Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty tegral slates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all that.

They will try the respray with me I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

yop wrote: »
    Thanks for all that.

They will try the respray with me I am sure.

Oh that's funny. I just popped into this thread, for a nosey, and our roof looks exactly like that - all discouloured. Our whole estate does. Built in 2002. Betcha its Tegral. Builders out of business now, so no come back I am sure

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ok, they came out for a look. Said it was pollution damage on the slates!
    Found 50 slates which were cracked, checked them and said it was "part of manufacturing process".
    Have offered a clean and repaint of the slates.

What do lads think of this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

is the repaint insitu?

BryanF wrote: »
    is the repaint insitu?

It is yes. They will do a full clean onsite and then a repaint ("4 times better than the original paint").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

It is yes. They will do a full clean onsite and then a repaint ("4 times better than the original paint").

what about the cracked slates

tred wrote: »
    what about the cracked slates
    They have no concern as the cracks "part of manufacturing process" :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

i dunno about this.. what sort of guarantee/ extended warranty are the offering?

BryanF wrote: »
    i dunno about this.. what sort of guarantee/ extended warranty are the offering?

Not a sausage.

I have 2 options here on this;
    1. Accept the repaint with a FULL extension on the color AND a replacement of the all the cracked slates.

2. Legal route - demand a full replaces of all the slates.

Though their site does state an issue with the color of the slates might result in a respray (loosly worded by me!)

Found the color guarantee;
    Looking like they will just do a respray and not a "new" roof

COLOUR GUARANTEE
    Tegral Building Products Ltd guarantee the Thrutone colourisation system for a period of 20 years. The slates will be affected
    by weather as described below and will take on a more matt
    appearance over time. However, when the roof is viewed from a reasonable distance, the slates will continue to show their
    generic colour appearance. If ThrutonePlus slates fail to give their generic colour appearance within the 20-year period, then an on-site treatment to the affected area(s) will be applied free of charge.
    This guarantee does not affect consumers' statutory rights.

WEATHERING
    On exposure the slate surface and/or its coating will be affected by weathering which may vary with site location, aspect, pitch
    of roof and duration of exposure. Any deterioration in this respect shall not detract from the mechanical and physical
    characteristics as specified in the standard or from the function of the slate as a durable element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jython98

I am trying to avoid tegral if possible, any alternatives apart from natural slate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

jython98 wrote: »
    I am trying to avoid tegral if possible, any alternatives apart from natural slate?

[snip] or [snip]. I am leaning towards [snip] but could change again lol.

Mod Note: @jython98. Hopefully you got the suggestions? If not, PM each other. Prefer not to have more companies named! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »
    [snip] or [snip]. I am leaning towards [snip] but could change again lol.

Mod Note: @jython98. Hopefully you got the suggestions? If not, PM each other. Prefer not to have more companies named! Thanks.

Apologies. I thought as they were both large well known companies that it was ok to name?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

893bet wrote: »
    Apologies. I thought as they were both large well known companies that it was ok to name?

That's o.k. We would prefer not to name companies good, bad or indifferent. This particular thread was started before my time!

Anyone ever have any progress with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

I know of 2 people who got a full replacement of slates. So if your having issues I would persevere.

no1murray wrote: »
    I know of 2 people who got a full replacement of slates. So if your having issues I would persevere.

Thank you for that. Would be interested if possible to know how they managed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

1 of these people was a solicitor. So im just guessing the treat of legal action. I priced the reslating, in the end tegral sent a crew of there own to carry out the work.

no1murray wrote: »
    1 of these people was a solicitor. So im just guessing the treat of legal action. I priced the reslating, in the end tegral sent a crew of there own to carry out the work.

Did it take you long before you succeeded in getting a reslate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 polymer1

Our House is 5 years old and over 11k spent on slates tegral. Paint has eroded from the edges of slates sporadically. Complained to tegral and was told to send in images and receipts. Done this and recieved a letter from them stating this was a result of weathering. I was frustrated with this as no rep was called to view the roof just a blanket letter sent refusing liability. I wonder would tegral put the image of the slate on there website stating this is what to expect under the infamous guarantee. Anyways I had an independant engineer assess the roof and he has confirmed that this is clearly a result of a batch of defective slates as the issue is not consistsnt throughout the roof. He also suggested the effected slates are clearly not taking on a Matt appearance but rather that paint/coating is clearly eroding. Further to this I have seeked legal advise regarding the tegral guarantee which is very loosely worded indeed. I have been advised to approach them again with this new information and if they don't respond go ahead with proceedings as its plain to see that they are not standing over the guarantee. Tegral now have agreed to send a rep out to view the roof but this was over 3 weeks ago. The lack of communication is simply apalling . I will wait another 2 weeks and issue proceedings against the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 poula1

