Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should I live?

Options
  • 23-09-2020 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Possible returning emigrant here, living in California 25 years currently with 200/20 via cable provider. If I was to move back to Ireland, and can live anywhere (self-employed), but need that broadband performance at a minimum - where should I live? Rural counties not too far from water good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

maxplanar wrote: »
    Possible returning emigrant here, living in California 25 years currently with 200/20 via cable provider. If I was to move back to Ireland, and can live anywhere (self-employed), but need that broadband performance at a minimum - where should I live? Rural counties not too far from water good.
    Pick any of the rural areas where Eir already have FTTH. More than 300,000 homes to choose from in rural areas. The same 1Gbps speeds are available in all of these areas, and actually exceed the speeds generally available to users on coax cable and FTTC networks in cities and larger towns. The urban FTTH rollout is slower, because urban areas generally already have FTTC. Property prices are much lower in the rural areas. Just make sure you have reliable water and sewerage. www.fibrerollout.ie identifies the areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

If you plan to buy somewhere rural make sure you don't have a long lane, otherwise you'll be waiting for the National Broadband Plan to connect you even if Eir already cover the area with FTTH. I'm in that situation, all my neighbours can connect but I can't as I have a long lane. Someone may correct me on this but I think it is 200 metres max.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maxplanar

This is a good start, thanks peeps.

EDIT: One additional question - is that 1Gbps symmetric, i.e. up/down?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The capacity on the physical fibre is symmetric. However, the existing consumer FTTH products are not symmetric. 1Gbps down/100Mbps up. Perhaps other profiles will be offered in the future? There are symmetric business products available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 maxplanar

Fluppen wrote: »
    If you plan to buy somewhere rural make sure you don't have a long lane, otherwise you'll be waiting for the National Broadband Plan to connect you even if Eir already cover the area with FTTH. I'm in that situation, all my neighbours can connect but I can't as I have a long lane. Someone may correct me on this but I think it is 200 metres max.

Good to know, thanks a million for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The capacity on the physical fibre is symmetric. However, the existing consumer FTTH products are not symmetric. 1Gbps down/100Mbps up. Perhaps other profiles will be offered in the future? There are symmetric business products available.

That's not accurate to my knowledge. 2400Mb down 1200 Mb up for the OLT port, doubt they'll ever offer more than 500Mb up to any one sub. More when 10GPON launches but not symmetric.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

It depoends if you go with Rural fiber of Siro in Urben areas.

If you are looking at properties you can ccross reference the with the fiber map https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ or put the post code in here https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Examples from a good provider:

Rural broadband: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ftth

Urban Siro: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro

Hi folks, there were survey vans zipping around our area at lethal speeds in march and the NBI website indicated the same, I can't remember exactly what it said but I remember being exited by it. I just checked now to see if there were any updates and my address has gone back to 'pending survey'. Have things been slowed down or put on hold? Should I stop hoping that I might get better broadband in the next few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Fluppen wrote: »
    Hi folks, there were survey vans zipping around our area at lethal speeds in march and the NBI website indicated the same, I can't remember exactly what it said but I remember being exited by it. I just checked now to see if there were any updates and my address has gone back to 'pending survey'. Have things been slowed down or put on hold? Should I stop hoping that I might get better broadband in the next few years?

You need to post in the NBI thread for that.

Haha, yep sorry. I thought I did. I was just going through that thread and wondering why my post wasn't showing up. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement