Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaupunkt Full HD Smart TV Blaupunkt

Options
  • 01-08-2020 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Blaupunkt Full HD Smart TV 40"
    Blaupunkt in lidl was 249 now 226e.
    Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Sounds a good price, have you got the full spec?

These guys used to make really good car stereos, years ago - I would expect the quality of their TVs to be good, although I've never seen one.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

garrettod wrote: »

These guys used to make really good car stereos, years ago - I would expect the quality of their TVs to be good, although I've never seen one.

Prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Kilboor wrote: »
    Prepare to be disappointed.

That's a shame, if true - how come?

Thanks,

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

garrettod wrote: »

Wasn't the brand name sold? I think I read that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Not many original brands that still make their own TVs. Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung..TCL is new but good reputation these days.

I'd be picking from those brands for a bit extra op

https://powercity.ie/groups/10/13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

These are also €229 in Currys but are out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Could one of these be used as a computer monitor?

Could one of these be used as a computer monitor?

They have Miracast, so I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭con747

Blaupunkt Full HD Smart TV 40"
    Blaupunkt in lidl was 249 now 226e.
    Any good?

This is a quote from an article about them. "Blaupunkt televisions have suddenly started to appear on the shelves of retailers who would like you to believe that they share the same German provenance as the car audio units bearing that name. In fact, they come from a Slovakian company which also makes televisions with Akai, Alba, Bush, Goodmans, Sharp, Technika and Tevion badges"

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They have Miracast, so I think so.

What does Miracast mean?

I was hoping to connect a MacBook with a hdmi cable.

• Advertisement

If you have a hdmi connection on your MacBook then it’s def possible. Miracast is wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Make sure you put the receipt in a safe place so you can find it when it needs repairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Anytime I here of Blaupunkt it reminds me of RoboCop;)

https://youtu.be/OtHqqkpfmMU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gussieg

My last two Telly's before this one (lg) were blaupunkt. One 49 inch and one smart 43. They both had brilliant full HD pictures for the price I couldn't fault them123. And in fact the picture was uniformly better than this supposed 4k. Got them in tesco. Sound was great too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ALL the brand names have been sold. With a few exceptions.

Top of the range TV's from Japanese/Korean brands might be made by those companies.

Everything else is Chinese, Polish (UMC) or Turkish (Vestel)
    Turkey is in the EU customs union so no tariffs.

http://www.umc-poland.com/about-umc/ Blaupunkt and Sharp are UMC

Other UMC brands http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/oneforall.php
    Advent, Akai, Alba, Blaupunkt, Bush, e-motion, Eternity, Ferguson, Goodmans, Hitachi, JMB, Logik, Logix, Microspot, Orion, Sharp, Swisstec, TEAC, Technika, Tesco, Tevion, UMC, Vision Plus, Visual Innovations and Watson TV's

Vestel brands include https://vestelinternational.com/en/ourbrands/
    AGORA. ATLANTIC. CELCUS. CLAYTON. DIGIHOME. DIKOM. ELECTRA. FINLUX. GRAETZ. ICECOOL. LAURUS. LINETECH. LUXOR. REGAL etc.

And that's not counting the stuff that's OEM'd
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-tvs-a-vestel.2019864/
    Brand names such as Toshiba, Hitachi, Sharp, JVC, Bush, Alba and now, shock horror, Panasonic are using Vestel totally, partially or in the case of Panasonic just to service their lowest ranges. Others like TPV of Poland, a Chinese company, have been seen to produce for Philips, Toshiba, Sharp and Bush and also under their own brand name of AOC. For the UK Vestel is by far the largest player. Vestel also produce for a plethora of other brand names and own brands from chain outlets and supermarkets.
    Because the Technica you buy from Tesco is a Vestel one year you cannot rely on the Technica you buy the next year being a Vestel, it could be Chinese.

At this stage it's down to who makes the panel, as you are going to need external speakers on a cheapo TV, and as we are in Ireland you are going to be doing most of your viewing through a set box, SKY, Virgin, Freesat or Youtube or Netflix.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What does Miracast mean?

I was hoping to connect a MacBook with a hdmi cable.
    I defy you to buy a new large TV that doesn't have HDMI :p

Plan B is HDMI to VGA
    Aliexpress do them for a fiver.

Miracast is one of several Wireless displays.
    YMMV like if you have a Intel generation 2 chip and upgrade to Windows 10 and it don't work no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Anytime I here of Blaupunkt it reminds me of RoboCop;)

https://youtu.be/OtHqqkpfmMU

I remember my dad's old vw use to have a blaupunkt.

Now I only think of McGrubber
    https://youtu.be/Pb33LjJ9Uw4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

226 is a reasonable price but you are getting exactly what you pay for - a really low-end, cheaply made TV.

That doesn't mean the picture quality or functionality isn't OK, but it is what it is and these TVs are far more likely to fail over time.

