Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Review

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

If the rent is incorrect you need to bring it to the landlord's attention within the specified time. I am aware of a case where a tenant accepted the increase, which was incorrect, and complained to the PRTB two years later. He got no satisfaction. The landlord may have been penalized(I don't know about that) but the tenant was definitely not reimbursed. You need to stand your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    If the rent is incorrect you need to bring it to the landlord's attention within the specified time. I am aware of a case where a tenant accepted the increase, which was incorrect, and complained to the PRTB two years later. He got no satisfaction. The landlord may have been penalized(I don't know about that) but the tenant was definitely not reimbursed. You need to stand your ground.

The position in rent pressure zones is different. Legally you cannot agree to a rent higher than that allowable by the formula and any such increase is automatically invalid.

Outside a rent pressure zone one can agree to a rent review that is procedurally or otherwise incorrect. That does then limit your ability to raise a dispute later.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

This case I referred to was in a rent pressure zone. Apparently when it comes to complaints which are raised after the specified time, the landlord can be taken to task and penalized for ignoring the regulations, but the tenant not compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Subutai wrote: »
    The position in rent pressure zones is different. Legally you cannot agree to a rent higher than that allowable by the formula and any such increase is automatically invalid.

Outside a rent pressure zone one can agree to a rent review that is procedurally or otherwise incorrect. That does then limit your ability to raise a dispute later.

the rtb rent increase notice says if the new rent is wrong it has to be notified before 28 days or new rent. How can it be raised years later?

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    This case I referred to was in a rent pressure zone. Apparently when it comes to complaints which are raised after the specified time, the landlord can be taken to task and penalized for ignoring the regulations, but the tenant not compensated.

I'd be interested in seeing that tribunal report. It goes against any I've seen where tenants have been refunded.

There isn't any specified time in the legislation in this respect.

• Advertisement

the rtb rent increase notice says if the new rent is wrong it has to be notified before 28 days or new rent. How can it be raised years later?

The 28 days relates to disputing the rent review. In the case of the RPZ there is no need to dispute, any increase outside of the formula is prima facie invalid, and unlike in the above situation any agreement from the tenant cannot render it valid.

It is analogous to the minium wage. You can sign a contract for an rate below that, but a payment of wages claim will later succeed regardless of your agreement. It is prudent to raise it as early as you can, but it is not the case that failing to raise it will kill your claim.

The idea of preventing tenants (or workers) from contracting out of their rights is to counter the economic power differential. If the legislation didn't do that it would be worthless, as your landlord (employer) would simply not accomodate (hire) you or would evict (dismiss) you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Don't assume that if its not up- that your tenancy isn't registered- it might not be- but it also could be a screwup on the part of the RTB.
    OK and how likely is that opposed to really not registered by LL?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

McGiver wrote: »
    OK and how likely is that opposed to really not registered by LL?

I'm possible to tell with any degree of accuracy- however, it could be as many as 1-in-5. Apparently its driving Threshold nuts.

A late fee will suffice, the property is owned by the LL he will in time sell or renovate and will get market rate eventually ur sense of entitlement to cheaper rent than others is tenant greed...

It is not an entitlement but a law.

Tenant greed, now that's an innovative term.

Tenant is absolutely the weaker party in the tenant-landlord relationship hence most civilised European countries have tenants protected by the law and have rental market regulated.

I understand that this does not go down well in Ireland culturally where rules, regulations and law are generally frowned upon and where exists a class of super greedy tax avoiding landlords, but it's about time this changed and the existing, comparatively quite weak, regulation of RPZs is a first step in the right direction.

How does that sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

It is not an entitlement but a law.

Tenant greed, now that's an innovative term.

Tenant is absolutely the weaker party in the tenant-landlord relationship hence most civilised European countries have tenants protected by the law and have rental market regulated.

