Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HPLV Spraying - spraying edges trouble

• 06-07-2020 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of spraying Zinsser 123 on shelves. And I'm getting a run on the bottom edges of the shelves.

I'm laying the shelves on their flat and spraying the edges first and spraying the flat side, allowing that to dry then spraying the other flat side. The flat side is laying down perfect, but the edges are a bugger. I've tried turning down the fluid volume but that doesn't seem to work. The shelves are 30mm thick.

Is there any tips to get the edges not running?

I've just watched a video on YouTube where the guy set the spray pattern to 45 degrees and closed up the fan. Does this seem correct?

I've about 20 hours spraying experience behind me but this is the first time I've had to spray edges like this on the vertical.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cant you spray the edges when they are flat also?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

GreeBo wrote: »
    Cant you spray the edges when they are flat also?

That would mean a long wait time between runs.

I wanted to hit the sides the top then drying time for that then the other side.

As you can see from the photo there's a chamfer one side. So quite awkward to do this.

I'm currently removing the bottom edge runs with a sponge to soak up any unwanted paints. This is okay for the primer as it'll get a light sanding before the top coat but not it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You should be able to hit the chamfer side without having to get it level.

Are you maybe just applying too much per coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

GreeBo wrote: »
    You should be able to hit the chamfer side without having to get it level.

Are you maybe just applying too much per coat?

Perhaps this is so and that I'm impatient but it appears the atomised paint is not welding together after a few seconds so I end up flicking the gun across again. It looks fine for half a minute but the paint then starts to sag.

A heat controlled spray booth would probably the solution but I only have a shed to thinker in.

Advertisement