Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Dublin/Befast - 24 hour service

Options
  • 18-11-2007 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/news_briefs.asp?action=view&news_id=593

Dublin/Befast - 24 hour service - Published - 15th November 2007

Bus Éireann is pleased to announce the introduce of the FIRST 24 hour Inter-City Coach service on the island of Ireland.

From Sunday, 18 November 2007, Route 1/200 Dublin-Dublin Airport-Newry-Belfast (operated in conjunction with Ulsterbus) will become a full 24 hour service, offering 24 daily departures from Dublin City/Dublin Airport to Newry/Belfast, and 24 daily departures from Belfast/Newry to Dublin Airport/Dublin City.

Timetable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I take it from the timetable you wont be able to jump on at drogheda and head back to dublin? Currently have to head back about 22:30 when I'm up. It would be nice to know a bus would pick up 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

I hear Dublin Airport-Dublin-Rosslare is planned for 24hr ops soon enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lovely. Saves a few bob on accommodation when I head up there now. Not too long a journey either, specially not after a gig anyway, when I'll be pretty wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well if this works well it could they could open up other inter-urban routes 24hrs like dublin-cork or dublin-limerick. But even still I can't see there being all that much demand, Am I wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

clown bag wrote: »
    I take it from the timetable you wont be able to jump on at drogheda and head back to dublin? Currently have to head back about 22:30 when I'm up. It would be nice to know a bus would pick up 24 hours a day.

Strangely the only (200/001) service that will pick up and set down in Drogheda is the 0300 from Belfast, departing Dundalk and Drogheda at 0410 and 0440 respectively.

The service really loses its attractiveness having to go through Dundalk and Drogheda on so many departures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well if this works well it could they could open up other inter-urban routes 24hrs like dublin-cork or dublin-limerick. But even still I can't see there being all that much demand, Am I wrong here?

The current overnight service on the Dublin-Belfast route that has been running for the last year at 21.00, 23.00, 01.00, 04.00, 05.00 (and hourly until 21.00) has become very popular and on some nights more than one bus is needed on some of the runs.

There has been murmurings of more routes getting an overnight service for a while now. Derry, Letterkenny and Galway have all had recent changes giving some overnight runs to/from Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

1huge1 wrote: »

Well, strangely enough people don't usually turn up to the bus station after the last bus has gone, as it's rather a long wait till the first one in the morning. That said, I know people who in a sense have, having been caught out by the ridiculously early last bus time from Dublin. Intercity trains really stop running far too early too.

Still, it probably will change soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Fair play to BE for this one, big improvement on an already great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

First off, kudos to BE for launching this and hopefully it'll prove successful enough to be extended to other routes.

HOWEVER the fact that ther is as yet no 24 hour CITY bus service seems at odds with this. Presumably passengers will be dropped at Busaras and be left to find taxis or lifts etc?

It's time the management, staff and unions woke up to the fact that Dublin is a 24 hour city and as such requires a full overnight service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    First off, kudos to BE for launching this and hopefully it'll prove successful enough to be extended to other routes.

HOWEVER the fact that ther is as yet no 24 hour CITY bus service seems at odds with this. Presumably passengers will be dropped at Busaras and be left to find taxis or lifts etc?

It's time the management, staff and unions woke up to the fact that Dublin is a 24 hour city and as such requires a full overnight service.

It is more to do with money. This service along with the rest of the express network is fully expected to pay for itself (and cross-subsidise rural pensioners weekly trip to town).

A night bus service with a decent coverage and useable frequency will not cover it's costs. Even the Nitelink with premium fares and minimum costs has been pared back because it wasn't paying it's way.

The bus company can hardly be expected to divert funds from the already underfunded daytime service to put buses overnight that will be relatively quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

John R wrote: »
    A night bus service with a decent coverage and useable frequency will not cover it's costs. Even the Nitelink with premium fares and minimum costs has been pared back because it wasn't paying it's way.

I know this boils down to that fact that night services in Dublin are PSOs but charging a premium for cut down routes isn't a good way to attract customers. I'd happily get the nightlink home but if there are two or more people travelling together, a taxi is probably going to be cheaper, get you closer to home and be faster than the convoluted routes NL runs. I'm not sure what DB can do in the meantime but I if it's not popular, maybe they need to have another look at how they run it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

surely an overnight dublin/cork bus service would be workable?

my thinking being that for such things as concerts/matches alot of people have to say in dublin overnight as last bus and trains out of dublin to cork are 6 and 9pm if im not mistaken?

also with the ever increasing usage of dublin airport from cork(judging myself by how many use the aircoach to dublin and then on to dublin airport)it could link up to the airport for those crucial early morning cheap as chips flights.

ok so maybe not a 24hr service,but surely there is enough demand on dublin/cork routes for later bus/train services between the two?i for one can testify that a midnight bus/train between cork dublin would be used by myself on a nearly weekly basis,and im a poor student!(who has to drive or stayover instead)

and sure while were at it how about nite links for the provincial cities?in cork city buses are finished by 11:30pm commuter services earlier.i reason that nitelink services on the 8,5,3,2,7 and on the ballincollig/carrigaline/midleton(through cobh and carrigtwohill)blarney services would be viable if they were run on thur/fri/sat nites?in limerick the UL route (302 methinks) is heavy throughout the week at nitetime,a couple of nitelink services on that route i think would be successful.

Advertisement