Not sure if same model but Currys have 40" Blaupunkt for €219 at its normal price.

edit: Curry's one is non-Smart, so the Lidl one is way better value at the same price. But still, basic point remains.

They are the sort of TV I would consider for a room that isn't used much or something like that, but not as a main TV that gets good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

gussieg wrote: »
    My last two Telly's before this one (lg) were blaupunkt. One 49 inch and one smart 43. They both had brilliant full HD pictures for the price I couldn't fault them123. And in fact the picture was uniformly better than this supposed 4k. Got them in tesco. Sound was great too.

Your last two telly's? How long did they last?

TV's have become disposable sadly,three or four years they're either broken,battered or out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yellow Dog wrote: »

I love that these tv's all have "Eco Friendly Mode", considering they are now nearly throwaway. Not an eco warrier myself, but think there should be a hefty tax on TV's etc to encourage them to be used for a reasonable period of time, the prices are now getting to the point of people changing tv's on a whim!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I bought a small Blaupunkt from Tesco about 4 yes ago. It was for a room that was rarely used. It lasted about 3 yrs - only used about once a month.

Its put me off buying Blaupunkt. Despite me being aware that it may have been a one off abberation.

I've several LGs knocking about the house too. They're grand, although I did lose the satellite tuner functionality on 2 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ALL the brand names have been sold. With a few exceptions.

Top of the range TV's from Japanese/Korean brands might be made by those companies.

Everything else is Chinese, Polish (UMC) or Turkish (Vestel)
    Turkey is in the EU customs union so no tariffs.

http://www.umc-poland.com/about-umc/ Blaupunkt and Sharp are UMC

Other UMC brands http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/oneforall.php
    Advent, Akai, Alba, Blaupunkt, Bush, e-motion, Eternity, Ferguson, Goodmans, Hitachi, JMB, Logik, Logix, Microspot, Orion, Sharp, Swisstec, TEAC, Technika, Tesco, Tevion, UMC, Vision Plus, Visual Innovations and Watson TV's

Vestel brands include https://vestelinternational.com/en/ourbrands/
    AGORA. ATLANTIC. CELCUS. CLAYTON. DIGIHOME. DIKOM. ELECTRA. FINLUX. GRAETZ. ICECOOL. LAURUS. LINETECH. LUXOR. REGAL etc.

And that's not counting the stuff that's OEM'd
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-tvs-a-vestel.2019864/

At this stage it's down to who makes the panel, as you are going to need external speakers on a cheapo TV, and as we are in Ireland you are going to be doing most of your viewing through a set box, SKY, Virgin, Freesat or Youtube or Netflix.

We bought a Walker TV about three or four years ago, and that's another one on the Vestel list. It was identical to a Nordmende, which was also made by Vestel. I don't know how many you have to order just to have your name on them :D

The main reason for our buying the TV was that it had a satellite tuner inside as well as digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gussieg

They're still going as far as I know. I moved house twice and the Telly's went to friends and family nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Bought one of these a few years ago because they were dirt cheap compared to others that were available. Always regretted not wating, saving and doing some research on a proper tv. The sound is absolutely diabolical, the inbuilt tuner is hopeless as it constantly scrambles the picture (other TV's in the house connected to the same source do not have this problem) and the picture is terrible quality. In short, buy cheap, repent at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

I have 2 of the 55" versions of this TV - both are around 15 months old and haven't had an issue with either. I think they're both great to be honest...

The only thing which is crap is the browser function on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think if I bought a tv and it only lasted 3 years Id be pretty pissed off. My current one is a Sony Bravia bought in 2009 so at 11 years of age it owes me nothing. Colours on the screen have gone a bit patchy in the last few weeks so it needs replacing soon.

Lots mention LG as a good brand. Could you expect to get 8-10 years out of them?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Think if I bought a tv and it only lasted 3 years Id be pretty pissed off. My current one is a Sony Bravia bought in 2009 so at 11 years of age it owes me nothing. Colours on the screen have gone a bit patchy in the last few weeks so it needs replacing soon.

Lots mention LG as a good brand. Could you expect to get 8-10 years out of them?

I got an LG smart tv 8 years ago and yeah it’s still going grand. That’s not to say they all will, or that all cheap ones will fail though, or that LED TVs are as well built today as they were 8 years ago. That was an €800 43 inch tv.

The main difference you’ll see with the cheap ones is that the menus often aren’t as good, and the remotes can be counterintuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers 8 years sounds pretty good, its what Id hope to get out of a tv. Remotes dont bother me so much as Id be using the one for the Sky box anyway.

Is there a certain price level you have to spend to get something that is going to be long lasting. My Sony Bravia was bought in 2009 for 499 but it had been hovering between 600 and 700 until a decent price drop to 500 for the January sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'm running a 12 year old Sony Bravia, hasn't missed a beat. Be dissappointed if don't get another few years out of it.

Back in the 80s routinely got 15 or 20 years out of a Toshiba and a JVC and an Irish assembled Normende. Best of the lot was the JVC that was another great brand at the time.

Advertisement