Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro and gaming collectibles that aren't games and consoles!

• 24-05-2011 11:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by our discussion on the awesomeness of Cave mugs...

Anyone have any impressive gaming memorabilia that aren't games or consoles? Posters, soundtracks, Edge Issue 0, a cuddly toy, VHS tapes of speed runs, Cave mugs etc?

*insert standard pics or GTFO comment here*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have a few little interesting bits, few figures and stuff.

Pics tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Other than plushies, tshirts and the like, the only thing I can think of right now is this. Lovely yolk so it is!

DSC_0334.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've got the two Bioware doctors business cards after interviewing them (well sitting in on an interview with them).

I've a Yoshi figurine. A Jack Frost Plushie from devil summoner 2. A wallet that looks like a nes joypad. I've a load of konami stuff I've misplaced. Can't think of the rest.

Oh and a minecraft creeper plushie. It's awesome, only 1 was ever made.

Master of the Universe

Oh and I've got all my hama bead art..which I've posted a million times already :D haven't made any of them since. In fact they're all packed away now in the attic apart from my framed Chrono Trigger ones.

/Edit - how could I forget! My Chrono Cross (I like to pretend it's Trigger) desk clock.

Which reminds me, I have absolutely no idea where that went when I moved everything. Bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

SonicKnucklesSign.jpg

Oh Yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have soundtracks to gta3, VC and SA, also the duffel bag pack that came with gta4.
    I've got the fallout 3 tin box with art book, soundtrack sampler and pip boy bobble head.
    Music disks too released with killer instinct and donkey Kong country.
    I have an almost complete set of mini standees commemorating 25years of Mario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Am sure I've loads in lock-up in the UK, just a matter of going over to get it.

Probably find all my old Super Play, C&VG, Commodore Format etc mags. Aul wan donated my C64 and all my games to Oxfam when I moved out years ago unfortunately.

I think I've probably more anime collectibles than gaming. Cels, promo VHS/DVD, Roman albums, tapestries etc.

One day I'll go back and collect it all. Right now all I have is an unopened Bioshock 2 (with the posters and vinyl record etc) that I'll probably leave unopened.

That said, I'm more concentrating on buying old consoles and only SHMUPS now. Eventually I'd like a cab and at least one Cave PCB.

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Am sure I've loads in lock-up in the UK, just a matter of going over to get it.

Probably find all my old Super Play, C&VG, Commodore Format etc mags. Aul wan donated my C64 and all my games to Oxfam when I moved out years ago unfortunately.

I think I've probably more anime collectibles than gaming. Cels, promo VHS/DVD, Roman albums, tapestries etc.

One day I'll go back and collect it all. Right now all I have is an unopened Bioshock 2 (with the posters and vinyl record etc) that I'll probably leave unopened.

That said, I'm more concentrating on buying old consoles and only SHMUPS now. Eventually I'd like a cab and at least one Cave PCB.

Don't get me started on Anime cels! As many people in the collecting community say, they're more addictive and expensive than crack. More trouble than they're worth. I have about 100 pieces including douga/genga and storing them safey is a massive pain in the hole. At this point if I ever get good offers from people I sell them.

Some Cave PCBs aren't crazy expensive. I almost had my hands on a Phoenixed Progear a while ago for €100. Just someone else got there before me.

I've got a Metal Gear Solid collector's edition from the late 90s, with everything as originally included: game, soundtrack, poster, art cards, dog-tags and t-shirt.

Funny story I only wore the t-shirt once, when I worked in a retail outlet, and that was the day Metal Gear 4 was released. I didn't have a PS3 at the time, still don't, so initially I was pissed at not being able to play it but from what I've read over the years I had a lucky escape.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have an almost complete set of mini standees commemorating 25years of Mario.

Remember seeing them at one of your retro meets, they were very cool indeed!

I have a couple of old SF2 Turbo & Super SF2 guide books (around '95/'96 I think) that I'm fond of. They showed all the combos for each character which was pretty cool. Think I posted pics of them before but they're up in the attic now. Or what about the original Blitz Basic for the Amiga? Still have that box knocking about somewhere.
    I remember I used to write to games companies (Ocean etc) back in the C64 days scabbing for freebies, got some cool posters and t-shirts, long since gone now though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I've got a Metal Gear Solid collector's edition from the late 90s, with everything as originally included: game, soundtrack, poster, art cards, dog-tags and t-shirt.

