Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm liking the game but, like every new Fallout instalment, it takes me a while to find the "loop" and I get too overwhelmed with the places, people and dialogue options (in that case I take Fallout 4 out of that example). I'm not sure I like the multiple more-contained open areas as opposed to a big sprawling area.... then again I keep playing this as if it's Fallout, and expecting a wasteland akin to one.

My biggest complaint is the loading screens....I'm on PS4 Pro and I didn't think I'd run into something like this. 52 seconds to go from my ship to outside. Mind you it was a new area so I don't know if that contributed to it.

Other than that I think it has huge potential. I'm only after leaving the first area, so I'm still finding my feet.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah it would say "Play Anywhere" on the Xbox App if it did, like it does under gears. It is a shame as it's nice to be able to hop between the two but I'll probably have to go PC for this when I can only choose one.
    Load times alone will always steer me towards pc. Never mind graphics and fps, if I'm waiting minutes to fast travel between areas on console then its pc all the way.

Game Pass for PC. It's worth it as there is quite a few games also on there you can play for kinda free, small fee and your all set.

Or just buy it like any other game. Up to you.

This is not the first time I've tried to sign up game pass. They don't want you to sign up apparently because its so ****ing hard to do so.

Eventually paid for game pass. I kept getting sent to the US store. Now how do I download the game. Seriously. This should be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s been a long time since I’ve played a high profile game (would this be considered “triple a”) so I don’t have much to compare it to but I like it so far. The humour is good and I like the ship. Playing this on a pc and a few stutters aside, it seems fine. My machine is a few years old but the graphic settings are defaulted to very high so I’m happy with that.

I’ve made it as far as Edgewater and have my first companion.

I like the style too. I wonder is there any interesting merch available?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Eventually paid for game pass. I kept getting sent to the US store. Now how do I download the game. Seriously. This should be easy.

You need the Xbox App (Beta), you might need to update windows before you can get it (you need version 1903).

More info here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057986993

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It is, the download link is usually in the top right of the game page. Before downloading I recommend manually specifying your installation drive settings:
    Account (avatar) / Settings / General
    - Choose the appropriate drive and I personally tick the Ask every time box to make sure I'm aware if it gets reset in an update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Game pass on PC is great value, but the Xbox beta app is an absolute piece of **** in ways I find baffling even for a supposed ‘beta’. The way it handles downloads and updates is baffling, and you basically need the Store app alongside the console companion as well.

Great value, lots of great games, but amateurish in the ways only Microsoft can manage.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Why do you need the store app? Never had to open once since the Xbox App came out.

I can't believe how bad this is. I had previously uninstalled the xbox app as... I don't want apps I don't use (pains me to say app when referring to pc programs), now I can't install the xbox app again. Just give me a downloadable exe file. It's acting as if I already have it installed. I want to give them money and they aren't letting me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why do you need the store app? Never had to open once since the Xbox App came out.

Had problems downloading Gears 5 update recently and the only way I could easily fix it was going into the Store and sorting it out from there. It’s all just clunky and weird.

I can't believe how bad this is. I had previously uninstalled the xbox app as... I don't want apps I don't use (pains me to say app when referring to pc programs), now I can't install the xbox app again. Just give me a downloadable exe file. It's acting as if I already have it installed. I want to give them money and they aren't letting me.

You sure you had this app before? It's a new app. It's not the same thing as the Xbox Console companion app.

There's a direct link to it in the thread I posted above, or click here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Relax a little, your coming across as really angry. You'll be murdering space aliens in no time :) It's a different app you need, the original app is just the Xbox companion app.

You sure you had this app before? It's a new app. It's not the same thing as the Xbox Console companion app.

There's a direct link to it in the thread I posted above, or click here.

I click "Install on my devices" select my device, then nothing happens

Are you back on the US store again? Mine jumps around like that if I've had my VPN on and then I can't download stuff until I'm on the Irish store.

Is that in the windows store after you click "Get" on the above link? I just tried it on the work PC there and it worked fine. Just clicked "Install" when it opened the windows store after clicking "Get" and it downloaded.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Relax a little, your coming across as really angry. You'll be murdering space aliens in no time :) It's a different app you need, the original app is just the Xbox companion app.

I hate bad software. What can I say. This isn't the first time I've found Microsoft's distribution to be left wanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Game pass on PC is great value, but the Xbox beta app is an absolute piece of **** in ways I find baffling even for a supposed ‘beta’. The way it handles downloads and updates is baffling, and you basically need the Store app alongside the console companion as well.

Great value, lots of great games, but amateurish in the ways only Microsoft can manage.

The app's working perfect for me on PC. Jumped into the app last night to see what the story was with the download options for the game, to find it had installed the game in the background and was all ready to go. I did do the mini install when TOW first popped up in the store months ago but was pleasently surprised to see it fully installed and ready to play last night.

Venom wrote: »
    The app's working perfect for me on PC. Jumped into the app last night to see what the story was with the download options for the game, to find it had installed the game in the background and was all ready to go. I did do the mini install when TOW first popped up in the store months ago but was pleasently surprised to see it all ready to go.

I think you can push a download from the app to your PC as well. Don't think it'll work in sleep mode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I want to get home and play this!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I think you can push a download from the app to your PC as well. Don't think it'll work in sleep mode though.

For the record, when refering to the app I mean the Xbox Beta Gamepass yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Is this available on PC if you've the gamepass?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I want to get home and play this!
    Tell your employer you ain't feeling right and head for home.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Is this available on PC if you've the gamepass?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dmq2fj/pc_disable_that_pesky_taa_and_dof/

Disable TAA and DOF for PC

Some other settings too. It can affect how the game looks and performs.

Also, setting screen effects to medium apparently turns off the chromatic aberration which can cause problems...

Had problems downloading Gears 5 update recently and the only way I could easily fix it was going into the Store and sorting it out from there. It’s all just clunky and weird.
    Well it is in beta. But yes it is just a filtered view of games in the store and it will put your games in the same download queue as the store apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

About 2 hours into it now and really enjoying it. Still in starting area and it feels open world eske.
    Plays so well on pc as well and looks better than i thought it would from previous trailers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I am surprised that people are having issue with the xbox gamepass. I just used the Microsoft store on the desktop to download it. I suppose that is why the Microsoft PC experience is bad there are too many sales platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just starting it now and PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Anyone else finding the shooting a bit off on this. Was taking cover there and shooting a dude in the head and shots just weren't registering. Enjoying it so far other than that but only about an hour in.

Advertisement