Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Only noticed recently that the A in the Samsung logo is actually more like an upside down V. Blew my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Tea light candles are called that because they are meant to be used to keep a pot of tea warm!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Look again!!
    Kiwi coming from the right of the circle

I cant believe id missed it.

Ah yeah, I did see the kiwis too. But the arms were what jumped out at me. Clever logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

The meaning of the name of the band "scissor sisters". Loved their music, bought their albums back in the day. How many times did I see their logo?! And today listening to one of their songs on the radio it just dawned on me. Total face palm moment, jaw dropped a little at how I didn't cop it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've always assumed Afric O'Connell was a guy as I never listen to Radio 2. I only found out different this evening when she turned up on Drivetime to talk about The Spice Girls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

499984.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Don't know if its classes as obvious, but only found out this morning from listening to the radio that the band The Happy Monday's hit song "Step On" is a cover version/re-working of a song from the 70's.

Never ever heard that mentioned before anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,140 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That Pat Mustard was Georgie Burgess!

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

everlast75 wrote: »
    That Pat Mustard was Georgie Burgess!

hqdefault.jpg
    Georgie gets the girl but Pat has to yank himself off around the clock because he's not getting any proper s*x with girls. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

aka means 'also known as'. I'm such a doofus.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    aka means 'also known as'. I'm such a doofus.

aka aka also know as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That the word bed looks like a bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

The less petrol you have in the car, the faster the car goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The word alphabet, is just from the first 2 letters of the Greek alphabet... (alpha and beta)

D'oh

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

"Wains" or "Weans", meaning kids, is just a contraction of "Wee ones" or "wee 'uns", as said in a Scottish or Norn Iron accent.

Never clicked until recently.

• Advertisement

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Tea light candles are called that because they are meant to be used to keep a pot of tea warm!!

Pen knives got their name because they were used to sharpen quills to use as writing implements.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    That the word bed looks like a bed
    wait until you find out about Boob
    B - top view
    oo - front view
    b - side view

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That most of the actors in Ghosts are the cast of Horrible Histories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Arkansas and Arkinsaw are not two different states.

I used to see Arkansas written down and assumed it was pronounced as it reads. You'd often hear 'Arkinsaw' mentioned on TV or radio, and I assumed it was a whole separate state.

It's not.

I'm not actually that stupid normally.

Not you're fault that Americans can't spell. Or read.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

1. There are no such thing as right or wrong, only interests

2. there is no free choice in the world. your decisions are based on brain cells that make decisions based on previous encounters. these chemicals and brain cells control you. If an outside observer had a program they could predict everything that will happen from the Big Bang. including your whole life.

Put 1 and 2 together, means you shouldn't feel morally bad about anything bad you ever did. If you get sent to prison its only to act as a deterrent to others and to keep you out of publics way.

• Advertisement

on a lighter note. watching BBC they talked about Oxbridge authorities talking about some new third level news story. never knew where Oxbridge college was.

Oxbridge = Oxford and Cambridge. where all the unis are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

on a lighter note. watching BBC they talked about Oxbridge authorities talking about some new third level news story. never knew where Oxbridge college was.

Oxbridge = Oxford and Cambridge. where all the unis are

Not all, just the two major ones. There are unis in other towns :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

FunLover18 wrote: »

Yep. Like Camford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yep. Like Camford.

and Hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Peatys wrote: »
    Wait till you cop on to Flo Rida.

My kids thought I was joking when I mentioned Be Y Once. How we laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Up until my thirties I thought "misled" was pronounced "my-zeld" and "trilogy" was "tri-ology". My dad had an "acronym" for people like me.....THICK.

FunLover18 wrote: »

well i didnt mean it literaly where all the unis are. i meant were alot of the unis are. did you think i thought there were no unis in any other part of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TrangiaCoffee

Football is coming home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

t rex couldn't run but had a walking stride of ten meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

t rex couldn't run but had a walking stride of ten meters

Recent thinking is that T Rex could run fairly fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've just watched Nadine Coyle on Living With Lucy.
    I honestly had no idea she was one of Girls Aloud although as soon as I heard her name I distinctly rememberd the exact moment when she got kicked off the talent show and the white haired girl who worked in the Hole In The Wall in Galway took her place.
    That's age for ya!

My dog probable didn't go to live on a farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That the new population of scumbag coming up will need myself and 4 of my fellow taxpayers to fund each scummer lifestyle in every cent of our income tax each year until they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Diversity doesn't mean more women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Munstergirl854

When I was younger, I used to think Al Jazeera was the news outlet for terrorist propaganda (The Taliban/Al Qaeda).

Cue news reports from Bin Laden in a cave.

I was talking to my elderly neighbour one day and when she told me it was the only news channel she now watches and the best, I walked away scratching my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That a dog would eat fish, I was absolutely convinced that only cats eat fish, until I saw a friend giving some fish to the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If you cook scrambled egg on non-stock frying pan, it doesn't stick.
    Mind blown!
    Why the hell was I shown how to make scrambled eggs in a stainless steel pot?? I've always assumed there was a reason it needed to be on a pot, so have done it this way for the past 20(?) yrs. I've always meant to try/buy a non stick pot for this but never got round to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

After having watched Game of Thrones and being a fan of Lily Allen. I have only just found out that Alfie Allen who played Theon Greyjoy is Lily’s little brother and the subject of her song ‘Alfie’.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There is a TV show called My Left Nut that has been going for ages. I only just twigged it is a play on words for My Left Foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

That The Happy Pear is a pun on The Happy Pair (of twins).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

My dog probable didn't go to live on a farm

That is TRUE, he is there with my dog, Rashers. They chase rabbits all day and when they are done the farmer gives them a fresh bowl of warm milk straight from the milking parlour and they both enjoy an big meaty bone together at night!!

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    and they both enjoy an big meaty bone together at night!!

:eek:

I thought this was a Christian farm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    If you cook scrambled egg on non-stock frying pan, it doesn't stick.
    Mind blown!
    Why the hell was I shown how to make scrambled eggs in a stainless steel pot?? I've always assumed there was a reason it needed to be on a pot, so have done it this way for the past 20(?) yrs. I've always meant to try/buy a non stick pot for this but never got round to it...

I don't want to blow your mind further, but you can cook scrambled eggs using plastic containers, in a microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Jackson Browne and James Taylor are different people.
    For some reason I have always attributed songs written by one to the other and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    After having watched Game of Thrones and being a fan of Lily Allen. I have only just found out that Alfie Allen who played Theon Greyjoy is Lily’s little brother and the subject of her song ‘Alfie’.

do you know her da?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It took an nine year old thread to explain the second meaning of the chicken crossing the road joke to me. I'm 50.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Celmullet

The reason why theatre people say "break a leg" is that they want you in the "cast". I only found this out last week after four decades on this earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Celmullet wrote: »
    The reason why theatre people say "break a leg" is that they want you in the "cast". I only found this out last week after four decades on this earth.

Someone is pulling your leg.

It's believed to be bad luck to wish someone well in the theatre. "Break a leg" is supposed to confuse the evil spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    And both were stepkids of Harry Enfield and she was the inspo for his baby loulou sketches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cml387 wrote: »
    Someone is pulling your leg.

It's believed to be bad luck to wish someone well in the theatre. "Break a leg" is supposed to confuse the evil spirits.
    Especially if you are doing the Scottish play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement