Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coaching U7's/mini rugby - HELP!!!

• 16-01-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all - I started coaching the U7's team in September and by-and-large it is an enjoyable activity and I do like to be contributing to the club in some way. Our club starts at U7 so for all the children it was their first time playing rugby. With that in mind, I think we've done well in teaching the rules and the basics of the game and above all they are enjoying it as we have consistent numbers at training and for games.

Now for the help needed - the 2 basic areas of the game that I'm having lots of trouble getting across is RUNNING STRAIGHT and PASSING [ideally backwards].

Maybe its a natural tendency but when one of the children get the ball they look for space and run in that direction - even if this is across the pitch or backwards. Anyone any good tips or experience on how to change this behaviour to have them run straight and forward?

Regarding the passing the problem is 2 fold - the person with the ball wanting to pass, the supporting players being in the right position [close and behind the player with the ball]. Its still a bit of a free for all with children only passing after being told loads of time and when they do the pass to anyone cose where ever they are. Again, anyone have any tips or experience on this one.

Above all we want the training and matches to be fun and so are trying to avoid repetitive drills. Just really interested to know how others coaching at a similar level are getting on and whats working for them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭rje66

trawl through here , maybe there are some drill to help

http://www.irbcoaching.com/drills/Rugby/index.jsp?dec=IRB08&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Do 3 on 2 drills where the attacking team has an overlap.

Maybe they need to see HOW running straight effects the space around them, and why passing is important.

Teach them take the tackle and offload out of it while your at it in this drill also, and how straight running and passing ends in a try.

Other than that, maybe do "lanes" where they need to stay in between the cones (which are straight) and have them pass from side to side along the line to show them the way the ball is supposed to do all the work getting across the field, not them?

Sorry, it's hard to know what you might have tried, but perhaps training their brain through drills and repetition will get through, which will then manifest it's self when they play the game.

Final solution would be penalise players for not running straight in the games, so their only option is run straight or pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 JA1

I found a good way to get the point across with my son who is seven and playing for 2 and a half years now.

Clearly mark or indicate the tryline then get them to stand a few metres away from the tryline and have each kid run with the ball from side to side parallel to the line mimicing the crabbing and running backwards kids of this age do.

Ask them to score a try while still running parallel to the tryline! This should get the point across as it did with my son who soon copped its better to run straight than sideways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I started this year also but luckily we have a lot of support in the club between parents and professional rugby coaches and administrators. One guy who works in the IRB did a fantastic course with us covering all ages. It became quite technical and I got loads out of it.

He then asked us what we wanteed to get out of it and I said I was doing under 7's and he said, all that matters at that age is that they have fun and your measure of success is to keep getting the numbers down. I took that onboard took a chill pill for the training and we play lots of games(some with a ball some not) do obstacle courses and mess a fair bit. All the things we do work on physical literacy (agilty balance co-ordination) but not obviously so.
    We do drills but again focus is on enjoyment. The above advice is all good and we do train tracks etc. Mostly they want to play games against one and other so we finish off with a few games of 4 or 5 aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

All good advice above, the penny will drop with them eventually, could even be at U11 or 12. They will realise that they can't win the games by themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ReallyWiggy

thanks all for the inputs - can't agree more on trying to keep it as much fun as possible. also trying to make sure that they are at least getting the basics of the game. We've played 3 matches so far against other clubs and another 7 to go that is a great sense of occasion for them.

I'm more relaxed now that others have the same expereinces!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

maybe throw up some drills that people use at the mini age grouops so people can share and compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Do you get them to do relays as drills?

We've used that in the past where four rows of cones are set up. The kids are lined up on the first row in lines of 4 or 5.

On the whistle they pick up the ball run to the second line and do a designated action with the ball e.g. throw it in the air and catch it - then on to the next line and maybe roll the ball on the ground and pick it up before running to the final line and rolling the ball around their belly before running back and passing to the next guy. The actions can become more complicated as they progress - it gets them used to working in groups.

We also used to run simple 6-a-side touch or tag games with variations to address running and passing "tendencies" - for example getting everyone to shout the name of the player with the ball; putting two cones on different parts of the try line and only allowing tries to be scored there; and 3/4 passes before a try could be scored.

We also ran a game where at the end of each phase (basically when a try was scored) - the coaches had to do one push-up for each good pass, or 5 push ups for each tackle made - now that encouraged solid tackling and multiple passing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ReallyWiggy

these were the drills we did this week with the U7's. I like the idea above of rewarding the kids by having the coaches do something - like press ups for each good pass - good for them and coaches alike!

Warm Up
    Stuck in the Mud - 5m X 5m grid, 5 kids per grid, tackler must touch 2 hands on hips, runners look for space and avoid
    Bulldog - 5m X 10m grid, 5 kids per grid, tackler must touch 2 hands on hips, runners look for space and avoid, tackled attackers become defenders for the next run

Skills
    Relay - teams of 5 - one at a time run 10m, perform a skill [throw ball up, pass around waist twice, score a try], run back and hand ball off to next child. groups race against each other
    Passing and running straight - 3 lanes side by side - 1m wide X 20m long. 1 child in each lane passing the ball along the line while staying within their lane

Match
    8vs8 on large pitch. 1 ref, 1 coach with attacking team and 1 with defending team. Practices how to line up in defense and attack.

Overall worked quite well but the match is still a free for all most of the time. Would like to move to smaller numbers playing a match but have only 3 coaches so we use them all in the one game.

Interested to see others plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

@Reallywiggy, Are there many parents standing watching training? IF so rope some in. We've got about 50 kids registered at are getting 40 a week but we've normally 10 coaches each time. We managed to do this by asking parents to help out and most were delighted to.

You're format is broadly similar but we change things each week and also do things like obstacle courses for physical literacy and for a bit of fun. We can only do this with plenty of coaches tho. Hard thing I'm finding is dealing with the skills gaps between different kids some are really good and others struggle to even concentrate or not batter other children:eek:

Keep up the good work. Big blitz in DLSP this Sunday kids/coaches can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just seen this on the LB site; it might be of help to the OP if it's not too late. As a rule, if you are keen to go then call and see about space on the day or on upcoming dates.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/events/8479.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 756 ✭✭✭4PP

Great to see so many responses on this subject! Irish rugby is in good hands.
    I'll give my tuppence worth, if I may, on the "training" of U7s.

FUN

Thats all there is to it.

If the kids are having fun they will eventually apply your message, even though it may take a season or two for some of them.

U7s rugby should never be about winning.
    If kids are ripping the ball out of their own team-mates hands don't worry about it. At least they are showing enthousiasm.

The serious stuff will come soon enough so let them enjoy it & above all ignore all the overbearing parents (you know who you are) wondering why you haven't suggested special lessons/a place in an academy for their wunderkid!.

Eric Bechu (Montpellier coach) wrote a wonderfull article on coaching kids recently & if someone can tell me how to post a "scan" I'll put it up.

In it he mentions his coach as a child who believed the most important things a child has to learn in rugby,

1: be able to tie his/her laces

2: know which way to run on the field

3: THE most important one, ABOVE ALL OTHERS!!

Learn by heart the words to the rugby songs sang on the bus!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DonHarney

I have to agree with 4PP its all about Fun.
    As the kids grow in to the game year on year the skills that you are trying to instill will gradually sink in.
    the IRFU LTPD plan focuses on keeping the children in the game ( u-7 to 6 Nations) therefore if you constantly force Boring drills down their throats they will go somewhere else.
    You have a long way to go to U12 when emphasis shifts to more competitive rugby.
    A good measure of your success is a growth in numbers year on year and not how many games you win.

Good luck

Yours in Rugby

DH:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

I couldn't agree more. It should be all about FUN.

At that age I think the motto should be "Just let them play"

If they enjoy it they will keep coming back and they will bring their friends. Like Don said if at the end of the season you have more players than at the start you are doing it right. I would also add that if you have more parnets offering to help you are also doing well.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Curnode

Folks - We are heading into a new season of rugby in the next few weeks . Does anyone have a link to drills and games suitable for U7s ??
    All advice gladly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Curnode wrote: »
    Folks - We are heading into a new season of rugby in the next few weeks. Does anyone have a link to drills and games suitable for U7s ??
    I see your location is North Tipperary. Are you involved in Nenagh Ormond and if not what club are you involved in?

Divide the players into four equal groups and set up each group on one of the corners of the playing area maybe 5 or so metres apart.
    Give one of the players a ball to start the game. The players must pass the ball counter clockwise around the playing area, from one corner to the next. Once a player has passed the ball, they follow it to join the back of the group they have thrown to. If the players are finding this drill too easy, add a second ball. You can also make this rugby drill more of a challenge by asking each passer not to join the next group, but the group after that (the second group round). If successful, each passer can miss two groups to run round to the third group. Next, ask each passer to try to run round back to their original group.

How many of the kids who will be playing have played before?
    Dan Cottrell has some alright drills. Talk to your youth officer, other club coaches for advice on drills etc

• Subscribers Posts: 41,843 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Curnode wrote: »
    Folks - We are heading into a new season of rugby in the next few weeks . Does anyone have a link to drills and games suitable for U7s ??

I coached 7's for 3 years.
    Send me your email by pm and ill send you on what I've gathered over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Way too complicated for u7s in my experience TLS which was mostly lacking in enough coaches to run more complicated drills.

The Leinster Rugby underage coaching cards folder were a great help that I got doing the mini coaching course are a great starting point though.

Should be resources that Munster Rugby through their community dev officer would be more than happy to give you if you asked.

Always ask other coaches too. Gain the benefit of their experience as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KunKun

Stop playing bulldogs. Teaches kids exactly what you are trying to avoid.

Advertisement