Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best nuts and bolts for swing/slide frame

Options
  • 29-06-2020 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I'm planning to make a swing/slide frame from 4 by 2. I want to hold it together with nuts and bolts.
    What would be the best ones for the job ? Also I don't want any sharp edges so while the bolt head side will be fine what's the safest/tidiest way for the side where the nut is.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You'll want locking dome nuts I'd imagine. And I thing you can get plastic covers to make them safer.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

What would be the best ones for the job ?

Galvanised carriage bolt would be my recommendation. The square section of shank at the head of the bolt bites into the timber, stops it from twisting.
    Also I don't want any sharp edges so while the bolt head side will be fine what's the safest/tidiest way for the side where the nut is.

If you're just worried about sharp burrs, tighten up the nut, cut the remaining bolt close to the nut and run a file over it. If you really want the nut out of the way and if the timber is thick enough to recess the nut, widen the bolthole by the depth of the nut with a forstner bit wide enough to take a socket (and the washer you will be putting on the bolt. When the nut is tightened, it will be hidden in the hole below the surface of the timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

I'm planning to make a swing/slide frame from 4 by 2. I want to hold it together with nuts and bolts.
    What would be the best ones for the job ? Also I don't want any sharp edges so while the bolt head side will be fine what's the safest/tidiest way for the side where the nut is.
    Thanks in advance.

If it's timber 'sleeper screws' the best. Less things protruding the better. 2 of these at each fixing point. Counter sink them with a 'hinge drill bit' Then get plastic plug to cover head of the screw where you've just used the hinge drill bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Thanks for the replies.Would M10 bolts be good enough for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Thanks for the replies.Would M10 bolts be good enough for the job

https://youtu.be/KzMfeQyY5xM

• Advertisement
Advertisement