Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do community Gardai do ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mynamejeff wrote: »
    so you if dont trust them and believe they are being paid off by groups of ethnic criminals why did you got to them at all ?

just looking to vent at some one or are you like john connors and believe gardai are scum

For non serious issues, most guards won't do anything unless the person complaining has pull, beit within the force itself or with a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hey GarIT, I'm genuinely sorry to see that you are deleting your account as I'm sure you've had happy times here as well.
    I've deleted your posts where I quoted you, take it easy and don't get upset over strangers on the internet. We all have off days, hope you have a great 2019!

It's not your fault at all, or anyone in this discussion or any other one, boards is great in many ways but I make myself angry over discussions that 99% of the time don't actually have any benefit. I've been spending at least an hour a day on boards for at least 5 years so it's about time I focused on other things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    For non serious issues, most guards won't do anything unless the person complaining has pull, beit within the force itself or with a politician.

sure

except that is true in isolated case not all

https://www.dppireland.ie/publications/category/7/annual-reports/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/crime/crimebycounty/

if you want a target for your complaints look to the courts where judges are political appointees same as all senior gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

it's up to the people of the area to set the tone
    I should know, I am out of sync with my community.
    ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I've heard some truly horrendous stories from Tallaght from people there over the last few years.

Forget community police it's the military you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

As someone from an area with no foreign nationals so the antisocial behavior is 100% irish, I can tell you the community gardai are as equally useless with them. The main thing they seem to do is go from school to school standing in classrooms telling kids not to buy fireworks and set them off in people's gardens, not to build bonfires in the middle of housing estates around Halloween, not to ride motorbikes up and down their estate, my nephew said the community gardai came in before summer holidays last with letters to be given to their parents about motorbikes, he said him and maybe 2 others actually handed the letters to their parents, the rest were thrown away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Met a Community Garda for the first time just before Christmas. He greeted me as I was going into the local Meals on Wheels/Charity shop place. As if he knew me?

Then he joined us all for the Christmas Dinner.

Small quiet town and he was getting to know the old folk there. Emerged there was a local spate of break ins of old people's homes around that time last year so his presence was appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I think the Gardaí should be out on foot patrol, two by two in residential areas.

I think the Gardaí should be out on foot patrol, two by two in residential areas.

Too much like hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That would be "targeting" "poor" "disadvantaged" areas.

But yes, local police that knows the area and the people in it would help. I think this is what community Garda is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The Gardaí marching 2 by 2, hurrah, hurrah
    The Gardaí marching 2 by 2, hurrah, hurrah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What strategic benefit do you think it would provide?

It helps, gives the bad guys something to think about.

By retreating into their stations and only (eventually) coming when called out, the Gardai have sent the message that people are by and large left to fend for themselves.

I think they are over whelmed by paperwork
    El_Bee wrote: »
    By retreating into their stations and only (eventually) coming when called out, the Gardai have sent the message that people are by and large left to fend for themselves.

raher1 wrote: »
    I think they are over whelmed by paperwork

I'll do their paperwork, at minimum wage even, if it'll get them out onto the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

It's supposed to free up regular Gardaí from having to deal with minor non-crime issues.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up.

Now I'm thinking how about freeing up the community Gardaí spaces and having proper Gardaí out on the streets patrolling.

Can't be any "community" as it were if people are scared to exist within a community. Be it anti-social behaviours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It would be a deterrant to hoodlums and ruffians committing crimes in the vicinity. That said, the Bold Gendarmes ethic must be stomped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They waste they destroy they cling like savages to their superstitions

I went to the local Garda. My evidence wasn't up to it. They will try and help out. Some people are very clever when spreading gossip. If your starting down this road you better know your facts not hear say.

Do Gardai go to the house of individual and give them a warning as a curtosity before charges are brought forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We've a community Garda called Boola on our road.

He dances with the kids on the street. It's very good, he makes them engage in dance.

If it wasn't for Boola they'd all be thieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its great that the criminals go straight to prison themselves

would it best to try and talk to the people, do a quick question and answer session.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The ones in my area just lick stamps to put on envelopes. They used to lick the envelopes but then one of the young lads got a paper cut on his lip so they had to stop that. Sometimes they'll do an early dawn shop raid to make sure the lads are selling real butter and not fake counterfeit.

Advertisement