Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Advice

Options
  • 27-06-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in getting CCTV installed at my house to keep an eye on things but I'm not familiar with what is required to have effective CCTV. I was quoted €1,300 for a 4 camera Hikvision Turbo system, 1TB DVR, monitor and mouse installed.

I'm not sure what model cameras they are but I would like some advice on what a good CCTV setup is and what I could expect out of it.

There has been a number of thefts in the area, possibly targeted, recently a car was spotted driving around and taking pictures of houses (someone's doorbell got their reg) and a few people have had someone attempt to open their back door.

We have a doorbell camera but our front door is recessed which limits the view to just one car so the security aspect of that is limited. There's a path outside our house as we have on street parking so zones would be important.

Outside of being a deterrent and helping keep an eye on things, is there anything else I could get out of a traditional CCTV system? Two Nest cameras would be a cheaper option for being a deterrent and keeping an eye on things. (WiFi/network risks aside)

I'm not sure if I would need 4 cameras. I was thinking one wide on the front with a second focused on the cars and one overlooking the back garden.

We're getting a HKC alarm so the cameras would integrate nicely with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭madpaddy88

I recently bought a swann cctv system off screw fix 4 camera's and 1tb hard drive system can be connected to the Internet so you have access to the cameras from your phone it cost 300euro took about 5 hours if even that to install and run the wires through the house very good system so far

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

FWIW, Hikvision (and others) are on a US trade blacklist since 2019 and they claim they are owned or backed by Chinese military

ibtimes.sg/new-sanctions-soon-huawei-19-other-chinese-firms-owned-backed-by-chinese-military-says-us-47433

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

XMG wrote: »
    FWIW, Hikvision (and others) are on a US trade blacklist since 2019 and they claim they are owned or backed by Chinese military

ibtimes.sg/new-sanctions-soon-huawei-19-other-chinese-firms-owned-backed-by-chinese-military-says-us-47433

Yeah I'm not really interested in that stuff, just looking for advice on a propert CCTV setup...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not really interested in that stuff, just looking for advice on a propert CCTV setup...

Speaking as a professional, these goings on in US are more related to politics and shall we say fantasy stuff, best for that to be discussed in the relevant forum.

So you have a quote for Hikvision equipment, you are getting incredible quality for your money there and that also applies to Dahua also.

I have seen Swann equipment but I use Hikvision equipment.

In my experience, go with the 4, better to be shot for a sheep here than a lamb. I find that when 1 or 2 cameras are installed, people become nervous about the areas not seen by those 1 or 2.

I am wondering why they specified a 1 TB HDD ? You are best off with a 4 TB, that way you can max the quality of the recorded image and indeed the frame rate of same.

And you are correct the Hikvision machine will indeed integrate with your HKC Alarm system.

kub wrote: »
    Speaking as a professional, these goings on in US are more related to politics and shall we say fantasy stuff, best for that to be discussed in the relevant forum.

So you have a quote for Hikvision equipment, you are getting incredible quality for your money there and that also applies to Dahua also.

I have seen Swann equipment but I use Hikvision equipment.

In my experience, go with the 4, better to be shot for a sheep here than a lamb. I find that when 1 or 2 cameras are installed, people become nervous about the areas not seen by those 1 or 2.

I am wondering why they specified a 1 TB HDD ? You are best off with a 4 TB, that way you can max the quality of the recorded image and indeed the frame rate of same.

And you are correct the Hikvision machine will indeed integrate with your HKC Alarm system.

I'm not sure what cameras are being supplied other than it's the Turbo system, could just be 2MP. I'm wondering is it worth having a camera on the front for the whole road and a second focused on the cars then one on the side and one on the rear or a second on the rear on the back door, don't know if that angle would catch a face.

It's not POE as far as I can tell, if it's analog? I don't want to regret it down the line, hopefully it will do the job for years?

