Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching job prospects

Options
  • 25-06-2020 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Sorry to ask a question that has been asked many times before! Currently on maternity leave & thought I might grasp the opportunity to do Hibernian & leave a stressful career which keeps me up at night.

I have two young children so job prospects are important. Obviously no one has a crystal ball but how good/bad are job prospects for primary teachers in Dublin.

Any help welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Can't comment on job prospects within Dublin, but I hope you don't think teaching is stress free.

Teaching practice is a nightmare. Finding schools, writing and uploading lesson plans, the actual teaching, making resources, waiting for an inspector to walk in every day.

There's also plenty of stress when you get a job (parents mostly!)

Its very much possible, I did but I didn't have any children of my own and a very flexible job.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Can't comment on job prospects within Dublin, but I hope you don't think teaching is stress free.

Teaching practice is a nightmare. Finding schools, writing and uploading lesson plans, the actual teaching, making resources, waiting for an inspector to walk in every day.

There's also plenty of stress when you get a job (parents mostly!)

Its very much possible, I did but I didn't have any children of my own and a very flexible job.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Very good points.

My post may have implied I think it’s an easy number, that isn’t the case at all. It’s more that I’m not suited to what I do currently. I think the thing I’d dread about teaching the most would be what the parents are saying about me on their What’s App group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your reply.

Very good points.

My post may have implied I think it’s an easy number, that isn’t the case at all. It’s more that I’m not suited to what I do currently. I think the thing I’d dread about teaching the most would be what the parents are saying about me on their What’s App group.

Couple of points - there usually is an uptick in people looking to go back to teaching after a recession so expect the numbers to increase over the next few years.
    The main requisite for teaching is a love of the job - it is a very difficult career choice if you dont enjoy it.
    Teaching can be very stressful and while everyone has come across difficult parents at some stage in their career its not only parents which is stressful.
    I did the Hibernia route many years ago with very small children - it was bloody hard. TP was exhausting. We always seemed to have a number of assessments due at the same time. You will need a good support system at home if you have children. Having said that I love teaching and am glad I did it.
    I had no problem with Hibernia and have never gotten any negative feedback from staff or principals.
    In relation to availability of teaching positions how long is a piece of string ? I’m permanent a good few years but I had to put in my time subbing day to day , mat leaves, temps etc. It is a hard graft and you need a thick skin. You really need to factor in that you could be potentially subbing for 3 , 4 possibly 5 years or more. That time is one of huge uncertainty possibly no summer pay , interviews that are gone already etc.
    So my overall advice is go for it if you’d love to teach but not really if you are unhappy where you are and want to change jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Within the parents whatsapp, there will be a sub-whatsapp where they give out about other parents 😅

There are also 2 Gaeltacht placements each lasting 2 weeks, not included in the cost of the course.

Having said thay, it was the best decision I ever made to go back and do the course. Again though, I didn't have children and had a very flexible job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Couple of points - there usually is an uptick in people looking to go back to teaching after a recession so expect the numbers to increase over the next few years.
    The main requisite for teaching is a love of the job - it is a very difficult career choice if you dont enjoy it.
    Teaching can be very stressful and while everyone has come across difficult parents at some stage in their career its not only parents which is stressful.
    I did the Hibernia route many years ago with very small children - it was bloody hard. TP was exhausting. We always seemed to have a number of assessments due at the same time. You will need a good support system at home if you have children. Having said that I love teaching and am glad I did it.
    I had no problem with Hibernia and have never gotten any negative feedback from staff or principals.
    In relation to availability of teaching positions how long is a piece of string ? I’m permanent a good few years but I had to put in my time subbing day to day , mat leaves, temps etc. It is a hard graft and you need a thick skin. You really need to factor in that you could be potentially subbing for 3 , 4 possibly 5 years or more. That time is one of huge uncertainty possibly no summer pay , interviews that are gone already etc.
    So my overall advice is go for it if you’d love to teach but not really if you are unhappy where you are and want to change jobs.

Thank you, I have a lot to think about. Do you mind me asking how did you manage childcare while you were subbing? I couldn't afford to pay a creche if my income was that unstable but then I wouldn't have childcare when I needed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Thank you, I have a lot to think about. Do you mind me asking how did you manage childcare while you were subbing? I couldn't afford to pay a creche if my income was that unstable but then I wouldn't have childcare when I needed it![

I had an absolute star of a mum who minded the smallies. there is no way I could have done it without her. You need to be really organised and ready to go at the drop of a hat for casual subbing. Once you get more regular subbing it’s easier to plan. You will also need good support re childcare when doing the course - onsites / gaeltacht/ online lectures and definitely for assignments and TP.

Re getting a job afterwards you may get lucky cos there is an element of luck - being in the right place at the right time and get a job easily enough but you need to be prepared in case you don’t because it’s quite rare.

ETA - if you really want to teach I would say go for it. I dont regret a minute of it but it can be a long hard slog.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are that worried about the parents’ WhatsApps, you may need to think again about teaching . You really can’t please them all and you need a thick skin.

Employment-wise, you will most likely be working as a sub. initially- could you cope financially with 2 days work one week or trying to sort childcare at the last minute in a school that rings you at 8.15 am?

Teaching is becoming more and more about paperwork , much of it pointless. You have the infamous Croke Park hours and meetings about your “Droichead” year to think about as well.

I love teaching , but I’m glad I’m not just starting out at this stage .

Advertisement