to recommend sorry!

Do you really need to ask that? Short answer:

Of course you ****ing need one! It's a brilliant system! Cheap as chips as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

In this order you need.

Dreamcast
    Megadrive
    Saturn

You do not need.

Sega CD
    32x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

are the street fighter and xmen games are to get as pal versions?

ive no jap imports, are they much different to pal games?

Or is it just language?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't bother with Street Fighter 2 on the megadrive. There's far better arcade perfect versions.

If you are playing PAL games on a PAL console expect to endure horrible borders and slowed down games. It's why I recommended a 50/60hz switch mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

by the way im an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Oh, the Dreamcast. Give it an hour, you'll consider it closer than family. Such a rich system, with an even richer catalogue of titles to choose from. Can do no wrong investing in one now, while they're still on the right side of fifty as prices are starting to swing upwards already.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you are playing PAL games on a PAL console expect to endure horrible borders and slowed down games. It's why I recommended a 50/60hz switch mod.

Have you ever considered counting how many times a month you write this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

lmao no mention of radiant/pds yet :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The Dreamcast is my favourite console ever, just beats out the SNES. It's pretty much your personal arcade if you pick up a lightgun and arcade stick. Add classics like Grandia II, Shenmue 1 and 2 and Skies of Arcadia and it (to steal sony's gimmick) only does everything :pac:

You'll probably get one for around €30 if you're patient.

Mega Drive is well worth getting, and most of the classics are fairly easy to find and cheap enough.

Saturn is a great system, but far more pricey than the others to build a decent collection of games for.

The others I'd pass on to be honest, and unless you really really want to spend the cash leave the Saturn, I fully intended to build a decent library of games for mine and ended up just selling it.

Buy a dreamcast, basically. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ive never owned a Sega and only played a few of its games on friends consoles when younger namely Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Goldenaxe, Sonic and Altered Beast.
    You sick, sick man, you're barred from this forum, aside from Sonic playing nothing but terrible MD games, deary, deary me..
    Ok, I'll give you one more chance, but I'll be watching!
    Just been looking at the consoles and compared to Nintendo there's a lot of them.
    Yes, yes there is, well observed young Padawan.
    The Megadrive is normally the PAL one, and if you find it in a charity shop or car boot sale buy it but don't tell anyone here, as they are touchy about PAL anything!
    The Genesis is the US Ntsc model and revered here in the same way WWE fans love The Rock.
    If you asked in the Playstation forum they'd kill you where you stand, if you asked in the Sega forum they'd kill you for even asking! But yes, if you don't mind ropey 3D rendering but superlative sprite handling, it's a great machine!
    Do I need a Sega CD?
    In a word, No.
    In two words, Nopedy No.
    Megadrive, Saturn and the DC, there are peeps here addicted to lists and will gladly satisfy their OCD by reeling a couple out with all their favourite games, starting with ones in Japanese about dating or shooting enemies through a hell of bullets before it goes on to the dating.
    You need three things,
    1- A Dreamcast, very important this.
    2- A TV, see point 1
    3- A game or two.

And that's it! Oh, two working hands with thumbs is pretty important too, unless you have Seaman!
    Thanks if you can help.
    You're welcome, any time!

;)

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Just spreading the good word about 60Hz and stamping out the menace of PAL games and composite cables.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

<cough> mastersystem <cough>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

<cough> mastersystem <cough>

Oh yeah, dont forget to get one of these, I actually prefer the mastersystem and DC to the Megadrive... some lovely Sonic games on it as well as Alex Kidd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

paperwork wrote: »
    Oh yeah, dont forget to get one of these, I actually prefer the mastersystem and DC to the Megadrive... some lovely Sonic games on it as well as Alex Kidd.

Don't worry about your coat, we'll send it on to you later, on fire!

Oh the sonic games on it are really trippy and weird when compared to the more mainstream sonic games, I mean one of them started in a desert... not a grassy wonderland, A DESERT!

Also you have Zillion, Alex Kidd, a deadly version of Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone was so colourful compared to other games around the same time and then there was My Hero, a terrible game, but I have Rain Man like skills on it.

Saturn pal cases,most are tacky condition now,

Sega rally case-
    Saturn_SEGARally_eu.jpg

Japan edition jewel case

%21B-Dlv,w%212k%7E$%28KGrHqYOKioEzWlY7myDBM7l4tmDjg%7E%7E0_35.JPG

Oh yeah, dont forget to get one of these, I actually prefer the mastersystem and DC to the Megadrive

Some people think Goldeneye is still relevant but this here is a new level of wrong.