Funny story I only wore the t-shirt once, when I worked in a retail outlet, and that was the day Metal Gear 4 was released. I didn't have a PS3 at the time, still don't, so initially I was pissed at not being able to play it but from what I've read over the years I had a lucky escape.

MGS 4 isnt as bad as everyone says, just think of it as an interactive film more than a game. Not a patch on MGS or Snake Eater but if you ever get a chance you should play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've a few soundtracks/samplers that were packaged with games, like Killer Instinct, Knights in the Nightmare, Radiant Historia, SMT: Strange Journey. Also have the japanese release of the Aria/Dawn of Sorrow soundtrack (were released together). In terms of other collectables, just have a couple of plushies from the mario universe (like everyone else), Cloud and Sephiroth figurines, and a fair amount of tshirts. Have the Sonic Adventure 2 10th anniversary edition (the one that was only sold for 2 days in Japan) for Dreamcast which has a gold coin and booklet on the history of Sonic too. I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious stuff but can't think of anything...planning on picking up some stuff in Tokyo next month anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Well I've got this Centipede watch:

foss.jpg

And made this lamp!

Games051.jpg
    I love lamp :pac:

Also have a small collection of Atari Lynx pins, but no pics handy.

MGS 4 isnt as bad as everyone says, just think of it as an interactive film more than a game. Not a patch on MGS or Snake Eater but if you ever get a chance you should play it.

I'm sure I'll get a PS3 eventually so if I see it cheap I'll pick it up in anticipation of that day. Besides I can't have Metal Gear Solid, MGS 2 & Snake Eater without 4, it would just look wrong :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If MGS 4 was a film I would have walked out of the cinema after a half hour in disgust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have a good few soundtracks lying around the place. As well as ones that came free with games (Persona 1+4, Espgaluda II, Tactics Ogre, Alan Wake, Death Smiles etc...) have full Japanese copies of We Love Katamari and a crazy three CD and one DVD version of the Chrono Trigger OST (released at the same time as the DS game).

Have my precious Mega Man and Ocelot Kubricks, proudly standing beside me Lotso Huggin' Bear and Rorschach ones.

Have a Dragon Quest slime plushie too.

Embarrassed by my copy of the infamously awful Final Fantasy 9 strategy guide :pac: Find out more on Play Online...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't you know that mentioning MGS4, Goldeneye, Halo or the CDi is now a crime to be called Retr0 Baiting or Incitement to Troll, as they generate a response in Retr0 that he has to say some very mean things about the games and the poster who mentioned them. We should be more sensitive to his plight and try not to upset him, especially when he's off his meds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't you know that mentioning MGS4, Goldeneye, Halo or the CDi is now a crime to be called Retr0 Baiting or Incitement to Troll, as they generate a response in Retr0 that he has to say some very mean things about the games and the poster who mentioned them. We should be more sensitive to his plight and try not to upset him, especially when he's off his meds!

There was an hour and a half between the first mention of MGS4 and retr0s inevitable putdown - that's pretty good going :pac:

*posts up 'best JRPG' thread to see how long it takes for Earthbound to get mentioned :P*

If I save one person from playing MGS4, Halo or Goldeneye it will be worth it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If I save one person from playing MGS4, Halo or Goldeneye it will be worth it.

It's like a certain Internet video about two women and a Cave mug - everyone tells you not to, but the more people are told not to watch it the more likely it is they will :pac:

• Advertisement

It's like a certain Internet video about two women and a Cave mug - everyone tells you not to, but the more people are told not to watch it the more likely it is they will :pac:

I sense a certain fixation on your part Johnny U, you doing ok.?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Other than plushies, tshirts and the like, the only thing I can think of right now is this. Lovely yolk so it is!

DSC_0334.jpg

Took me a few seconds to realise they're Baby Mario's feet and not him giving the finger, twice!! :)

I sense a certain fixation on your part Johnny U, you doing ok.?

I only watched it for the cinematography.

Master of the Universe

batari wrote: »
    Took me a few seconds to realise they're Baby Mario's feet and not him giving the finger, twice!! :)

Hahaha! Oh yeah!

I'll never be able to look at that without laughing now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

batari wrote: »

Also have a small collection of Atari Lynx pins, but no pics handy.

Were those the ones from Kellogg's cereals? There was a chance to win a Lynx too, if I remember correctly.

Adyx wrote: »
    Were those the ones from Kellogg's cereals? There was a chance to win a Lynx too, if I remember correctly.

They could have been, they're the ones from eBay for me :P

Advertisement