Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug driving charge

Options
  • 30-09-2020 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,,I smoked a joint night before i woke up sobar not stoned then i went boxing training that morning coming home got tested and stopped by the gaurds got my results back today I was 4 times over the limit don't understand that when I wasn't stoned anyone have experience with this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Iirc in saliva it stays in your system for up to 72 hours

I believe blood is about 6 hours??

You'll be fit out for boxing at least with the 2 years minimum walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Were you pulled over or caught at a check point, makes a difference because if they pulled you over they can argue it affected your driving. Best thing to do is take this head on and talk to a solicitor - a good one who can get you off on a loop hole or lessen the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Irishjjj123

Haha fit out for boxing true need car for daughter is the worry and work,,,I breaked harsly to change direction why they pulled me over that be stupid reason to say I was not fit to drive I wasn't stoned was after having nice sleep and jogged 5km then back to the boxing club it's madness if you ask me

Must be more then 6 hours for bloods mate

Spacshopper would they need that on dash cam ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Get yourself a good solicitor. And maybe it's time to reconsider your dope smoking. You sound like a drinker who still thinks they can drive safely after a feed of pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Haha fit out for boxing true need car for daughter is the worry and work,,,I breaked harsly to change direction why they pulled me over that be stupid reason to say I was not fit to drive I wasn't stoned was after having nice sleep and jogged 5km then back to the boxing club it's madness if you ask me

Unfortunately for you, they're not asking you. It's the law and you've been found to have broken it.

Do the smart thing. Talk to a solicitor, take the rap, hope they don't throw the book at you, and if you have a daughter and other responsibilities, maybe think of that before sparking up and driving soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Did you smoke all your punctuation marks too?

Tork I don't drink ,,,only used cannabis 2 get good night sleep you don't wake up stoned so your well able to drive a car next morning alcohol is a different story you could wake up still drunk.

So why was it still in your system when the guards stopped you?

• Advertisement

Don't know mate it's bloods seems if you give up weed for a week your still over the limit so there ruining people lifes there not even high driving getting banned ridiculous ask me

Maybe you should bear that in mind next time you intend driving. Talk to a solicitor. Nobody here can help you.

Yeah I know mate just asking did anyone have experience getting done for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Anyway, you broke the law (a very serious one at that) and case/evidence is strong against you. You need to make an appointment with a solicitor who may be able to advise you more.

In future, do don't do drugs if the potential legal ramifications have such a massive impact on your personal life.

I'd take it on the head I was stoned and driving putting
    People lifes at risk off course but I was fresh and sobar Driving while sobar and not high shouldn't be breaking the law if ya ask me ,,

People lifes at risk off course but I was fresh and sobar Driving while sobar and not high shouldn't not be breaking the law if ya ask me ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

People lifes at risk off course but I was fresh and sobar Driving while sobar and not high shouldn't be breaking the law if ya ask me ,,

It is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

If you braked too harshly to change direction then you were driving dangerously. So they could hit you with two charges now.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Was it a joint of hash or grass ?

Weed only smoked it lately before bed to sleep had trouble sleeping didn't want get hooked off docter tablets so tried to sleep worked I don't go around stoned all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You broke suddenly to change direction. Did you miss your turn? Were you driving in the wrong direction to where you wanted to go? It doesn't sound like you were all that clear headed to me. How often do you smoke? How loaded was the joint? Was it new stuff that you hadn't tested?

It might be time to look at how much and how often you smoke and if it's something you are really able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I don't think you need anymore advice or the services of a solicitor. You should just go and argue with the judge. He'll definitely see it from your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

There's a lot of people being a little harsh here.

The problem with cannabis being illegal is that people are unclear what the law is regarding blood levels and if they're even rational. On the otherhand, it is a mind altering drug and like alcohol, it definitely can impair you from the night before.

It's impossible to say if you were impaired OP but there isn't a whole lot you can do on this one. Contact a good solicitor and go from there.

Broke harshly to change lane I meant sorry just before a round about if you get me

I smoke one or 2 before bed is all I wakes up sobar not high like 99 percent off people tbh

Broke harshly to change lane I meant sorry just before a round about if you get me

I'm not trying to get st you at all. It should be clear from my post that I don't thinking smoking a joint is a heinous crime. But, you know we never know what we're buying and 'joint' is relative. It really does depend on how loaded the joint is and how strong the weed is. You might put in one what someone else would spread between 3. Maybe your driving wasn't affected by the evening's prior smoke but the fact is its illegal. I and many others dont think it should be but that's a story for another thread. And you were caught 'over the limit" for something a buyer has no control of the potency of. Your best bet really is to seek out a good solicitor and I honestly don't think it would do you any harm to review your use. What was water off a ducks back in our youth won't stay that way as we get older. I'm not getting at you at all here, I've just been round this block a few times with different folk.

I know your not trying get at me,,it's just loose me licence me job is gone and effect me daughter when I wasn't high while driving what is annoying me

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I smoke one or 2 before bed is all I wakes up sobar not high like 99 percent off people tbh

Is it one or 2 that you smoke? Big difference between both. One doubles the amount of THC in your system. A typical joint will have anywhere between 6% - 10% THC in it, which takes 2-22 hours to clear your system. If you smoked 2, your THC level will be higher. You were tested, and 4 times over the limit, more than 6 hours later. This means that you were either smoking very strong stuff, smoked more than 2 joints or was less than a few hours since your last joint.

I know your not trying get at me,,it's just loose me licence me job is gone and effect me daughter when I wasn't high while driving what is annoying me

Get yourself a good solicitor with experience in these charges and hopefully that scenario won't come to pass. That's your only hope here. And look, just because you're not stoned doesn't mean you are fit to drive. You're using daily and that does have an effact on your ability to drive, whether you want to admit it or not. For your own sake knock it on the head for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Hi Irishjjj123

Thank you for your post. Personal Issues is a forum where posters come for advice on something that is troubling them. As you are not seeking advice, I'm going to close the thread.

You might take on board what others have suggested however, and seek legal advice on the matter.

Best of luck

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement