Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is an Architectural Technician?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MDGAT

While both CIAT and RIAI might claim to be that body, neither has been officially ordained by Government, and in the absence of this happening confusion reigns.

Can anyone advise how we should proceed to have OUR profession finally recognised in this country. Can we find out how many '000 academically trained AT's there are? forget the opinion of RIAI members they have their representing body and good luck to them. I think it is about time WE organised ourselves and became 'ORDAINED' by Government. I would imagine now is a good time to organise, particularly with social media and the Elections in 2 years time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

MDGAT wrote: »
    While both CIAT and RIAI might claim to be that body, neither has been officially ordained by Government, and in the absence of this happening confusion reigns.

Can anyone advise how we should proceed to have OUR profession finally recognised in this country. Can we find out how many '000 academically trained AT's there are? forget the opinion of RIAI members they have their representing body and good luck to them. I think it is about time WE organised ourselves and became 'ORDAINED' by Government. I would imagine now is a good time to organise, particularly with social media and the Elections in 2 years time.

There should still be a database from the ATI days.

Actually the Big mistake with ATI was their bias towards riai.
    Looks like a glaring error now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MDGAT

Hi Syn,

Ok...so how do I contact the ATI???

I have experience of WIT and I have a family member currently doing his degree, I will make contact and see if I can get the contacts for the past members.

I also know a couple of CIAT members who I could network with, I'm sure CIAT members would be in favour of a campaign to be recognised.

I have found the CIAT to be very helpful and without doubt they are the best body currently promoting our profession. The also promote PI and CPD, which is most important going forward.

Are there many AT's using Boards or similar? How can I canvas for interest...

MDG

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭THE DON FANUCCI

sydthebeat wrote: »
    to view a technicians competencies as dealing with drafting and coordination of informations is incorrect and misses out the fundemental aspect of a technicians education. He/she is a problem solver. The best projects are as a result of an architect pushing the boundaries of design and thus pushing the boundaries as to what is buildable. The architect designs, the technician makes buildable.... an equal and productive partnership.

As i have mentioned before, on small projects it may acceptable that the one professional carries out both duties. There is a view that i would subscribe to that if one person is carrying out both duties, design and buildability, then neither skill is being pushed to its limit. The designer will find the design constrained by their own inherent limits in buildability. If the designer is not bound by these limits then the design can be pushed beyond the practical to the aspirational.

I would put it to some of the 'old school' architects who consider all architects to be technicians that they are actually doing themselves a disservice. Their core skill should be in the production of designs that continually push the profession of architecture forward. The technicians core skill is in the area of problem resolution given a set array of parameters. The architect at design stage has less tangible constraints to work in and should exploit this freedom.

Lads, who draws up the detailed builders drawings that I give my blocklayer as opposed to the planning permission sketches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lads, who draws up the detailed builders drawings that I give my blocklayer as opposed to the planning permission sketches?
    An Architectural Technicain/Technologist is best suited for the reasons mentioned above.

But Engineers and/or Architects may produce similar drawings at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Probably a stupid question but is an architectural technician the best person to advise and help with getting planning permission?

Have a green field site but not a great understanding of the process. From what ive read, I hire an arch tech, we come up with a broad plan for the house, have a pre planning meeting with the council and then draw up final plans from there before applying?

Just want to make sure before I post in the looking for a tradesman thread.

Advertisement