Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made job ! Gutter excess

Options
  • 05-07-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of DIY advice ---

I have covered over an area at side of the house.

I was thinking I have another 8 ft x 8 ft area between the side gate and the start of this area.

A pillar prevented me running the gutter I have the full lenght-

I don't want to start running down pipes and angles etc. If I ran a length of gutter the 8 feet with two stop ends that would do --'

I have an area nearby that would do as a run off-

Ideally , I now it's not best practice -- if I could drill a hole in the gutter and put a waste pipe ( or ideally a hose) with a suitable outdoor fitting, I could run it neatly to a drain. / area , nearby .

Anyone ever hook up anything like that!!!
    (Any suggestions appreciated)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've seen something similar down on a small greenhose- garden hose connected to guttering and run to a water butt. Biggest problem is keeping dirt and leaves from blocking the hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

why not put a proper outlet and downpipe

why not go around the pillar

have you a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I've seen something similar down on a small greenhose- garden hose connected to guttering and run to a water butt. Biggest problem is keeping dirt and leaves from blocking the hose.

Oh of , course didn't think of that. I might be able to get around that maybe If I get a gutter cover that keeps out leaves and debris.

Any idea of what fitting was used ? Just back from woodies looking at waste pipes and similar ...the fitting would have to be flush with bottom of gutter .to allow water flow out , the gutter will be slightly angled to have the water run freely along ..didn't spot anything suitable, tho

why not put a proper outlet and downpipe

why not go around the pillar

have you a pic

I have an end on it now, the pillar was awkward it's done now, fitted , fixed with self adhesive felt on wall and roof , ideally running around the pillar as you suggest , I decided against it at the start, thks

you can get outlets that you dill a hole with ahole saw and screw pieces from both sides

• Advertisement

you can get outlets that you dill a hole with ahole saw and screw pieces from both sides

Brilliant- I'll get looking again , could not anything remotely like that today in woodies, would that be to attach , maybe a garden hose?

If you ever came across the name or link to this screw pieces , please let me know ,

Thank you
    Paddy

Brilliant- I'll get looking again , could not anything remotely like that today in woodies, would that be to attach , maybe a garden hose?

If you ever came across the name or link to this screw pieces , please let me know ,

Thank you
    Paddy

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Uni-Fit-Gutter-Outlet-Universal-Spigot-for-Round-or-Square-Downpipe-Hunter-R400-/230627284068

most builders providers should have them. my local here in thurles has them. ronaynes hardware.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Uni-Fit-Gutter-Outlet-Universal-Spigot-for-Round-or-Square-Downpipe-Hunter-R400-/230627284068

most builders providers should have them. my local here in thurles has them. ronaynes hardware.

Fair play thanks. That will fit flush in the gutter and then you can attach a hose? That's brilliant thank you very much .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have you got a photo of the covered over area? I was following your previous thread, curious as to how it turned out.

loyatemu wrote: »
    have you got a photo of the covered over area? I was following your previous thread, curious as to how it turned out.

Yup I'll do that when I throw the perspex up !
    Having a lit of difficulty getting sheets cut.
    2 x 6 feet standard, mine require around 2x 5 feet ... tries to cut before with grinder - burn marks.. jig saw couldn't cut without breaking...
    I'll finish it soon hopefully and put up pic

• Advertisement

Yup I'll do that when I throw the perspex up !
    Having a lit of difficulty getting sheets cut.
    2 x 6 feet standard, mine require around 2x 5 feet ... tries to cut before with grinder - burn marks.. jig saw couldn't cut without breaking...
    I'll finish it soon hopefully and put up pic

Ran gutter under lip of wall at a slight fall...the pillars were a bit of an issue up near gate I'll get perspex in around it tho , if I can get tbar spigot and keep leaves etc out with a gutter cover will be fine , just to store bikes etc

Could you send me pic of how you did this please?

Advertisement