Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are roofs on new builds made out of wood and not steel?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mellor wrote: »
    They are significantly better on big jobs. For speed, services, and numberous other reasons.
    The issue is that have to be detailed properly, and installed properly, neither of which is particularly strong in Ireland. Maybe it's getting better, but in the past they weren;t even mentioning building design/architectural courses. Instead it was all Homebond guide.

I'd prefer my house construction to be "better" for it's useful life rather than during its construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

theguzman wrote: »
    Timber is good for nothing here in my own opinion it rots far too easily and Ireland has one of the worst miserable climates you can imagine for timber. The softwood crap that they plant here isn't worth a damn, fences and patio decking done during the boom have mainly rotted away now. Farmers on an never-ending journey of fencing with softwood stakes. Oak; the Brown oak is the only wood of any use I would use in structural timber because I am thinking longevity. More Concrete builds and Steel roofs should be encouraged I would say. Irish White Deal Spruce would be perfect for places like Dubai or Saudi Arabia where they are bone dry all the time but not Ireland.

There is a world of difference between a fence post and a rafter. They're completely different applications.

In a modern externally insulated roof the structural timbers don't even get cold, let alone wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,602 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd prefer my house construction to be "better" for it's useful life rather than during its construction.
    None of the issues I mentioned were construction benefits. That's the contractors area of concern.

Speed, might seem like a construction issue. But it's actually a budget one. Building more faster reduces cost for the client/owner.
    Services benefit should be a no brainer. Much easier to reticulate increased amount of services that you find in commercial jobs.
    Also much easier to dismount and reconfigure over time. Which has obvious commercial benefits for a client.

On the scale of a one off house, might not be of interest. As I said, on big jobs. Even the biggest house, is a very small job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lumen wrote: »
    There is a world of difference between a fence post and a rafter. They're completely different applications.

In a modern externally insulated roof the structural timbers don't even get cold, let alone wet.

If your rafters are getting wet you should confirm that you have them on the right side of the tiles! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Timber is good for nothing here in my own opinion it rots far too easily and Ireland has one of the worst miserable climates you can imagine for timber. The softwood crap that they plant here isn't worth a damn, fences and patio decking done during the boom have mainly rotted away now. Farmers on an never-ending journey of fencing with softwood stakes. Oak; the Brown oak is the only wood of any use I would use in structural timber because I am thinking longevity. More Concrete builds and Steel roofs should be encouraged I would say. Irish White Deal Spruce would be perfect for places like Dubai or Saudi Arabia where they are bone dry all the time but not Ireland.

Timber is good for nothing? It's great if maintained. It rains more in the Pacific Northwest and they build their homes with timber frames and wooden facades. No brickwork there and those houses are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

This is the classic outdated, old school response with not much thinking behind it.... although i agree the crap they plant is useless and very damaging environmentally

Advertisement