Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving my family from the uk back to Ireland

Options
  • 09-04-2018 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi peeps
    Im completely torn on a decision to move home to Ireland or /ni for a year now. Reasons for coming home is to be closer to friends and family . More support with our children.

I was really set in my mind about going home but everyone is so set against it because of the job situation. My hubby would take a much lower pay and career status,
    Its made me start me doubting it .

The thing is all these Irish people telling me not to go back have never left Ireland ! they really dont know whats its like to have no family to call upon or close friends thats all taking for granted.
    I realise peeps back home are down because of lack off jobs etc . I think lack of both can lead to unhappiness.

Has anyone came home and it was successfully
    Also would love replies from peeps who have left ireland as there is a proper understanding of both situations.

Thanks x

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hi!

I left, lived in US for 3.5 years, made 40-50% more money there, hated it, came home, am THRILLED to be back. You cant buy love, culture, family.

I still make great money, and while Ireland is RIDIC in terms of costs, I still earn a great living relative to everything here.

I felt lonely, that was my main issue. You can always come back for a year or two and if it doesnt work out, leave again.

I know how awful indecision and lots of advice can be, but trust your gut is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I thought unemployment was next to zero at this stage? Sure everyone is rich from selling bricks to each other :)

No advice, OP but we’ll probably be in the same boat sooner or later. Our only issue is the nursing is so poor in Ireland that my wife would be taking a significant step backwards in her career. I’d assume I would be on more money were we to return but money really isn’t a dominant factor.

It would be great to be back close to family. Our little one could have a much better relationship with everyone - and it wouldn’t rely on a smartphone screen. Dublin is so much better than London, it has all the same things, they’re just closer together. Urban English pubs are crap for the most part. Also the grandparents are getting on a little and we both feel we’d need to be around to help out.

We’re about 3 months into a 2 year fixed mortgage now, that’s the figurative line in the sand when a decision will be made

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

For what it is worth, I think move back to Ireland if you value close relationship with family, a better sense of humour and treatment of respect from others in your community.

I am currently back home in Ireland for bereavement leave and I just find people are genuinely friendly, whereas, where I would live in England, people are overconsumed by the rat race (get a mortgage, a well-paying job, those damn foreigners are taking our jobs yet they do the work English people won't do). Of course, you say the UK, but I am referring to Northern England specifically where, there are pros, lower cost of living, NHS depending on where you love, a better chance when young at getting work experience/a career.

However humour is very different, Education system is so flawed with constant testing (I'm an Irish teacher, UK trained) and data use. Kids learn to pass an exam and they don't learn how to think...generalisation alert is going off in my head but when you go to some insular areas of England, you can see how kids grow up. Also, kids grow up far too quickly over here whereas I think kids in Ireland are allowed to be kids, and grow up with that bit of innocence that shields them in part from the crap they have to deal with growing older (mortgages, having babies.....

Ultimately, it is down to what you value.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kk333

You d be mad to come back here honestly stay where ye are you arn't so fare away you cant visit. There good jobs and life in Dublin but you d be paying through the nose for rent. The majority of the country towns are still fecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Have a thought for your kids. If they are of school age it will be hugely difficult to uproot them and then, depending on where you move back to, they will be outsiders. It happened to me, moving with my parents to Ireland in the 1970s, and it was hellish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fefee wrote: »
    More support with our children.
    My hubby would take a much lower pay and career status
    How much do you pay for childcare now, and how much will the difference in wage be?

This is something to consider when you talk of wage loss; it may not be so much of a loss when you take in expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

To be honest you live in the UK not half way around the world. If you both have decent jobs you can pretty much go home every weekend if you really wanted too. Xmas, birthdays , long weekends etc. I would understand if you were struggling with money and needed support from your family to look after the kids. How many times would you think you would see your family if you lived in Cork and they were in Dublin? Probably a handful of times.

Advertisement