I understand that this does not go down well in Ireland culturally where rules, regulations and law are generally frowned upon and where exists a class of super greedy tax avoiding landlords, but it's about time this changed and the existing, comparatively quite weak, regulation of RPZs is a first step in the right direction.

How does that sound?

I think its human greed, both the tenant and ll want the best outcome and neither are better than the other.

Please explain to me how tenants are the weaker party here? The legislation over the past 5 years or more say otherwise. Please tell me one other western country that have stronger protections for tenants as places like usa, germany that do have some forms of rent control have less risk as tenants in arrears are kicked out promptly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZygWICdi4U&t=455s

Please take a look at the video above. its cheesy but it talks about the main negatives of rent control coupled with the fact that in the end it actually creates a worse situation for the majority of tenants due to smaller supply and increased rent for people that do need to move for various reasons including new jobs, larger families etc.

What do you think will happen if if more anti ll come out. Do you not think the consequence of this is that more ll will leave the market when more are needed. Close to 2000 landlords have left the market and the total supply of rental accommodation has declined since 2015. Is this good for the market.

Tax avoid landlords? Please back this up with facts and not emotive fluff words that hold no meaning to reality. Most ll pay 50pc on the profit they make. In my case i earned 1/6 of my gross last year. The rest went to paying locally sourced material and labour and TAX.

How does that sound?

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote:
    Please explain to me how tenants are the weaker party here? The legislation over the past 5 years or more say otherwise. Please tell me one other western country that have stronger protections for tenants as places like usa, germany that do have some forms of rent control have less risk as tenants in arrears are kicked out promptly.

Sure, it's very simple.

Tenant - if the tenancy is lost, they are probably in a big trouble, have to look for new home, have to move somewhere else, and potentially end up homeless, with a crap house or with an unaffordable accommodation. Great prospect, indeed. This is especially true in a market with huge shortage of supply over demand. And the psychological pressure tenant is subjected to by thinking about moving, finding new house etc is quite serious.

Landlord - if the tenancy is lost, nothing happens, they just may lose profit otherwise no inconvenience apart from putting it on the market, no danger of homelessness, and in a short supply market they may not even lose profit. No psychological pressure really.

How on earth can you ever claim tenant is not the weaker party? Tenant has everything to lose, landlord very little.
    Fol20 wrote:
    What do you think will happen if if more anti ll come out. Do you not think the consequence of this is that more ll will leave the market when more are needed. Close to 2000 landlords have left the market and the total supply of rental accommodation has declined since 2015. Is this good for the market.
    Deregulation will never fix the rental market. I would like to see one example where this was proven not to increase prices and not to decrease tenants' rights and bargaining power - deregulation always favours the strong, the landlord. It's a fantasy. Certain markets must be regulated and rental market is one of them. Rental market isn't for example a commodity market which can be completely liberalised and deregulated. You deal with humans and their very basic important needs here, it cannot be subjected to "free" market situation.

How many countries have you lived in and/or have serious understanding of their rental market? The German market is way more functional (or if you wish way less dysfunctional) than the Irish one.

Sure, it's very simple.

Tenant - if the tenancy is lost, they are probably in a big trouble, have to look for new home, have to move somewhere else, and potentially end up homeless, with a crap house or with an unaffordable accommodation. Great prospect, indeed. This is especially true in a market with huge shortage of supply over demand. And the psychological pressure tenant is subjected to by thinking about moving, finding new house etc is quite serious.

Landlord - if the tenancy is lost, nothing happens, they just may lose profit otherwise no inconvenience apart from putting it on the market, no danger of homelessness, and in a short supply market they may not even lose profit. No psychological pressure really.

How on earth can you ever claim tenant is not the weaker party? Tenant has everything to lose, landlord very little.

Deregulation will never fix the rental market. I would like to see one example where this was proven not to increase prices and not to decrease tenants' rights and bargaining power - deregulation always favours the strong, the landlord. It's a fantasy. Certain markets must be regulated and rental market is one of them. Rental market isn't for example a commodity market which can be completely liberalised and deregulated. You deal with humans and their very basic important needs here, it cannot be subjected to "free" market situation.

