Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance

Options
  • 09-06-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I am looking for an insurance for my property, but when I asked to the broker if I will be covered in the case of one of my tenants forget a candle and my house will burn he said that accidental accidental damage is not included. I was thinking that accidental damage was only for broken items in the house?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I am looking for an insurance for my property, but when I asked to the broker if I will be covered in the case of one of my tenants forget a candle and my house will burn he said that accidental accidental damage is not included. I was thinking that accidental damage was only for broken items in the house?
    Get another broker!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Get another broker!

I tried several brokers, but they all say the same thing:
    The insurer will not pay if my home or any part of it is lent to any person other then a member of your household or let to tenants or occupied by paying guests.
    I was really surprised, but they say that if an accidental fire occurs because of negligence of the tenant they are not going to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Allianz I think do accidental cover. I've recently used insuremyhouse.ie as it was the cheapest by far compared to any brokers I previously used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think something is getting lost in translation here, there aren't many home insurance policies that would exclude fire damage.

Graham wrote: »
    I think something is getting lost in translation here, there aren't many home insurance policies that would exclude fire damage.

English is not my first language so maybe something is getting lost in translation

I sent an email to the broker with the question:
    In the case a paying guest or a tenant accidentally set a fire will the content of my house be insured?
    and she replied:

Accidental damage is not included

In the terms and condition in the booklet of the contents insurance I had for many years is written:

The insurer will not pay accidental damage if my home or any part of it is lent to any person other then a member of your household or let to tenants or occupied by paying guests.

If a tenant forget a frying pan with oil and my house burns he will have to pay for the damage.

I think it makes sense because my insurance can cover what I do wrong or if there is an electrical short circuit that cause fire and nobody can predict but if there is a negligence the responsible person (or his insurance) should pay
    It is the same thing with the car, my insurance will not pay if the accident is caused by the other driver.
    I don't know what to do now, because if I had long term tenants I will include an insurance in the lease but for students that stay only a few weeks is a problem

• Advertisement

Are you renting the entire house out to long-term tenants? If so you you should look at landlords insurance.

If you are thinking about renting spare rooms using AirBnB (or similar) there are specific policies offered by some insurers (discussed in other threads). These may also be appropriate if you're taking in short-term lodgers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I buy landlords insurance....

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I buy landlords insurance....

Some landlords policies only cover long-term lettings (6mths +) so may not be appropriate for the OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

or maybe he rents rooms out rather then a house.

Graham wrote: »
    Some landlords policies only cover long-term lettings (6mths +) so may not be appropriate for the OP.[/QUOTE

exactly, I just rent rooms in my own house and I might travel abroad for a few months

• Advertisement

If the house burns down it will be covered. If a tenant accidentally burns a hole in the carpet it wont be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gmgm.cool

What is the best home insurance for new homes (in Dublin).

Advertisement