Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from Android to iPhone

Options
  • 23-06-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I will be making the jump from Android to iPhone soon and i was just wondering is their a simple way to make the switch.

I will need to transfer my Whatsapp messages and that would be a big priority, does anyone know how to do that. I have had a look around online and there seems to be no definitive answer.

Will also need to transfer my contacts but im guessing the easiest way to do that is just pull them from Google Services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    I will be making the jump from Android to iPhone soon and i was just wondering is their a simple way to make the switch.

I will need to transfer my Whatsapp messages and that would be a big priority, does anyone know how to do that. I have had a look around online and there seems to be no definitive answer.

Will also need to transfer my contacts but im guessing the easiest way to do that is just pull them from Google Services.

I could be wrong but I don't think there's a way to transfer Whatsapp messages from Android to iOS or vice/vera. Transferring contacts should be simple enough, I believe there's a plethora of ways, apps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Doing some research and apparently there is a way, but a lot of the apps that provide the service are quite untrustworthy. Dr Fone seems to be quite popular

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Easiest way if you're on android is to backup your contacts and that to google then set that account up on iOS and sync everything down to your phone.

You can also get the move to iOS app from the google store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios

Now pending on your phone the above app may not work. I know it didn't with my previous Sony phone due to how they locked it down but it's worth a shot.

Regarding WhatsApp that will not be covered by the above. You cannot migrate whatsapp from one to the other. If you're going iPhone to new iPhone or android to android upgrade it's fine. It's all down to the backup storage encryption. Google drive and iCloud are not compatible with each others encryption (for good reason) so you cannot migrate them from one platform to another. There are services out there that offer this however keep in mind you're handing over all your messages to a 3rd party company. As someone who specializes in cloud security (it's my job) I've yet to come across a reliable service for this that would make me happy from a security point of view. Up to you though.

Personally last time I moved from android to iOS I cleared out WhatsApp of all the crap I was just holding onto and really it got it down to about 3 messages which I exported and mailed to myself for keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Doing some research and apparently there is a way, but a lot of the apps that provide the service are quite untrustworthy. Dr Fone seems to be quite popular

ive used dr.fone in the past. it works. have to pay for it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

how did you get on with transferring your whatsapp messages - did you use dr fone or similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

how did you get on with transferring your whatsapp messages - did you use dr fone or similar?

In the end i just gave in and didn't transfer the messages. Started fresh on the iPhone, didn't feel entirely comfortable handing over all of my messages via any third-party app/service. The messages are backed up on google drive if i ever need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

In the end i just gave in and didn't transfer the messages. Started fresh on the iPhone, didn't feel entirely comfortable handing over all of my messages via any third-party app/service. The messages are backed up on google drive if i ever need them.

Thanks for the update - kind of feel the same myself!

Advertisement