I see 2MP Hikvision Turbo kits being sold for €400-500 with 1TB etc, so I'm not sure if the quote of €1,300 is good or not without knowing the cameras. I'd like a decent setup, I just want to make sure I'm not spending unnecessarily, and if I have to spend extra for 4TB etc I will.

I'd like to gain a bit of knowledge on what cameras would be ideal before asking for options on different cameras etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

madpaddy88 wrote: »
    I recently bought a swann cctv system off screw fix 4 camera's and 1tb hard drive system can be connected to the Internet so you have access to the cameras from your phone it cost 300euro took about 5 hours if even that to install and run the wires through the house very good system so far

I bought Swann from Curry's. 2 cameras white and the 1TB hard drive etc. 180 euro. Installed them myself easily. Great picture but the app is terrible. Went online and researched the app ( I know I'm an idiot, did the research after buying and installing) and apparently there are problems with their new app accross the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Get 4 real cameras, (about €30 each or less)

Put them in appropriate places.

Job done.

There are so many houses without cameras / decent alarms, those looking to burgle will not take the chance if they see cameras.

Works a treat. No gdpr issues either.

Had a problem with someone putting their rubbish into bins at work, put up an old camera pointing at the bins along with cctv notice and rubbish not put in bin anymore.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Get 4 real cameras, (about €30 each or less)

Put them in appropriate places.

Job done.

There are so many houses without cameras / decent alarms, those looking to burgle will not take the chance if they see cameras.

Works a treat. No gdpr issues either.

Had a problem with someone putting their rubbish into bins at work, put up an old camera pointing at the bins along with cctv notice and rubbish not put in bin anymore.

Just curious as I recently put cameras up around my house. What are the issues with GDPR?

I'm not sure what cameras are being supplied other than it's the Turbo system, could just be 2MP. I'm wondering is it worth having a camera on the front for the whole road and a second focused on the cars then one on the side and one on the rear or a second on the rear on the back door, don't know if that angle would catch a face.

It's not POE as far as I can tell, if it's analog? I don't want to regret it down the line, hopefully it will do the job for years?

I see 2MP Hikvision Turbo kits being sold for €400-500 with 1TB etc, so I'm not sure if the quote of €1,300 is good or not without knowing the cameras. I'd like a decent setup, I just want to make sure I'm not spending unnecessarily, and if I have to spend extra for 4TB etc I will.

I'd like to gain a bit of knowledge on what cameras would be ideal before asking for options on different cameras etc.

The cameras are more than likely Hikvision as well, 2 MP will give you an excellent quality image even if it is a turbo camera.

If it is faces that you are attempting to get then ideally the cameras should be fitted at a max height of 8 feet from ground level with a gentle horizontal field of view.
    But please also bare in mind, scrotes by and large wear hoodies and keep their heads down when they notice CCTV cameras so getting facial footage can be very difficult to obtain.
    Usually the Hikvision kits that are sold to the general public are previous stock and not the latest technology.

Are you confident with the company that gave you that quote, have you shopped around?

Just curious as I recently put cameras up around my house. What are the issues with GDPR?

Just a taste, google is your friend.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/video-recording

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for that. Seems there is no issue as it falls under the "personal or household exemption"

The cameras are more than likely Hikvision as well, 2 MP will give you an excellent quality image even if it is a turbo camera.

If it is faces that you are attempting to get then ideally the cameras should be fitted at a max height of 8 feet from ground level with a gentle horizontal field of view.
    But please also bare in mind, scrotes by and large wear hoodies and keep their heads down when they notice CCTV cameras so getting facial footage can be very difficult to obtain.
    Usually the Hikvision kits that are sold to the general public are previous stock and not the latest technology.

Are you confident with the company that gave you that quote, have you shopped around?

I haven't shopped around yet, just got a quote as they're doing my alarm and I saw the do CCTV also. I know their price on the alarm is good, they're also the only company who got back to me. Nobody wants to answer their phones or emails at the moment!

