Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect or Engineer??

Options
  • 06-09-2020 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi. We have a converted garage extension to the side of the house. We're looking to knock and rebuild it, going a bit bit wider and bringing it and a new porch about 1.5m out the front. Of course, I need planning permission. What I want to do is just get one person in who can do up the drawings to submit to the council and supply to builders for quotes- a one stop shop. I really don't want to have to be getting multiple people involved to do their own individual bit. Am I looking for an architect, a structural engineer, a surveyor? Its about 35sqm, a very straightforward build. What costs should I expect (planning, drawings) to bring me to build stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Hi Kelbal,

To answer to question correctly, it really depends on a number of factors, under normal circumstances any number of building professionals can prepar planning and tender drawings i.e. Architecturl Technicians, Architects or engineers,
    But from a building control perspective if your not 'self certifying' then you would need a registered Architect, or chartered engineer/surveyer.
    but even then if you for example hire an Architect, but it turns out your garage requires structural work, then you would need to bring in a structural engineer also.
    So ultimately it really depends on the scope and scale of the project and the best place to start is talk to a couple of Architects or Technicians about your project to get their professional opinion
    hope this helps.

Advertisement