Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmer Pastimes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I’d be into cooking a bit, always like trying out a new recipe or thinking up new ideas for combinations. I suppose it has now ended up at the stage where it has turned into a fully diversified business and I’m producing convenience meals and in discussions with the enemy about shelf space. It’s been an eye opening experience and extremely time consuming so I haven’t been cooking for pleasure as much recently, more necessity. I’ve also taken up running nearly two years now, but enjoy mountain running more so. I’ve a 22 mile Skyline race over 4000m of elevations in the Mourne mountains this Saturday and also got selected this week for London marathon in April. Getting out for a run is great for the head and allows for a bit of introspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Antrim Glens, considering where you come from, you could like Setanta take a hurley and a ball and puck it it front of you as your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I’d be into cooking a bit, always like trying out a new recipe or thinking up new ideas for combinations. I suppose it has now ended up at the stage where it has turned into a fully diversified business and I’m producing convenience meals and in discussions with the enemy about shelf space. It’s been an eye opening experience and extremely time consuming so I haven’t been cooking for pleasure as much recently, more necessity. I’ve also taken up running nearly two years now, but enjoy mountain running more so. I’ve a 22 mile Skyline race over 4000m of elevations in the Mourne mountains this Saturday and also got selected this week for London marathon in April. Getting out for a run is great for the head and allows for a bit of introspection.

hope I'm not wrong here but haven't you another big event this week ?

best of luck on the night and in the marathon .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Fair play!, done a reasonable bit of mountain running in my day (and still got unfinished business but track and roads have taken over lately), only Mourne I've done is Slieve Donald as a training run, and my God the climbing was relentless. And yeh agreed, everything about running is great, aside from the head and all that, it's great to be able to see how far you can push yourself, see your progress over time, the whole social side of it(I've plenty of life long friends from running), and I'm now coaching also, which adds another element to it all.

orm0nd wrote: »
    hope I'm not wrong here but haven't you another big event this week ?

best of luck on the night and in the marathon .

Ha Ormond, no flies on you. Yeah I’m not able to make it as I couldn’t trust myself to go there and not imbibe and then be in some sort of shape for the mountains on Saturday morning. This race has been on my radar for too long to jeopardise it despite the incentives.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Antrim Glens, considering where you come from, you could like Setanta take a hurley and a ball and puck it it front of you as your running.

They actually do the Ulster poc fada over our hill, for a number 6 I never had a big strike on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

They actually do the Ulster poc fada over our hill, for a number 6 I never had a big strike on me.
    Unfortunately I've never seen/heard of the poc fada either in Longford or NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Reading, hillwalking and drink. After the birth of my son with DS, I was under a lot of pressure. I returned to making those plastic model kits. German armour of WW2. I like Napoleonic miniatures also but have little time.

Time spent doing nothing is the most productive time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I luv lookin at burds;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Do a bit of clay shooting, nothing serious, just a bunch of guys (and gals) on a Sunday morning.
    Like messing about with things mechanical, and also shout in a choir most weeks.
    It's actually very therapeutic, and a good social outlet.
    Been on a few trips with them, Galway a few times, Dublin and Belfast, New York for Paddys day parade a few years ago.
    Wales last Paddys day weekend was a great trip. Lovely people and great city. Heading to Limerick with them for the Munster V Connacht match next month too.

Fookin Ell Nek, I often thought it before but I have waaay too much in common with you:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Unfortunately I've never seen/heard of the poc fada either in Longford or NCD.

They do poc fada in louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Don't seem to have much time for hobbies the last few years. Kids are flat out most evenings between scouts camogie rugby swimming, but I tend to get involved in helping with activities,
    Can't understand parents that drop there kids at training and sit in the car on their phone without ever once throwing and eye on how there doing.

New scout leaders are told "it only an hour a week"
    Try to cycle a bit both road and MTB, done gym/circuit classes last winter really enjoyed it.

Last xmas I got a big lego technic set, which was great to build, they have advanced a lot since I was a chap probably a good 20hrs building over 2 week.
    Will get another one this year, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I spend way too much time on youtube. I'm starting to watch a lot of the old boxing matches that I was either too young at the time or they were pay-per-view. Hurling would be my number one sport. I played it years ago, club,school and college. Followed then by football, rugby. I find it hard to watch soccer.