I'll price around during the week. I just know Hikvision are good and they tie in with the HKC alarm so need to do my research so I know what they're quoting me for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cheers, thanks for that. Seems there is no issue as it falls under the "personal or household exemption"

No issues really except you avoid having to answer the usual nosey neighbor types that use the phrase gdpr on anything and everything.

Got an estimate of €1,600 for 4x 4MP ColorVu cameras although it will be slightly less as not all need to be ColorVu.

Not sure what way to go. On the one hand I'm happy to spend a bit extra to go for a more up to date POE system and higher resolution cameras but on the other hand Turbo HD would be fine as an entry level system and you're not going to catch faces, the main thing is to be a deterrent and also keep an eye on things while at work. Both systems cover that.

My other goal is to keep an eye on my car due to on street parking. A second 4mm front camera with either system would cover that too, although IR on the Turbo HD system would reflect off any reg plate. ColorVu wouldn't have that issue.

Decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

What is turbo HD ?
    Could you post a link to a turbo HD camera please.

Got an estimate of €1,600 for 4x 4MP ColorVu cameras although it will be slightly less as not all need to be ColorVu.

I guess this was excluding VAT or something but 2x 4MP ColorVu cameras, 2x 4MP cameras, 2TB and an 8CH NVR is €1,950, way off what I was hoping to pay...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Seems very expensive. A colorvu can be had for 170 euro. A decent nvr with poe for less than 400. Cat 6 isn't excessive money and hard drives can be had for under 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Seems very expensive. A colorvu can be had for 170 euro. A decent nvr with poe for less than 400. Cat 6 isn't excessive money and hard drives can be had for under 100.

So if we say we go by your numbers

Cameras @ €170 x 4 = €680
    NVR @ €400 = €400
    CAT 6 @ €130 = €130
    Labour @ €25ph x 9hrs = €225 (rate depends on company (i know im low) or person (nixer) installing the system so perhaps i am too low)

Total = €1,435

That excludes the cost to travel to the job, insurance, consumables etc....

The price doesnt seem all too bad to me given what is being installed. The house type/layout is also a factor.

Breakdown of cost is:

630 installation (Cat5 spec)
    105 2TB HDD
    36 Dome base X3
    58 TP Link for router
    247 8ch NVR
    178 4MP ColorVu bullet X2
    140 Mini dome x2
    Plus VAT.

House is a 2 story end of terrace. I wouldn't have bothered with a quote if I knew it was €1,950 for 2 when they said you'd get 4 for €1,600, they know I was looking at the Turbo HD for €1,300.

Ideally I want 2.8mm and 4mm on the front. If I could even get one camera above 2MP that would be nice. I'll go back to the first company I spoke to and see what I can get for €1,500-1,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Breakdown of cost is:

630 installation (Cat5 spec)
    105 2TB HDD
    36 Dome base X3
    58 TP Link for router
    247 8ch NVR
    178 4MP ColorVu bullet X2
    140 Mini dome x2
    Plus VAT.

House is a 2 story end of terrace. I wouldn't have bothered with a quote if I knew it was €1,950 for 2 when they said you'd get 4 for €1,600, they know I was looking at the Turbo HD for €1,300.

Ideally I want 2.8mm and 4mm on the front. If I could even get one camera above 2MP that would be nice. I'll go back to the first company I spoke to and see what I can get for €1,500-1,600.

Turbo cameras are good and if you can get them at a cheaper price then it would not be a bad move. I dont see any point in getting 2mp cameras. They are becoming less and less available now anyway. 5mp seems to be becoming the norm now. They are getting cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 warrensworld2

Hi could someone please explain how hikvision and hkc integrate together ?

This has come to a dead end, two companies I've been talking to haven't responded to my emails. It's frustrating as the majority I've tried to get quotes from didn't reply at all, now these two aren't replying. It's difficult as you don't say "I'll have one CCTV please" and they just come out. You want to customise your setup a bit and see what options there is but apparently they aren't interested in the business. Maybe they just want easy business...

Advertisement