Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should convicts of serious crimes lose their vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What parties rely on people who sit on their hole all day ?

sinn fein?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

pgj2015 wrote: »
    sinn fein?

Willya feckin hold on , I'm still getting the popcorn ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Used extensively in the United States where, as you might imagine, it affects the black community. Trump said recently that if people found it easy to vote the Republicans would never get elected. if used here it would affect communities who are already deprived. United States is hardly a model to aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

touts wrote: »
    They should lose their vote for the period of their conviction. E.g. if a 10 year sentence and they only serve two or three years before getting out on early release as under the current system they still cannot vote until the full sentence is up.

But no doubt the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties and other criminal advocacy groups will throw a tantrum on Morning Ireland and Mountjoy will probably be made a standalone constituency with their own TDs and Senators.

you mean the irish council for civil liberties, and other liberty advocacy groups would raise legitimate concerns over such a proposal?

not seeing the problem with that tbh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

touts wrote: »
    They should lose their vote for the period of their conviction. E.g. if a 10 year sentence and they only serve two or three years before getting out on early release as under the current system they still cannot vote until the full sentence is up.

But no doubt the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties and other criminal advocacy groups will throw a tantrum on Morning Ireland and Mountjoy will probably be made a standalone constituency with their own TDs and Senators.

That gave me a good laugh. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

sinn fein?

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Remove the vote for IRA men?

Our countries best and most famous politicians were IRA men!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Remove the vote for IRA men?

Our countries best and most famous politicians were IRA men!

Except Gerry , El Beardo was never in the 'RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mate the IRA won our freedom in the 1st place

Dude, I’ve read some tripe on here but this takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,245 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No, however I'd like there to be a little test before voting to see do you know what you are voting for and if you fail.You loose your vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Surely if you do your time, you should be allowed to participate fully in society.

Prison is a massive loss of liberty, we should have a sense of this with the lockdown, let alone crapping in a bucket as some prisoners still have to do.

And the word is LOSE their vote:)

earlytobed wrote: »
    Surely if you do your time, you should be allowed to participate fully in society.

Prison is a massive loss of liberty, we should have a sense of this with the lockdown, let alone crapping in a bucket as some prisoners still have to do.

And the word is LOSE their vote:)

would you be happy with larry murphy voting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Yes. He served his time for the crime he was convicted of.

Ken. wrote: »
    Yes. He served his time for the crime he was convicted of.

There was an article I saw in the last few months about Larry, a criminologist or psychologist wrote it, that someone like him is still a threat until the day he dies, that he will still want to kill. Not the kind of person I want deciding who runs the country or what laws to change.

There was an article I saw in the last few months about Larry, a criminologist or psychologist wrote it, that someone like him is still a threat until the day he dies, that he will still want to kill. Not the kind of person I want deciding who runs the country or what laws to change.

They can say what they like for as long as they like. He done the time for his crime so is a free man.

If you go down the road of disallowing people we don't like not being allowed to vote it wouldn't be long before voting was stopped all together.

Also, at the end of the day Larry Murphy(to use your example) has one vote. If I remember correctly if he still lived where he is from he'd be in the wicklow constituency. No election there since his release has come down to a single vote.

Ken. wrote: »
    They can say what they like for as long as they like. He done the time for his crime so is a free man.

If you go down the road of disallowing people we don't like not being allowed to vote it wouldn't be long before voting was stopped all together.

Also, at the end of the day Larry Murphy(to use your example) has one vote. If I remember correctly if he still lived where he is from he'd be in the wicklow constituency. No election there since his release has come down to a single vote.

well there wouldnt be a problem if we only had 1 serious criminal in the country.

well there wouldn't be a problem if we only had 1 serious criminal in the country.

I don't get your point. Arguably there is probably more people who haven't been caught than have been caught,convicted,served and been released.

I'd say the person caught,convicted,released has more rights than the person not caught yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Yes, I'd be more worried about him re-offending

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

Probably be better trying to chance the law to keep people like that in prison than taking away their vote?

Everyone should be entitled to vote. Taking away criminals rights after release, wouldn't affect an election, there not enough of them in Ireland to be a major grouping anyway

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Native English speakers who use 'loose' when 'lose' is correct should lose their citizenship. I'm not using any terms loosely. These people are losers. Their grasp on basic grammar and spelling is pretty loose. I'm about to lose all hope for them.

• Advertisement

iamstop wrote: »
    Native English speakers who use 'loose' when 'lose' is correct should lose their citizenship. I'm not using any terms loosely. These people are losers. Their grasp on basic grammar and spelling is pretty loose. I'm about to lose all hope for them.

what if they have dyslexia?

Maybe grammar Nazis should lose their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the lose/loose typo a thing that might happen with dyslexia, or is it just from predictive words and which word is the default choice?

I think the second reason, even when swiping the above I ended up with 'work' instead of 'word' the first time...

Not your ornery onager

I meant to write lose when I made the thread but somehow wrote loose by mistake, I am well aware of the difference, but some people on here like to make a big deal of such issues.

A far fetched scenario here but just say you are on a ship, it crashes on a desert island, 40 people on the boat. 25 ex cons, (serious crimes) 15 law abiding citizens. there is a 1 man already living on the island.

one day the native man says he has come up with an idea on how to run the island. all the issues regarding running the island will be decided by voting. either all 41 people get 1 vote each or just the law abiding people get a vote, and he wants you to decide.

what is your choice?

He should of paid a little more attention in school.

Why? spelling lose as loose once on boards isn't going to ruin my life is it? :pac:

Sorted so we can drop that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Maybe convicts should be allowed to vote. But they can only vote for a politician with a conviction.

I meant to write lose when I made the thread but somehow wrote loose by mistake, I am well aware of the difference, but some people on here like to make a big deal of such issues.

A far fetched scenario here but just say you are on a ship, it crashes on a desert island, 40 people on the boat. 25 ex cons, (serious crimes) 15 law abiding citizens. there is a 1 man already living on the island.

one day the native man says he has come up with an idea on how to run the island. all the issues regarding running the island will be decided by voting. either all 41 people get 1 vote each or just the law abiding people get a vote, and he wants you to decide.

what is your choice?

I was actually just saying yesterday how this is such a frequent occurrence in native English speakers, then today I read your thread title. Timing I guess. :pac:

In answer to your OP question, I believe in second chances and rehabilitation. If the people who were convicted of the crimes paid their dues and did the time, they should be free to vote like everyone else. They are still people in society. While in jail? Perhaps no voting.

I also think (and there is strong evidence of this in the US and A) that banning convicted felons from voting can (and does) lead to an uptick in false convictions of specific demographics and/or minorities in order to suppress voting rights.

TD;DR - Yes, EX cons should be allowed to vote.

Im not sure if these people would vote much anyway but do you think people who have committed serious crimes like rape, murder, armed robbery etc loose their right to vote in elections, referendums?

I vote that they should lose their vote. who wants people like that deciding who runs the country or what changes are made to our constitution.

Also, you did it twice! Once in the title and once here. Okay, end of.

iamstop wrote: »
    Also, you did it twice! Once in the title and once here. Okay, end of.

How did you become a mod?

• Advertisement

Advertisement