I really enjoy hill walking. Great to get out and clear the head. No patience whatsoever for reading. Having the few purebred limousins could be considered a hobby, I suppose. I try and keep up with the latest breeding. I've also done a lot of travelling. Something like 35 countries. Did most tru work so didn't cost too much.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

dar31 wrote: »
    Don't seem to have much time for hobbies the last few years. Kids are flat out most evenings.....

Last xmas I got a big lego technic set, which was great to build, they have advanced a lot since I was a chap probably a good 20hrs building over 2 week.

Well this is the thing. Now my two lads are still pre school but l can see the trends emerging with older kids and the lifestyle. They involved in loads of stuff, and adults ran ragged driving them there and back and neglecting themselves. It's not something l aspire to myself. I don't think it's healthy. Adults need and deserve their own time too Imo.

That's an excellent idea about the lego. I used to love Lego as a kid and indeed had one of those Lego technical sets from 30 years ago. It had pneumatic cylinders complete with valve chest. Twas great for making diggers etc and a great grounding in how hydraulics etc work in real life.

I've also done a lot of travelling. Something like 35 countries. Did most tru work so didn't cost too much.

It's not all it's cracked up to be in that context, depends on your schedule l suppose. But l agree travel is excellent. See a different side of things. How the other half live. I would have considered it a waste of money when younger until I actually did a bit of travelling and experience it for myself.

Wife would travel a bit with work and hates it now (as do l) to the point she is looking to change jobs.
    Anyone that hasn't done it, thinks it's great. Reality is a lot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muckit wrote: »
    Well this is the thing. Now my two lads are still pre school but l can see the trends emerging with older kids and the lifestyle. They involved in loads of stuff, and adults ran ragged driving them there and back and neglecting themselves. It's not something l aspire to myself. I don't think it's healthy. Adults need and deserve their own time too Imo.

That's an excellent idea about the lego. I used to love Lego as a kid and indeed had one of those Lego technical sets from 30 years ago. It had pneumatic cylinders complete with valve chest. Twas great for making diggers etc and a great grounding in how hydraulics etc work in real life.

I think the alternative of kids not doing any sports etc is awful. It's only for a few years and you donr have to sit in your car during training etc. Alot of pitches have walkways around them now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

I've taken up bikram yoga in the last few months and find it very good for my back and my head!

What activity to you like to engage in as a pastime?

i've taken up heated yoga on a Monday night. I find it very good and a great stress reliever and its a damn good workout to boot.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think the alternative of kids not doing any sports etc is awful. It's only for a few years and you donr have to sit in your car during training etc. Alot of pitches have walkways around them now

Oh l agree. I just think there needs to be a fair middle ground. It's not a case of one or the other. Kids have their evening/evenings. But Daddy gets his and so does Mammy. It may mean kids need to make a choice of what activities they do. Kids shouldn't hog all the timetable.

That was happening here in a different way and l was near burn out until l started addressing it.

cosatron wrote: »
    i've taken up heated yoga on a Monday night. I find it very good and a great stress reliever and its a damn good workout to boot.

Yeah that's the one l do. 90min @40*C. I was walking around as stiff as a stake with very poor flexibility after my back and shoulder injuries. The yoga has made unreal difference to my suppleness and less instances of twingy pain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

When adults get involved in their kids activities and clubs there is a huge social aspect to that for the adults. It promotes common topics and interests for parents and their children to talk about and enjoy without it being about school or work.

Driving your kids to sports gives you time to observe your kids interacting with others in the back of the car which is both interesting and entertaining but also you get to see what the relationships are like, if they are healthy influences and the type of kids you want your mixing with.

I agree adults need their own time, but the priority is your children so finding something common to enjoy is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

dar31 wrote: »
    Don't seem to have much time for hobbies the last few years. Kids are flat out most evenings between scouts camogie rugby swimming, but I tend to get involved in helping with activities,
    Can't understand parents that drop there kids at training and sit in the car on their phone without ever once throwing and eye on how there doing.

New scout leaders are told "it only an hour a week"
    Try to cycle a bit both road and MTB, done gym/circuit classes last winter really enjoyed it.

The kids bought me the bucket wheel excavator. The new Liebherr set is €450. Mad money.

I agree with all you said _brian. But ld draw the line at kids having priority.

Every member of the family are equally important.

