Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking - a Three phone thats not a Three phone

Options
  • 24-06-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Hi bit of a conundrum.

I bought an iPhone 6 a couple of years back from Carphone Warehouse. I'm a Three customer and have been for years byt CPW had a good deal so used them. Took out the insurance with them as well.

Phone died and the isnurance replaced the handset - all good

I've moved on with phones and went to get the 6 unlocked through Three and they tell me the IMEI isn't one of their phones so they can't do it ? It looks like CPW replaced the phone but now I'm stuck as I want to give it to my daughter whos on a different network.

Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi bit of a conundrum.

I bought an iPhone 6 a couple of years back from Carphone Warehouse. I'm a Three customer and have been for years byt CPW had a good deal so used them. Took out the insurance with them as well.

Phone died and the isnurance replaced the handset - all good

I've moved on with phones and went to get the 6 unlocked through Three and they tell me the IMEI isn't one of their phones so they can't do it ? It looks like CPW replaced the phone but now I'm stuck as I want to give it to my daughter whos on a different network.

Any ideas

Bad news I'm afraid. Two issues, firstly CPW supply phones for a number of networks but do not purchase directly from 3, this is why THE IMEI is not and won't be recognised by 3. Secondly you mentioned its an insurance replacement, this further complicates your problem. CPW also use a 3rd party insurance company. In any event if a phone is replaced by a 3rd party insurance company you have to update IMEI details with either your network or CPW, this facilitates an unlock request at a further date. Please note its CPW that have to request an unlock, 3 will not facilitate you. On a final note, if an iPhone is locked to the 3 network, no 3rd party unlocking shop will unlock it, so do not waste your money. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I advise go to the CPW branch you purchased phone, and have if possible proof of purchase and proof of insurance exchange.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Bad news I'm afraid. Two issues, firstly CPW supply phones for a number of networks but do not purchase directly from 3, this is why THE IMEI is not and won't be recognised by 3. Secondly you mentioned its an insurance replacement, this further complicates your problem. CPW also use a 3rd party insurance company. In any event if a phone is replaced by a 3rd party insurance company you have to update IMEI details with either your network or CPW, this facilitates an unlock request at a further date. Please note its CPW that have to request an unlock, 3 will not facilitate you. On a final note, if an iPhone is locked to the 3 network, no 3rd party unlocking shop will unlock it, so do not waste your money. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I advise go to the CPW branch you purchased phone, and have if possible proof of purchase and proof of insurance exchange.

Thanks for the quick and full reply - I kinda suspected it wouldn't be easy

Thanks for the quick and full reply - I kinda suspected it wouldn't be easy

Sadly I've had previous experience working in the industry and its been an issue for years whereby insurance companies and networks do not communicate re exchanged phones. It's worth a try at the CPW you purchased the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Have you considered that maybe the replacement phone isn't locked since it wasn't supplied from MSP stocks? Have you tested your daughter's SIM in it?

Have you considered that maybe the replacement phone isn't locked since it wasn't supplied from MSP stocks? Have you tested your daughter's SIM in it?

Worth a try but I assume this has been tried. Most phones replaced by insurance companies are either reconditioned or ex network stock (it's extremely rare a brand new phone is supplied as an exchange) IPhones particularly tricky as they a generally locked to specific networks via apples servers, unlike android devices that have unlock codes issued. The only exception is if iPhone purchased directly from apple. If the phone is 3 locked it is near impossible to unlock as apple will only unlock through a network request directly, as stated 3 don't recognise the imei and therefore will not request an unlock from Apple. But I do believe CPW and their 3rd insurance company coukd assist in this dilemma but tricky as I've found zero communication between networks, retailers and insurance companies re exchanged devices although perhaps there is a paper trail etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

First thing I tried

Advertisement