Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

top end rain jacket

Options
  • 29-06-2020 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

Our lovely summer weather has me looking at maybe getting a top end rain jacket.

Names that have come up so far are Gore Shake-dry, Sportful Stelvio and Castelli Idro. I've found the rapha race cape too, like the fact it's a bright colour but it doesn't seem to give any waterproof rating. https://www.rapha.cc/eu/en/shop/mens-pro-team-race-cape/product/RNC07XXOGT.

Velorevolution also have a nice one and wondering if anyone had any experience with theirs either? https://velorevolution.selz.com/item/velo-ultimate-raceday-rain-cape-1-1

For Jackets like the shake dry and stelvio, do they need to be treated after a few uses or are they just like a normal jacket? I see they say as well you can't wear a bag with them, probably because they are delicate enough and it will cause damage from the straps, but are they okay to be folded up and put in your jersey pocket or are they more made from start to wear from start to finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

The shake-dry material is not a treated material that's treated with some sort of DWR that wears off after time, the material itself is inherently waterproof. The reason many variations of the the shake-drys were plain black for so long was that this exact trait made them very difficult to dye with any sort of colour. Perfectly fine for storing in a jersey pocket when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

What about something a bit cheaper the Galibier Mistral seems to get great reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

talkabout wrote: »
    What about something a bit cheaper the Galibier Mistral seems to get great reviews?

The Mistral is a cold weather jacket with a DWR coating. The Tourmalet and Tempest are Galibier's rain jackets. https://galibier.cc/long-sleeve-wear/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers folks. Not looking for something too heavy, already have plenty of jackets for that type of weather! looking for something a little lighter. I'm not too keen on the treated jackets, mainly cos it relies on me to re-treat them and knowing the way I am I can see me skipping that! Galibier stuff if nice but their jacket doesn't seem to be rated as waterproof as the others mentioned, most are 20,000mm, galibier is 9000mm. Would I notice the difference? Probably not but I'm looking for something as waterproof as possible.

Does anyone have experience of the velorevolution one? I'd like to buy local if I can and have some of their gear that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Castelli idro pro 2 is expensive but worth it. Keeps you dry and is fairly breathable and very light. I use mine all year round.. wouldn't be without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

The galibier tempest has a good review here and anyway galibier is based out of co down so is local enough. I've never got anything bad quality from them although I've had some stuff that fitted a bit loose for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hard to look past the shakedry. Packs tiny, blocks the rain and the wind.

To be fair, I haven't worn mine an all-day downpour (I tend to pull up the duvet if it's that bad out!), but even if it does let the rain in, I know it'll stop the wind.

If you just want something that is pretty good, and small enough that you always have with you - go for the shakedry.
    Mine lives in a bottle-cage storage thing, along with a helmet cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I have found this one too now,

https://www.assos.com/equipe-rs-rain-jacket?gender=M&color=145

Takes the DWR treatment but I think I can convince myself to keep on top of that. Looks like a decent price, and assos stuff is normally well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

https://galibier.cc/product/tourmalet/

Another vote for galibier ( besides being more than fair as a businessman, that lad is a genuime keen cyclist)

I have this jacket.
    Ive ridden through the heaviest rain for over 2 hours and remained dry and it doesnt do the boil in the bag thing.
    It does fit in jersey pocket and the red and white are visible as well as stylish .
    It can be worn after the showers pass and wont overheat - a plus in showery weather .

Its also good enough as a wind jacket .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Another to consider is the Columbia outdry ex range.

They don't have cycling specific stuff, but some of their trail running stuff is suitable.

It kind of has a rubbery feeling, but it's super water proof and quite breathable.

I've 2 variants of the shakedry jacket too (one gore and one under armour) ,nine worn outside of the house as they're a bit too big at this stage.

Anyway, for pure waterproofing and breathability, shakedry or outdry ex are your best bets.

Santini Guard is another one. it feels similar to outdry ex but not quite as breathable.

If you were going some DWR , Parentini Vita is great. I got rid of my gabba because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you can find what you want in the Galibier range, they are top people to deal with, no problem with returns.
    I have one of their winter jackets, quality is every bit as good as Castelli, fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rocketpocket

The galibier tempest is very good in heavy rain, would rate it as the best cycling rain jacket ive had.Not too expensive either.