Terrible Tegral

Slates cupping badly, discoloured slates, porous slates, brittle slates, all on the one roof! Tegral man made (not natural slate) . My own Engineer tells me that they will not last another winter. Rep from Tegral called and took one slate away to carry out tests. 3 weeks later when I contacted the company again they informed me that they could Not carry out a test as the slate contained Aspestos! They then informed me by letter that the roof had Minor problems and "not a cause for concern" Wow!! I am now in the process of stripping the entire roof and will let Solicitors deal with this Company. Stay away from Tegral!!!

Sad to say about an Irish Company in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnr71

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding Tegral Slates which are losing their colour.

Like many others it seems, the slates on my house are losing colour they seem to be pealing and curling.
    I built the house in 2006 ( direct labour) but the roof now looks like it is 50 years old !!

Can someone tell me how I should begin the process of trying to get Tegral to repair or replace the slates.
    Do I contact the building provider who supplied the slates or go directly to Tegral.

Will they send a rep ?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1 y2kkieron

Problems with Tegral products seems to be larger than Tegral would like to admit, but admitting liability for a bad or inferior product will be the last thing they will do, my issue arose in may 2016 when I noticed the slates on my garage were loosing colour and pitting as these slates were only 8 years old at the time and Tegral guaranteeing there products for 20 years, I contacted Tegral about the matter, they sent me a form to fill in with all details when built, builders name and particular product and where they were bought and also some photographic images, after filling in all details I forwarded it to Tegral, waited for 2 months no reply, contacted Tegral and they said they never received the form, filled in second form they never got it either, then a third one which they eventually received, I was told I put wrong address on envelope, not possible as I addressed all 3 envelopes with same address and they received the third, waited for Rep to call, eventually called and he told me it was an issue with coating and that Tegral would re-coat at no cost to me, he had to do report and would get notice of re-coating very soon, now its oct 2017 and I am still waiting for Tegral to re-coat my slates, why would Tegral guarantee there products if they cant stand by them if there's an issue. if possible stay away from Tegral products because if there is a problem they will not sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

y2kkieron wrote: »
    Problems with Tegral products seems to be larger than Tegral would like to admit, but admitting liability for a bad or inferior product will be the last thing they will do, my issue arose in may 2016 when I noticed the slates on my garage were loosing colour and pitting as these slates were only 8 years old at the time and Tegral guaranteeing there products for 20 years, I contacted Tegral about the matter, they sent me a form to fill in with all details when built, builders name and particular product and where they were bought and also some photographic images, after filling in all details I forwarded it to Tegral, waited for 2 months no reply, contacted Tegral and they said they never received the form, filled in second form they never got it either, then a third one which they eventually received, I was told I put wrong address on envelope, not possible as I addressed all 3 envelopes with same address and they received the third, waited for Rep to call, eventually called and he told me it was an issue with coating and that Tegral would re-coat at no cost to me, he had to do report and would get notice of re-coating very soon, now its oct 2017 and I am still waiting for Tegral to re-coat my slates, why would Tegral guarantee there products if they cant stand by them if there's an issue. if possible stay away from Tegral products because if there is a problem they will not sort it out.

I’m just starting this process. My slates are all pitted and eroded. I’ve contacted the building supply company that we bought the slates off. I’m hoping they will find our invoice/ receipt as I can’t find it. We have some slates left over that might be our saving grace. I would not accept a recoating if it was offered as I think this would eventually wear away too. We bought the slates in 2008 as well. How did you get on in the end???

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seanog1233

Got Nowhere, ended up replacing the whole roof. Some battens were wet and rotted as the "slate" was porous. Tegral you should be ashamed.!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Constantinople

Hi folks
    I am a journalist working on a story on this for one of the Sunday papers.
    I have spoken to one man already and need some more from around the country to chat to me to show this is a nationwide issue.
    I am on -snip- but need to talk to anyone interested ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Constantinople

Seems I cannot post my number here so please pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tom nort west

Hi I am interested in talking to you as I am fighting with them this past 5 years and after collecting alot of information and data on these slates I could do with a bit more help,

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Had forgotten about this tread till I looked at my slates lately , they came out and did a repaint and replaced about 100 slate for me , looking at my roof now it’s as bad as ever , I seen a neighbour who had same problem same time as me is after getting his coated a second time ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nunanddun

Hi. I have had issues and am now in the middle of a re-occurance...can fill you in. Let me know how to contact you?

Advertisement