A parent is no good to their kids if they are a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

The kids bought me the bucket wheel excavator. The new Liebherr set is €450. Mad money.

Yea silly money reviews say there is very little mechanics in it all about the new app.
    Try big red the rough terrain crane the amount of gearing in it is unreal and just looking at the diff set up is a thing of beauty.
    Looking at the new land rover defender for xmas.

It's not all it's cracked up to be in that context, depends on your schedule l suppose. But l agree travel is excellent. See a different side of things. How the other half live. I would have considered it a waste of money when younger until I actually did a bit of travelling and experience it for myself.

Wife would travel a bit with work and hates it now (as do l) to the point she is looking to change jobs.
    Anyone that hasn't done it, thinks it's great. Reality is a lot different.

I agree, it's not for everyone. You have to do it when you're young, I think. I worked on a beech resort in the US on a J1 visa and it was the happiest time of my life. It was where the film Jaws was filmed. If I had got the Green Card I would have definitely imigrated there. My brother worked in the same hotel, got the Green Card and he now lives in California. It was a lotto as to who got it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

whelan2 wrote: »

That's the way I view it too.
    Sport was never as important. I feel like a taxi driver bringing my lads to various training sessions and matches. As they're getting older they're making their own way to club training. County training is another matter.
    I'm glad they do it and as long as they want to do it I'll bring them.
    I've great admiration for the young lads that are not in the top 20% or so but keep going and keep improving. I see young lads of very limited ability absolutely loving it. They never get the kudos the few elite lads get but they keep plugging away being the best they can be and being great team members..... and keep themselves in great shape, make life long friends and be part of a community. The greatest club chairman or secretary or club man in a few years time might not have been the greatest player!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I spend way too much time on youtube. I'm starting to watch a lot of the old boxing matches that I was either too young at the time or they were pay-per-view. Hurling would be my number one sport. I played it years ago, club,school and college. Followed then by football, rugby. I find it hard to watch soccer.

I really enjoy hill walking. Great to get out and clear the head. No patience whatsoever for reading. Having the few purebred limousins could be considered a hobby, I suppose. I try and keep up with the latest breeding. I've also done a lot of travelling. Something like 35 countries. Did most tru work so didn't cost too much.

Ward vs Gatti - round 9. Not the greatest boxers but the commentary and the two guys dying on their feet was sone sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sport was never as important. I feel like a taxi driver bringing my lads to various training sessions and matches. As they're getting older they're making their own way to club training. County training is another matter.
    I've great admiration for the young lads that are not in the top 20% or so but keep going and keep improving. I see young lads of very limited ability absolutely loving it. They never get the kudos the few elite lads get but they keep plugging away being the best they can be and being great team members..... and keep themselves in great shape, make life long friends and be part of a community. The greatest club chairman or secretary or club man in a few years time might not have been the greatest player!

We have a guy who played corner back for our Junior B team for 22 years. He never pulled on a jersey for the first team. He was Mr reliable, trained every day and never missed a match.
    Since retiring and also while still playing he has been U9, minor and Junior B manager and senior selector for almost ten years. He has been secretary for three years, treasurer for 4 and chairman for the last 5.
    Our best ever player has never set foot in the field since retiring. I know who is of more value to our little rural club!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

I agree totally with you
    I hear parents giving out about bringing kids training and matches
    Wait till little Jonny down the road turns into big jonny and arrives in your yard in a suped up racing car bringing your pride and joy off to training at 200mph
    And you sitting at the window 2 hrs later waiting for them to come home!... worried sick about them

I'll drive them any day and every day if I could

Ward vs Gatti - round 9. Not the greatest boxers but the commentary and the two guys dying on their feet was sone sight.

Have you seen Vasyl Lomachenko? Unreal, his father took him out of boxing when he was young for 3 years to learn traditional Ukraine dancing. His footwork and movement is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I can remember from my youth, the kids that made it at adult level, weren’t always the strongest ones at underage levels, but the ones who wanted it most and kept going. Quite often the superstars at the under age levels are nowhere to be seen, but the strugglers keep going. I see a lot of towns in rural Ireland, the banks have decked off, post offices and shops closed down l, but the local small gaa pitch keeps going. It’s the backbone of a community. I’m saying this as someone who never had time for them before, but have great respect for the local small team and all the parents that keep it going.

Advertisement