Some people think Goldeneye is still relevant but this here is a new level of wrong.

Hey, Goldeneye still has something to say!

Master of the Universe

Indeed it does.

'I'm old and tired, please let me die in peace!'

NO NO NO!
    We are not revisiting people on the fail submarine sinking into the depths of the wrong wrong sea by trying to slag off Goldeneye.
    I'm trying to be impartial here! ;)

• Advertisement

Goldeneye: (looking like cranky kong from Donkey Kong Country) I'm old archaic and have been left behind. Damn you crazy kids and you're halos and call of duties and battlefields. I can barely muster 10 FPS anymore what with these creaky N64 chipsets.

Well what i was just saying is that Mastersystem games have a really distinctive colourful, but primitive look... and i love that look, the SMS was my first non Atari console.

and regarding Goldeneye, say what you will about the single player (as I haven't played it in Donkeys years), but the multiplayer still holds up!

Aye. Get 4 drunk mates together and play any old ****e and it's still fun. I terms of being able to stand up with the best multiplayer shooters I feel goldeneye falls far short. In terms of being a right old laugh with the right people it still holds up. And at least it gives you 4 player split screen unlike most FPS games these days. I'd rather play something ropey like Goldeneye with 4 mates in the same room than online with strangers or even people I know.

I actually really like the master system sonics. Really good, actually kind of challenging and a different feel to the megadrive ones. The handglider in Sonic 2 can **** right off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Transbot was my favorite Master System game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Master System was my first console. Had both the original and the master system II. Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in. Had the card slots for games, although I never actually had one for it. Had a rake of cartridges though - all the classics, Sonic 1 & 2, Enduro Racer, Vigilante, Columns, Cool Spot, Alex Kidd, After Burner, Alien Storm, Castle of Illusion, Chuck Rock, Paperboy, California games, Double Dragon, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, James Pond, Marble madness, Mortal Kombat... er.. Outrun.. Had ****ing loads of games. Can't remember them all now. Wish I still had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Transbot was my favorite Master System game.

Transbot, Its the only game i have for the master system, the card edition.

But if you want sega stuff you need to get it all, Mega CD, 32X, a complete model 1 MD with all attachments still looks great under any tv now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Angry Nintendo Nerd did alot of reviews on the Sega consoles. They are very good.

32x

Sega CD

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Goldeneye: (looking like cranky kong from Donkey Kong Country) I'm old archaic and have been left behind. Damn you crazy kids and you're halos and call of duties and battlefields. I can barely muster 10 FPS anymore what with these creaky N64 chipsets.

There's no denying it was a benchmark, but ya a lot of fans seriously can't let go.. it's dated to HELL and anyone who says otherwise is seriously blinded by nostalgia.

*firmly ties nostalgia blindfold around eyes*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

you could easily be offended round here if you're not used to it I guess, everyone has an opinion and a favourite. Master System rules Sega for me too considering how much they managed to push the machine

Master of the Universe

batari wrote: »
    you could easily be offended round here if you're not used to it I guess, everyone has an opinion and a favourite. Master System rules Sega for me too considering how much they managed to push the machine

No no, it's pronounced 'M-E-G-A D-R-I-V-E', not Master System.

Don't worry, you'll get it eventually ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alex Kidd in Miracle World is better than SMB 1 (and 2 - but that goes without saying). :p

Adyx wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Alex Kidd in Miracle World is better than SMB 1 (and 2 - but that goes without saying). :p

Oh, no i wouldn't go that far! It certainly looks better than SMB1, but Mario has a more refined design and is a much greater challenge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have you been sniffing paint thinner or something! I'm calling shenanigans right now... :pac:

oh and no more about bloody Golden Eye! :P

Oh, no i wouldn't go that far! It certainly looks better than SMB1, but Mario has a more refined design and is a much greater challenge.

I think you two should start your own forum, call it something appropriate like "Deluded Gamers Forum", you know, snappy yet descriptive, accurate but succinct.

I mean, whatever about debating Goldeneyes relevance or Treasures almost constant genius, or Demon's Souls pure dislike of casual gamers, but please, don't dis Super Mario Bros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

No mention of the "GameGear" was it?? :rolleyes:

Wasnt there some sorta combined Megadrive/CD system made. Never got one but remember wanted to get it one xmas, but dad couldnt manage to get it over here. Maybe as well didnt :rolleyes:
    Edit : Multi Mega
    800px-Sega_Multi_Mega.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ok I'm a long time gamer and have owned a nes,snes,n64,gamecube,wii, all the game boys,spectrum,ps1,ps2,ps3,xbox,xbox 360,psp,psp go and my personal favourite the Dreamcast. I have never owned but played the atari 2600 and the mega drive. So what you ask? Well it just dawned on me that I have never even seen a sega master system. I was a big Nintendo fan back in the early 90s and sega was the enemy so this is the reason I ignored the ms which I now regret.