The VeloRevolution and Assos jackets are both as/more expensive than a Gore ShakeDry. I would (and did) buy the ShakeDry. I would probably rate it as one of, if not the best cycling related purchase I've made in over a decade. It's on a very short list of things, that if anything happened to it on a ride, as soon as the ride was over I would be online to purchase a new one. I think I've had mine for over a year now. Full time commuter. I try to avoid wearing it with a backpack regularly but I have done plenty, and the only bit of wear it's showing is one of the Gore letters on the sleeve has started to lift a bit. Read any review/grouptest (and take their word with a pinch of salt if you like) for probably the last 5 years and it is consistently the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Gore Shake Dry.
    Light. Packable and works. Time after Time.
    I have mine going on about 2yrs now.
    Tucked mine into my gilet pocket leaving the house on sat morn. 30mins into the spin and it came out for the remainder of the rain sodden spin including the torrantial downpour at the end.
    Bone dry underneath it.
    PLus it was worn by some of the lads on RAI last year and got an good endorsement form them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The galibier tempest is very good in heavy rain, would rate it as the best cycling rain jacket ive had.Not too expensive either.

With your name I would have thought you'd be recommending the Altura Pocket Rocket :)
    I got 8 years out of my first one and am equally pleased with my current one. Fully waterproof on a 4hr wet spin, non-sweat unless you have too many layers underneath, comes in the club colour and fits in a jersey pocket. No heat retention on a cold wet descent but good at preventing wind chill otherwise.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Another to consider is the Columbia outdry ex range.

They don't have cycling specific stuff, but some of their trail running stuff is suitable.

It kind of has a rubbery feeling, but it's super water proof and quite breathable.

I've 2 variants of the shakedry jacket too (one gore and one under armour) ,nine worn outside of the house as they're a bit too big at this stage.

Anyway, for pure waterproofing and breathability, shakedry or outdry ex are your best bets.

Santini Guard is another one. it feels similar to outdry ex but not quite as breathable.

If you were going some DWR , Parentini Vita is great. I got rid of my gabba because of it.

True - I've worn my (cheapest model) walking outdry on the bike, in ridiculous weather, and found it great. It feels really solid (that 'oilskin' feeling) and is (IMHO) even more waterproof than Goretex. Far too warm to wear on a long fast ride, but when next I feel rich, I might get the trail-running one (200 euro at the mo 8-( ...). Can't see it fitting in a water bottle, but if I know the day is manky from moment one, I'd rather OutDry than Goretex.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I recently bought a galibier tempest and its great for the price. Would recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 on the Gore shake dry.
    I got mine around this time last year in a sale and it is one of the best cycling related items I own - after my good bike!
    As said already, it packs small and works as advertised. Very hard to beat

If going with a shakedry jacket, I'd just stick with a gore one.

Castelli, Rapha, Haglhoff, 7mesh and Mavic have all made one that offer absolutely no more protection than the Gore one ,.maybe just a different cut but smacked on at least a 50quid premium over the Gore one which comes up for sale now and then.

I had an idro, and even allowing for castelli sizing, it was just too small. Though my gore is too big (XL) and so is my large Under Armour one

The C5 is relaxed cut and C7 race cutnin the gore range.

On the outdry. If you know anyone in the states, they can be picked up at about half the price there sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I use a Gore shakedry too. Typical clothing this time of year is just jersey and bibs with the shakedry in a back pocket and arm warmers either on or also in big pocket. This covers everything for typical summer conditions.

Everyone here raves about the shakedry but the one big negative for me is how un aerodynamic it is. It is a fairly tight fit but it flaps like mad in wind and when testing one a hill with a power meter I found a drop of over 1.5 km/hr when wearing it. This isn't an issue for general use but ultimately I'll be looking for something else for racing.

• Advertisement

I used my shakedry today.

Now it was only for a little while to test it out but damn it's impressive.

It's too big for me though so was billowing a bit. But a wild wind and rain was blowing on the featherbeds

I also wore a dhb rain defence top today. As good as a gabba I have to say, other than the pockets are a bit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

The stretch version is a significantly more aero cut. But jaysus I wouldn't for the life of me wear it racing. You'd only have to look at chip seal and it'd disintegrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Another recommendation on the Shakedry.. The Castelli Idro is just using/licensing the Shakedry tech and branding as Castelli.

I got the Hiking version of the Shakedry, and managed to get it considerably cheaper - only difference is that it has a hood and doesn't have the stretch on back of the shoulders. They pack up very small and are fully waterproof, and good and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Have had my Rapha rain jacket for at least 5 years - can't remember when I bought it. Still waterproof and packs up small. Keep it in my bag for commuting to work as its the only road cycling I do these days. Has been well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Yes castelli idro pro 2 is same jacket as the shakedry but looks a lot better in my opinion... best bit of kit I own.

dited wrote: »

Bigger sizes in women's, incidentally. 144 STG is pretty competitive all right.

Advertisement