How many countries have you lived in and/or have serious understanding of their rental market? The German market is way more functional (or if you wish way less dysfunctional) than the Irish one.

Ok this shall be fun.

Tenant:
    Yes if a tenancy is lost, they will need to look for a new house. This is part of life and on average tenancies do not last that long especially for Irish culture. The norm for my properties in my case is 1- 4years with many moving on after it anyway. Yes you can have much longer tenancies however from my observations of the market, it isn’t as long as you make it out to be. There is 5000 homeless out of our entire population, the vast majority find somewhere else to live.

What you fail to realize is this rental crisis has been happening for what 4 years. People move from one hot topic to the next but 4 years is nothing and this will change in the future. People didn’t complain when ll were going bankrupt during the recession and rents were low. Normally in business there are Ebbs and flows and right now it’s the ll turn however this legislation is forcing it to be the tenants turn all the time. If you want an industry to remain in place from a macro economic level, this is not sustainable.

Landlord:
    You make it sound like the ll has no risk whatsoever. The ll has a large proportion of their wealth tied up in one asset where they may also have a mortgage on it and have to supplement this with other income to keep this property. If they don’t receive rent just for a few months, this can put them in the red and as what happened in the last recession, a lot of them went bankrupt. This is part of business and you have to accept the risks however you seem to disregard it completely.

How about tenant arrears,overstaying, damage. The largest cost I have witnessed(thank god it wasn’t me) for this is 40k on one property from one tenant.financially the tenant has very little to loose bar a deposit which can be disputed with RTB while ll has very little to no recourse.

I put it to you, how on earth can ll be the stronger party?

Did you look at anything in the video, please back up your opinion with some form of critical thinking or logic. Yes in short term, rents will rise. This is a fact as all ll will want to get it back up to where market rate is. Long term, this should attract more investors which should increase supply. Thus decreasing rent. It also encourages good tenants to potentially get a better rate as previous to this law. A lot of ll never increased rent however since this came in, even the most kind hearted ll have to be thinking about it. Look at ny and San Fran and how well their rent controls are performing. It either causes ghetto like accommodation as ll have no incentive to improve or ll find a way to kick the tenant out. Both are loose loose and the video I linked earlier went into other cons for this.

Right now the horizon is bleak for both. From ll point of view, all we see is more regulation, higher costs without being able to charge higher rents. So its all take.

For tenants, even with all this extra regulation that is being increased year on year is higher rents, more and more ll selling up and getting out of the market. the only new units coming on board are REITs buying entire blocks letting them all out at market rate. The total stock is declining making it worse for tenants. If the government start targeting these reits, this investor money will also dry up further constraining the market further.

I have active knowledge of French and Irish market.
    I have passing knowledge of German market as I was considering to invest. The German market is very different to here. Generally all places are unfurnished sometimes including kitchens, there is rent controls but they are also failing in the German market as you have seen from price increases and protest in Germany. It’s also easier to evict. The eu also recommend not to use rental controls as they had negative impacts on the industry which Ireland ignored also.
    I have rented In the Australian market and have some knowledge of the USA market as that is where most of the material is from. Why are you asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

This is what communist law of the land have given 1 sector but it comes with a price to those stressed tenants it was trying to preserve
    Landlord:
    Since 2008 taxes on LLs have increased by 25% bringing it to 50% highest in Europe
    5 years of rent control 2years freeze no comparison but I am sure its unmatched anywhere
    Enforced social housing responsibility in the form of HAP with no liability to council.
    LLs have no protections RTB more tenant friendly putting it mildly.
    Tenant:
    Stricter rules for notices and rent increases all tenant friendly with extra admin and cost to LL designed to keep tenant longer( 8 months in 1 case I had) ridiculous.
    No changes to evict for antisocial or non-payment of rent place trashing premitted.
    Future
    It’s a boom for the firms — just last month Ires REIT’s CEO Margaret Sweeney received a 100 per cent bonus, bringing her salary, including benefits, to a staggering €700,000 a year.