I've got one, its a MultiMega/CDX, a combined Megadrive and MegaCD and looks very nice.
    It could also be used as a rudimentary discman (if you are not sure what a discman is, feck off!)

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've got one, its a MultiMega/CDX, a combined Megadrive and MegaCD and looks very nice.
    It could also be used as a rudimentary discman (if you are not sure what a discman is, feck off!)

Heh, imagine Commodore did something similar with a Walkman/tape deck.

Why did we never get games on vinyl?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »

RCA Selectavision is about as close as you'll get to that pipe dream.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

I actually hope to hunt one down some day, you can get Back To The Future on CED!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I actually hope to hunt one down some day, you can get Back To The Future on CED!

Wow! Never heard of that before!

edit - seems they're not that expensive either. Would go nicely beside my reel to reel tape deck! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What the jenkins is that!

o1s1n wrote: »

Very small amount where released on speccy along with flexi disc-

http://www.kempa.com/2004/03/09/vinyl-data/

Loading from flexi disc-

Late 80s codemasters released cd games pack for spec/c64-

The ULTIMATE COMBO was pioneer laseractive,which played MD/MCD/Laserdisc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Exact same machines. They just decided to name it the Genesis the U.S.---probably to appeal to Republican voters and Phil Collins fans.:pac:

Most of it's best games were released in Japan only so you'd have to sort out the region coding crap. There's some great 2-D shooters and the Saturns coversions of 2-D fighters were always far better than the over rated PS1. The games that did make it to these shores are pretty good anyway. There's some great Sega arcade games: Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua cop, Daytona etc.

Do I need a Sega CD?

Only "must have" game for it is Sonic CD, which some people consider the best Sonic game ever made. Most of the games are crap.

Like the Mega CD it was designed to boost the power of the Megadrive which was showing it's age compared to the Snes which was throwing out beautiful games like Donkey Kong country, Killer Instinct, Star wing and Stunt race FX. It was a massive commercial failure. I had one and it's a shame as there's some decent conversions of Virtua racing, Knuckles chaotix, Mortal Kombat 2 and Doom. The 32X version of Virtua Fighter was ironically far superior to the Saturn version. You should be able to pick it up dirt cheap. Make sure you get all the cables though.

All of them apart from the Mega CD. If you can find the 32X and a few good games dirt cheap then it might be worth a go.

About fifty Euro for a console I'm guessing.

I'd say the Mega CD is far better than the 32X. Plenty of great games on it that are unique to the system unlike the 32X. And none of them are Sonic CD which I think is vastly overrated and not all that good.

Berns wrote: »
    No mention of the "GameGear" was it?? :rolleyes:

Wasnt there some sorta combined Megadrive/CD system made. Never got one but remember wanted to get it one xmas, but dad couldnt manage to get it over here. Maybe as well didnt :rolleyes:
    Edit : Multi Mega
    800px-Sega_Multi_Mega.jpg
    was talking to the fella in RAGE yesterday , and he showed me one of them they got in ..they havent priced it yet (as far as yesterday anyway)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you two should start your own forum, call it something appropriate like "Deluded Gamers Forum", you know, snappy yet descriptive, accurate but succinct.

I mean, whatever about debating Goldeneyes relevance or Treasures almost constant genius, or Demon's Souls pure dislike of casual gamers, but please, don't dis Super Mario Bros.
    I'd like to sign up for that forum then,as other than smb1 , I've never really been a fan of the hirsute Italian plumbers games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

was talking to the fella in RAGE yesterday , and he showed me one of them they got in ..they havent priced it yet (as far as yesterday anyway)

They wanted 200 quid for it last Saturday. No doubt they've been told it's not worth that much and are deliberating on a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

Personaly The megadrive is my fave console, still, the satern is underated but is good and the dreamcast is also really good. You only need those three really. I do recomend megadrive, satern and dreamcast, there really good consoles.

OniKen wrote: »
    Personaly The megadrive is my fave console, still, the satern is underated but is good and the dreamcast is also really good. You only need those three really. I do recomend megadrive, satern and dreamcast, there really good consoles.

I prefer the Snus and the Pleystation myself!

Sorry for the above attempt at humour, but that should probably be "Saturn" as in big planet with the pretty rings or father of the Roman god Jupiter. ;)

Couldn't help it, you said it twice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement