Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching from ADSL to VDSL

• 28-09-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

Hey all so Im half way through my Vodafone contract which is currently on copper broadband and I average speeds of around 8-12Mb Up / 0.6 down. Ping fluctuates from anything from 40Ms up to 90Ms+ at times.

I can switch over to FTTC but speed checkers show me at "max" 15Mb/3Mb, while vodafone tell me FTTC speeds of "max" 12Mb.

So speed wise it looks like there will be no change. My main question is, could Ping increase any bit OR would two devices using the connection at once improve at all? I suffer instant lag if im online and someone uses Youtube etc.

Im just looking to see if there is any benefit of switching to a new contract for another 12 months on FTTC, or should I just wait and get Lighnet wireless in 6 months time.

Could the connection actually be worse than what I have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats 50/50. Line could be fine, could be pushing it and unstable. Only way to know would be to try.

Unfortunately 12_1 is the profile so your upload (0.6) won't improve much. If you got 15_3 thatd make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

ED E wrote: »
    Thats 50/50. Line could be fine, could be pushing it and unstable. Only way to know would be to try.

Unfortunately 12_1 is the profile so your upload (0.6) won't improve much. If you got 15_3 thatd make a huge difference.

Cheers. If airwire chekcer is telling me 15/3 and Vodafone are telling me 12, who would be the more accurate? Or can different companies provide different profile speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its probably sales being reasonable and not promising whats often not attainable at install.

Advertisement