Fol20 wrote:
    How about tenant arrears,overstaying, damage. The largest cost I have witnessed(thank god it wasn’t me) for this is 40k on one property from one tenant.financially the tenant has very little to loose bar a deposit which can be disputed with RTB while ll has very little to no recourse.
    Do you have stats on % of tenancies affected by this?
    Fol20 wrote:
    I put it to you, how on earth can ll be the stronger party?
    You didn't convince me that it's not life vs profit i.e. huge qualitative difference between the parties.

What do you suggest then? I'd perfectly fine with expediting eviction in case of arrears and damage. But

Do you have stats on % of tenancies affected by this?

You didn't convince me that it's not life vs profit i.e. huge qualitative difference between the parties.

What do you suggest then? I'd perfectly fine with expediting eviction in case of arrears and damage. But

I was expecting you to at least dispute anything that i said instead of just saying no...

A very quick look and you can get the stats on rtb website..

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/images/uploads/Comms%20and%20Research/RTB_Disputes_Summary_2018_Q4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Fol20 wrote: »
    Ok this shall be fun.

I have passing knowledge of German market as I was considering to invest. The German market is very different to here. ... It’s also easier to evict.
    That's not true. If the tenant resists eviction, you have an equally lengthy process to sue the tenant and get him out, and the landlord might even have to pay for the moving company and the storage of the possessions of the tenant. You also have fewer reasons in Germany to evict a tenant. You can't, like in Ireland, evict him after 4 or 6 years (Part 4 tenancies). The possibility to evict a tenant if the landlord is needing the house for himself or a close relative is also restricted, as there are several exemptions, where the tenant can resist this eviction legally.
    There is also the possibility, that a tenant can reduce his rent if the landlord is not following his obligations (e.g. not repairing things in a timely manner).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mdebets wrote: »
    That's not true. If the tenant resists eviction, you have an equally lengthy process to sue the tenant and get him out, and the landlord might even have to pay for the moving company and the storage of the possessions of the tenant. You also have fewer reasons in Germany to evict a tenant. You can't, like in Ireland, evict him after 4 or 6 years (Part 4 tenancies). The possibility to evict a tenant if the landlord is needing the house for himself or a close relative is also restricted, as there are several exemptions, where the tenant can resist this eviction legally.
    There is also the possibility, that a tenant can reduce his rent if the landlord is not following his obligations (e.g. not repairing things in a timely manner).

Flipside of the coin is the landlord gets a set percentage of the value of the property tax free on an annual basis, for the purpose of maintaining the property. There is no obligation to supply receipts etc- its a straight 3% of the value of the property in taxfree rent per annum. Thereafter the taxation on rent (for a non-resident) is typically 15% (if someone has multiple units and crosses the threshold- it can reach 45%- however, for non-resident private investors- this accounts for less than 4% of rental units in Berlin).

Its a different regime with different pros and cons associated with it- but notably, rental income is not treated in the punitive manner that it is in Ireland- and the provision of a rental income credit (equal to 3% of the value of the property)- means there is an incentive to maintain and enhance the property where possible- whereas there is an active disincentive (from a tax perspective) for a private landlord to conduct commensurate works in Ireland.

Its a different system- which is also badly malfunctioning- but not for the same reasons that the Irish system is malfunctioning.

mdebets wrote: »

yes it takes time, but the process is more rigid in nature where as in Ireland your really at the whim of a tenant if they will leave peacefully and follow whatever the legal order might be.

Its a different system- which is also badly malfunctioning- but not for the same reasons that the Irish system is malfunctioning.
    If you call German system malfunctioning then there Irish one is RIP :)

Advertisement