Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic insulation Metac v Knauf Earthwool

• 29-11-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, looking for opinions on attic insulation. New build house and looking for a high spec.

Options : 1
    Moy Metac - 220mm, u value of 0.34 installed between joists.
    . Knauf Earth wool 200 mm, u value 0.44 rolled 90 degrees to joists to break cold bridge in attic.

2 : use 200mm earthwool between joists instead of Metac and 200mm earthwool also rolled 90 degrees as above.

My question is, there's a difference in price of approx 2k between the 2 different installations. I have no issue paying for the Metac but is it a 2k superior product when I'm achieving approx 0.1 of a difference in u value. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How does the u value compare if you spend the 2 K extra on thicker knauf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Fendt712 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for opinions on attic insulation. New build house and looking for a high spec.

Options : 1
    Moy Metac - 220mm, u value of 0.34 installed between joists.
    . Knauf Earth wool 200 mm, u value 0.44 rolled 90 degrees to joists to break cold bridge in attic.

2 : use 200mm earthwool between joists instead of Metac and 200mm earthwool also rolled 90 degrees as above.

My question is, there's a difference in price of approx 2k between the 2 different installations. I have no issue paying for the Metac but is it a 2k superior product when I'm achieving approx 0.1 of a difference in u value. Thanks in advance.

You are getting 29% more heat retention 'value' with the 0.034 over the 0.044w/m²K material, if the 0.034 material is 29% greater in cost than cheaper 0.44 material and you have the available space the more economical solution would be to increase the depth of insulatiion using only the 0.044 material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey, I found this looking up MOY insulation. I need some rolls to insulate a van . The local providers don't have earthwool, but have "moy insulation":

Moy 100mm 0.037wmk
    Mineral wool
    €39 - 14m2

14m2 should be plenty for the places I need it. I'm just not sure would it suit in a van. Earthwool suits fine, there's two differnet earthwools, rock and glass, both are ok for vans from what I can see, I'm just not sure how moy compares?!

Advertisement