Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Pro

Options
  • 26-06-2020 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering does the iPad pro really replace the laptop? I was thinking about getting one but I'm not sure

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not unless every app you have has an iOS version, every printer, scanner etc. I have a printer that isn't WiFi and has no iOS software, so I can't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

leemaree wrote: »
    I was just wondering does the iPad pro really replace the laptop? I was thinking about getting one but I'm not sure

depends on what you use a laptop for.

My iPad pro while it does about 80% of what I need it is still a companion device to the MacBook Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

Yes it depends on what your 'workflow' is and how flexible you are. I work with around three or four apps open on my iMac, and it's not possible to replicate it exactly on in iPad Pro.

But I can do the same things if I am flexible enough to use other apps, etc. It depends on what you're used to.

The biggest annoyance about the iPad to me is the lack of a native WhatsApp client. I use that a lot for communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

The biggest annoyance about the iPad to me is the lack of a native WhatsApp client. I use that a lot for communications.

i use the web link and find it fine !! but i don't use Whatsapp all that often !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Considering 50% of my work is coding iOS apps, nope it doesn't replace the Mac for me and probably never will. If the majority of my work was productivity, web based, email, design, illustration I would have switched when the first iPad Pro came out 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

I think one thing to say about the iPad Pro is that I have no doubt that it's the way forward.

For too long computers have been led by what's possible and what's practical as opposed to how people think and work. Apple isn't perfect, and the iPad Pro has some distance to go, but it's a much much more human friendly device than any laptop or desktop machine is. I think in 50 years time, the machines we use will have a lot more in common with it, then with the desktop PC.

Things have been going this way for a while, but as someone who grew up with PCs and switched to Mac and then eventually took on the whole ecosystem, I can say that it's far more intuitive. Not without problems, not perfect, not got all the answers - but I was able to give my 78 year old mother an iPad and she taught herself how to use it in about a week. She now does all her computing on it, and a lot of her entertainment.

Just wanted to add that.

Advertisement