Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD PoE CCTV security cameras

Options
  • 15-11-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I would like to install a HD CCTV camera system in my house. 4 cameras outdoor and 1 camera inside the house.

My criteria below:
    1. PoE cameras required that would take power via Ethernet port

2. Video and audio from all the cameras needs to be captured and stored in cloud or a storage inside the house.

3. Automatic video and audio / picture capture on all cameras, if motion is detected.

4. Cameras should be small form factor and dome type wide angle cameras

5. Night vision capable

6. CAT5e or CAT6 cables have to be installed.

7. I should be able to view the camera live and also the recorded clips on a PC or android mobile

8. Is reolink a good reliable brand. Prefer something like below.
    https://reolink.com/ie/product/rlk8-800d4/

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Reolink, Swann, Amcrest, Foscam and other cheap and cheerful Chinese brands are just that. They do a job and will handle what you laid out above. I started out with similar kit and eventually binned it for more professional cameras. One word of warning on these is that they are garbage at night and the infrared will attract insects so you can look forward to thousands of spurious alarms triggered. Some of the higher end systems have deep learning and can rule these false positives out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’ll be looking for something similar in January when we move into a new house. Also spotted the Reolink. Can you suggest an alternative better system?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

Reolink, Swann, Amcrest, Foscam and other cheap and cheerful Chinese brands are just that. They do a job and will handle what you laid out above. I started out with similar kit and eventually binned it for more professional cameras. One word of warning on these is that they are garbage at night and the infrared will attract insects so you can look forward to thousands of spurious alarms triggered. Some of the higher end systems have deep learning and can rule these false positives out.

Can you please suggest another CCTV system then? Thanks...

This forum is riddled with suggestions for Dahua or Hikvision. Both make commercial grade systems and lots on here have installed them. My personal preference is Hikvision and in particular, their colorvu cameras and acusense NVRs. The next gen colorvu camera is out next month with built in acusense. I'll be upgrading at least 1 camera once available. However, it's not cheap at about 150 per camera. There's also Hilook by hikvision and EZ by dahua which are cheaper, less than full spec lines which are pretty good. They'd be about the same as the reolink you posted. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently wrong with the system you posted for the price. You get what you pay for.
    Have a read of the forum. There's lots of great advice as this question has been asked plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭unregd147

This forum is riddled with suggestions for Dahua or Hikvision. Both make commercial grade systems and lots on here have installed them. My personal preference is Hikvision and in particular, their colorvu cameras and acusense NVRs. The next gen colorvu camera is out next month with built in acusense. I'll be upgrading at least 1 camera once available. However, it's not cheap at about 150 per camera. There's also Hilook by hikvision and EZ by dahua which are cheaper, less than full spec lines which are pretty good. They'd be about the same as the reolink you posted. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inherently wrong with the system you posted for the price. You get what you pay for.
    Have a read of the forum. There's lots of great advice as this question has been asked plenty of times.

Whats the model number of the new colorvu due out?

I'm looking at buying a system and have the same requirements as the OP but I live outside a village so there's not much light. The village street lights can be seen through hedging ~250m away on the east gable and back of the house but there's no source of light to the front or west gable of the house.

Do I need a dark fighter in this situation? Could you recommend a suitable model darkfighter or otherwise?
    I'm also conscious of insects/spider but realise I may be stuck here

• Advertisement

The new colorvu is DS-2CD2347G2-LU.
    There's no details on whether it'll automatically trigger the led light on events or not yet, if it does, it may be sufficient for your purposes. If not then a darkfighter is your best bet alright.
    Any darkfighter or powered by darkfighter up to 4MP will do a good job. There's no sense in going for higher MP as the night vision element really starts to suffer unless spending 1000s on the camera. Higher MP helps in daylight only.
    One trick to avoid insects is to get a separate IR light source and install it somewhere else to illuminate the area you want to view. Then leave the built in IR on the camera switched off. It's not perfect but the insects aren't as interested in a dark camera. I'd just get the camera first and install it to see if you even need the ir on. I used to just leave a light on in the bathroom and it illuminated the garden sufficiently. Then you can decide if you want a separate IR source or not.
    Any camera starting with DS-2CD234 should be a good option. The third digit (4) indicates the MP. Then check the spec sheet for the minimum illumination value. Smaller numbers are better and I wouldn't go above 0.008 Lux. In fact most of the current gen are 0.005 Lux or better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does the colourvu keep the led light on permantly?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Does the colourvu keep the led light on permantly?

The current model can be permanently on, permanently off or switched on/off based on a timer or sensor detecting night. It cannot be off and turn on immediately upon detection, unless you load a particular firmware from Australia on it. I suspect the next firmware update for the EU version will also add this feature.
    You can also set how bright the led is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rlady

Hikvision camera systems that I recommend to you. But I want to follow the subject with the permission of the subject owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Figured I'd piggy-back on this thread since I am planning something similar to the OP and was looking for opinions on how well this will work....

I am initially planning two cameras might want to add one more in the future. I am not looking for 4K picture or anything, a decent picture quality will do.

Looking at getting two of this camera . My only concern is the lens might not be wide enough angle.
    Planning on this box, I will add a good hard disk myself.
    I will locate the box in the attic beside the router and wire up cameras using ethernet. From what I can see Cat5 cable will be sufficient for POE and bandwidth.

Any thoughts, I am looking at about €350-400 when I include cable, crimper, hard disk, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I would advise you guys to test your cameras on Normal mode, turn of night vision or if they are synced with a timer turn of auto. If you have anyway half decent light in camera field-of-view then normal/colour mode will provide a better video view of what's going on...

Is there any other "budget value for money" CCTV camera option other than Reolink. Checked both Hikvision and Dahua. Their budget version specs are lower than that of Reolink. Also I would need whole CCTV system (NVR + 4 or 5 cameras + PoE Wired door bell )?

Any suggestions? Any recomended PoE wired door bell? My current (chineese) one gets depleted of it battery in just 2 days! Cant afford Ring doorbells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

I want to piggy back as it mentions Reolink. I came across this today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Argus-Rechargeable-Solar-Powered-Surveillance/dp/B07999Z3M3

Anyone any experience of it?

Any one who does just the cabling part? CCTV installers / Electricians ?

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

id like to piggy back this thread and ask others what do the think of the 5mp 4k POE cameras,

2 ~TB storage, 8 channel dvr Power of Ethernet cables, on paper it looks reasonable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I was looking at these for a family member recently. They look decent, however I think the 2TB hard drive they offer is miserably small with no option to upgrade… I would think with 4 cameras you’d want at least 4TB, never mind 8 cameras. But maybe people are happy with only a few days storage. Although you can add or swap the hard drive so it’s not all bad, just an additional cost to consider.

Advertisement